Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Don't mess with Seniors

Go down 
+3
LC
joefrank
Abe F. March
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Don't mess with Seniors Empty
PostSubject: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Seniors Banking... PRICELESS!!

Shown below, is an actual letter that was sent to a bank by an 86 year old woman.
The bank manager thought it amusing enough to have it published in the Times.

Dear Sir:

I am writing to thank you for bouncing my cheque with which I endeavoured to pay my plumber last month.

By my calculations, three nanoseconds must have elapsed between his presenting the cheque and the arrival in my account of the funds needed to honor it..

I refer, of course, to the automatic monthly deposit of my entire pension, an arrangement which, I admit, has been in place for only eight years.

You are to be commended for seizing that brief window of opportunity, and also for debiting my account £30 by way of penalty for the inconvenience caused to your bank.

My thankfulness springs from the manner in which this incident has caused me to rethink my errant financial ways. I noticed that whereas I personally answer your telephone calls and letters, --- when I try to contact you, I am confronted by the impersonal, overcharging, pre-recorded, faceless entity which your bank has become.

From now on, I, like you, choose only to deal with a flesh-and-blood person.

My mortgage and loan repayments will therefore and hereafter no longer be automatic, but will arrive at your bank, by cheque, addressed personally and confidentially to an employee at your bank whom you must nominate.

Be aware that it is an OFFENSE under the Postal Act for any other person to open such an envelope.

Please find attached an Application Contact which I require your chosen employee to complete.

I am sorry it runs to eight pages, but in order that I know as much about him or her as your bank knows about me, there is no alternative.

Please note that all copies of his or her medical history must be countersigned by a Notary Public figure, and the mandatory details of his/her financial situation (income, debts, assets and liabilities) must be accompanied by documented proof.

In due course, at MY convenience, I will issue your employee with a PIN number which he/she must quote in dealings with me.

I regret that it cannot be shorter than 28 digits but, again, I have modelled it on the number of button presses required of me to access my account balance on your phone bank service.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Let me level the playing field even further.

When you call me, press buttons as follows:

IMMEDIATELY AFTER DIALLING, PRESS THE STAR (*) BUTTON FOR ENGLISH

#1. To make an appointment to see me

#2. To query a missing payment.

#3. To transfer the call to my living room in case I am there.

#4 To transfer the call to my bedroom in case I am sleeping.

#5. To transfer the call to my toilet in case I am attending to nature.

#6. To transfer the call to my mobile phone if I am not at home.

#7. To leave a message on my computer, a password to access my computer is required.

Password will be communicated to you at a later date to that Authorized Contact mentioned earlier.

#8. To return to the main menu and to listen to options 1 to 9

#9. To make a general complaint or inquiry.

The contact will then be put on hold, pending the attention of my automated answering service.

While this may, on occasion, involve a lengthy wait, uplifting music will play for the duration of the call.

Regrettably, but again following your example, I must also levy an establishment fee to cover the setting up of this new arrangement.

May I wish you a happy, if ever so slightly less prosperous New Year?

Your Humble Client

And remember:

Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 9:16 am

2/17/2013
Abe..
This is funny ! As she said: " Don't Piss Off Old People !"

Cheers........Joe..Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 10:02 am

I actually didn't find this funny. The old bitch knew exactly when her funds would be deposited. She wrote a check to someone else that cut too close to that time. Everything is automated, and she clearly had insufficient funds to cover the check. She must have a history of doing that, too, because banks will cover you the first couple of times you do that.

The rest of her rant just showed her senility. She probably shouldn't be writing checks to anyone anymore and should have a trustee.

Sadly, this attitude permeates our society now. Everyone thinks their own incompetence is the bank's fault.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 am

I'm nt sure where it got her. Did the bank feel obligated to comply?
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 12:59 pm

2/17/2013

Bravo ! The old lady has B...S
Cheers.Joe.....cheers

Last edited by joefrank on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 5:32 pm

My bank has changed names over the last 30 years at least 10 times. It is now Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo is as impersonably personable as it gets. The letter written by this woman is a fair evauation of the customers idea of The bank's most personal attention.

If I need to speak to a person in the bank, no matter what department, I must sign a ledger and take a number. I must sit there in their chairs until my name is called and then, if my problem is something that does not need any special attenion other than opening, closing, changing names and simple stuff, someone will eventually get around to me.

They charge me if I need a statement mailed to me, if I need any thing at all.

I doubt that her letter was read by anyone but the high mucky muck bank people who had a good laugh about it and did not care one whit about her as a customer.

Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 10:38 pm

Agree, Betty. The thing I hate the most is trying to reach a human on the phone. Having to press buttons to get standardized answers is usually a waste of time. It is just another means of replacing people with machines. Personal service is becoming rare.
Future problems. What will people do for a living when machines take away their jobs? Will human contact become a luxury?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:16 am

We won't be here. As for banks - I have had several horror stories with bank errors and unspeakable treatment based on their automated systems. I took it to the bank president by searching for contact info on Google who passed me to the vice president (a woman) who fixed the whole mess. However, the anguish before it was fixed was an unnecessary result of the mechanical way business is conducted today.

I watched a good old fashioned family movie last night, the Ditchdiggers Daughters where the man went to the bank to get a loan but was refused without even looking at his application. He had a savings account that he promptly removed.

I once banked at a Florida bank on Marco Island where the general manager knew you by name and saved our family goose many times when we were sailing and deposits were a "second late" etc. That service, by the way, is still available with "personal bankers" for the very wealthy. They don't pay fees and they don't speak with machines. It's only the ordinary person who gets hit with situations like the elderly woman described.

Women as a group, the past generations in particular, spent most of their lifetimes keeping their strong opinions to themselves and behaving like ladies. For a man to display anger and revenge is power and assertiveness; for a woman it's a "bitch." When they reach the age of maturity, they realize that what they say and do will no longer end a marriage, insult the priest, make the PTA turn red or ruin their career. Sometimes a "straw" will release a dam.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 7:22 am

Don't mess with Seniors 950944DK
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 8:48 am

Eh, there are plenty of bitchy men, too.

This woman was outraged when her bank did what it had probably always done -returned checks when there were insufficient funds. So maybe she was just stupid.

Yes, everything is automated. Cuts down the costs. People throw loud fits when charged for anything, and at the same time want all kinds of personal service. I don't know what fees the very wealthy pay for personal banking, but if the bank weren't getting something from them that they're not getting from the rest of us, the wealthy wouldn't get that service.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 10:24 am

More money.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am

Like Betty, I have banked with the same institution for over 30 years. Today it, too, is part of Wells Fargo. So far, WF and I have not had a problem. I have to say that on the occasions I've needed to deal with a live person, they've always been polite, helpful, and respectful.

I had a different experience some years back, when the controlling bank was called First Interstate. They "lost" my paycheck deposit. Since I had a running balance, it took awhile for it to show up. Suddenly, I was getting notices of overdraft fees and returned checks. At about the same time, I got my regular statement, which did not indicate a deposit at the beginning of the month. Luckily, I had my receipt, so I gathered all the notices and the statement and my receipt, and headed for the bank, and insisted I talk to a person asap. The woman who was assigned to me was very brusque. She told me that they would cancel the fees that they had charged, but would not be able to crdit my deposit until they traced down the check.

Now, I'm generally a lady-like person, but if you should want to know the definition of the word, bitch, and you are not interested in acquiring a female dog, the best example that I know of occurred that day in that particular bank, when I told the brusque lady just precisely how this cow was going to eat its cabbage. The first thing was that she excused herself, hailed down a male manager, and, thinking she was out of earshot(she had clearly never been a teacher of adolescents) said to him, "We've got another one..." At that point, the manager took her arm and guided her into an office space, where she stayed for several minutes. The woman who came out was clearly dressed in the same clothes, had the same hair color, etc., but her demeanor was very different - even deferent. They not only accepted my receipt as proof of deposit, they wrote letters of apology to every person or business that they had bounced a check to. AND they paid the fees to those creditors who still refused to eliminate the returned check fees. (Maybe because I told them that the bank had assured me that they would?)

It turned out to be kind of fun, having a legitimate excuse to allow my inner shadow bitch to surface.

And I wasn't anywhere near 65, or anywhere close to being wealthy, at the time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 am

Your experience was similar to mine, Ann - but multiply yours tenfold and you'll understand my situation with the bank. It was such a complicated set of their multiplied errors that they are impossible to repeat. But I was in another state with none of their banks.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 10:24 pm

There comes a time when one must take a stand.
Customer service is a big factor in keeping many firms in business.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 am

My experience is that customer service depends on the managers. I just had a run in with a dentist that I filed BBB complaint. I plan to file with HHS also. The dentist refused to be rational or sensible. It's a long story, too. A local dentist. I am a writer for a popular local newspaper. I am well known. His office still made my life miserable with their error that they tried to extract payment for from me. This is a word of mouth town. They'll not get a friendly word from me or in the paper.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:03 am

I'm sure we've all had issues w/ banks, I've had them myself. The only issue in the OP I can see is a woman enraged that her bank didn't honor an check presented on an insufficient funds account. Doesn't matter that it was (according to her) presented on the same day. It is Standard Operating Procedure that when you don't have enough to cover the check, the check BOUNCES. Period, end of story. If the overdraft isn't too much and you don't have a history of it, the bank will cover it once or twice.

My guess is this woman (assuming the story is even real) has done this multiple times, is a demanding, low-margin customer, and the bank would be thrilled if she took her "business" elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 am

LC. I think it was a same day transaction. The bank was quick to record the transaction of the check, but not the deposit. I can see this happening with electronic debits and deposits and that's when personal services are required. Checking into the matter would normally be in favor of the customer. Some banks appear to forget that they are kept in business by having customers.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 am

Quote :
I think it was a same day transaction. The bank was quick to record the transaction of the check, but not the deposit.
Because the deposit came in AFTER the check did. It's automated, there isn't anyone looking after it. The bank incurs its own fees when this happens. If they didn't want to refund her fees after the fact, so be it. Maybe next time she'll use a credit card or pay the plumber cash (oh wait, she didn't HAVE the cash, that was her problem...)
Back to top Go down
teniffog

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 pm

I agree with DK, front line service is always dependent on the manager. If you have a customer service oriented manager, usually the staff follows his or her lead. The phone system is a another issue. Usually after pushing four or five buttons, I get transferred to someone in India who only knows the standard answers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't mess with Seniors   Don't mess with Seniors Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't mess with Seniors
Page 1 of 1