Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" Empty
PostSubject: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 5:44 am

7/30/2011

Here's letters seniors sent to CNN about their Social Security
read on ...
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/30/news/economy/debt_ceiling_social_security/index.htm

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 8:05 am

Very interesting. Keeping up the pressure is good.

We’re encouraged to think positive since the Law of Attraction works. Negativity is also powerful. I wonder what would happen if the Voting Booth had a delete button. Instead of pressing the button of the person of our choice, we could press a delete button for those we don’t want. Those not deleted got the vote. Statistics of those deleted would send a more powerful message.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 8:33 am

The situation is ridiculous, My 90 year old mother in law doesn't even get it.

She said she would be glad to pay $100.00 extra per monh to get us out of the mess.

We asked why the billionaires and fat cats couldn' pay a bit extra. She has bought the theory that the rich shouldn't have to pay anything. She even talks of being thrown out on the street.

The demographics of America have changed. We are an aging country. People used to die soon after retirement--now they live for decades. She feels guily for not working. She is 90 and has had two broken hips. She worked until almost 90.

How on earth will they employ people to 70 when they can't even find jobs for the people to age 65?

Taxes must go up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 8:38 am

There are still ignorant people - who think stirring up this debt crisis from nothing - that has had a worldwide negative impact on the United States and sent negative currents "throughout the land" - that provides negative consequences regardless of the outcome - people who believe that holding the debt ceiling hostage was the right thing, that harming the U.S. to accomplish debt reduction was the right thing. Ignorance is like a virus. Throw a bunch of people together and they catch it.

Blame? The blame is an original one - the debt ceiling was a simple gesture to pay existing bills. This created crisis resulted from the Tea Party and the republicans refusing to pass the three-line bill to raise the debt ceiling. That three line bill was to meet past obligations. The Congress still controlled the future. It would have gone unnoticed by the markets, the world, the rating agencies and the people of this country who fear their checks won't be delivered.

That's it. Simply.

The time for fixing the past mistakes is immediately following the bill. Those who felt strongly about debt reduction needed to go about it systematically. They still had the power. However, they didn't need to throw the world and the citizens of the U.S. into a tizzy to accomplish their ends. They created a crisis that negatively impacts the financial health of us all. I hold them in contempt. I will do all I can politically to make sure my contempt is recorded many times over between now and the elections.

I'm not ashamed of my government. I am ashamed of the people I know who still think protecting their excessive personal financial assets more important than the good of their country.

When I had employment, I was plenty happy to pay more income taxes to meet the needs of our country to pursue greatness - and my income was paltry. Why was I willing to part with much when I had so little and those with so much are not wiling to part with so little?

I guess it's because I grew up in an environment of people who worked hard, lived honestly and revered family values. Family values extended to the community and the nation. We believed in a "fair shake" for those who were trying to get ahead. I carried that with me, even as a republican. I believed it should be done with fiscal responsibility but not at the expense of the least

The creation of the crisis provides other opportunities to look for blame now that it has been blown out of proportion. The republicans are experts at shifting blame. There are a few republicans in the senate with ethics. They sure aren't part of the Tea Party.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 8:55 am

7/30/2011

I wonder what would happen if " NO ONE " showed up
on election day ? Would they still loose their jobs ? Or
if you voted " NONE OF THE ABOVE ?" Would they still
loose their jobs ? We need people who aren't career
politicians !

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:07 am

I have no more to say. The whole situation is appaling to me.

Any questions asked of the Republicans turn into diatribes against Obama,

So, so sick of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:57 am

I know it's frustrating, especially today. However, one of the freedoms that were returned to us with the election of President Obama was the freedom to debate without being accused of being a non-patriot. One of the best evidences of our love of this United States is our willingness to step out with our views and listen to opposing ideas also. We have the power in this country to go to the ballot box without fear also. We have the freedom to participate in the political process.

Unfortunately, the power is in the hands of those with wealth - corporate and industrial wealth of international proportions. However, as Joe often says, the baby boom generation is in the majority and we have a voice. AARP represents most of us though they, too, are influenced by wealth. We can make a difference by our sheer numbers.

We must not let those with extreme wealth who have no fears of their own future poverty control our future. Our safety net is Social Security and Medicare. Those who call for independent choices and planning ahead instead of social security and medicare didn't face the challenges of many who did everything right and were still left with nothing - but social security and medicare. Tort reform, pharmaceutical cost reduction (eliminate tv ads), preventive care and reduction in bureaucratic nonsense (which will lower malpractice insurance and the cost of physicians doing business), and raising the income level to lifetime earnings from which social security deductions are made will take care of the program for as long as its needed.

Through tax code revisions, appropriate tax increases, support for the development of small businesses, appropriate funding for education and support to build the infrastructure that leads to a prosperous future, the U.S. is still one of the wealthiest countries in the world. We have the resources, the intellect and the will to progress if we have the right civic minded people running things. Tax increases are necessary. Not increasing taxes is a death knell to our prosperity.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:22 am

Diane,
I applaud both your posts. Sure wish your name was on the ballot.

I read something today in the book, "Fall of Giants" that said,
"If you owe a hundred dollars, the bank has you in its power. If you owe a million dollars,you have the bank in your power."
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 12:12 pm

You are so correct Abe with your quote. The wealth of the Donald Trumps was built on financial failures - and banks willing to fund them anyway. Show me a billionaire and I'll show you financial failures over and over again and loaned money based on their name alone.

It is the austerity in which we live at present that feeds the downward spiral. I had to laugh. They bemoan the GNP not growing as an example of our woes. How is the GNP supposed to grow when half the county has no job? And the small percentage with all the money spends it overseas, not here. It is in building hopes and dreams that fortunes are made. That is why the wealthy prosper and the poor suffer. The wealthy have the capacity to borrow and take risks. The poor live on their pennies, not one to spare. It is a misnomer to say families balance their budgets. Families owe money; they have debts that they are obligated to pay. Sometimes it is the debt itself that drives a person to two and three jobs - the need for greater productivity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"   Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !" Empty

Back to top Go down

Letters from seniors to the govt. " We need our S.S. !"
Page 1 of 1