Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How do you know what is the right thing to do?

Go down 
+4
Victor D. Lopez
Abe F. March
GoodGuyNutt
Betty Fasig
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

How do you know what is the right thing to do? Empty
PostSubject: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Friday afternoon I went to the Walmart for supplies. I always go in and out the garden department if I have few items. This day I felt I should go through the up=store checkers because I had more than the garden department could deal with without the people behind me wishing me dead, so I was on my way out alredy paid.

I was standing waiting for people to move out of my way when a tall man with strange hair and skinny arms came in with a young girl about fourteen. He was over fifty if I am any judge. What struck me as not right was that he had a fierce grip on her hand. She was trying to move forward and he was smiling. People were getting out of their way.

It passed my mind that I should say something to the girl. I regret that I did not. I worried about her all night.

It may be nothing.

My David said that Walmart will not care to research their video on my mere 'feeling'.

What can one do when they see what seems to be 'not right'?

Love,
Betty

Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
GoodGuyNutt

GoodGuyNutt

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 4:36 pm

The truth is that even as a social worker I at times am not sure what to do in those situations. Most often there is little you can do actually. What if you had said something? What if it was her dad, but she said he wasn't because she was in trouble and wanted to be a pain? That could create huge problems for a man who may have done nothing at all. On the other hand what I will say is that there is also the concern over safety. When I go on home visits I know there is the chance that something will happen, but that is my job and I am in control of the situation, but in Walmart if the man had abducted her or whatever the situation was talking to the girl could've gotten both of you very hurt. If the situation, or a similar one presents itself again what I would suggest is that you speak to someone in the store and ask for security to to investigate it. That way no hurt befalls you and also you can avoid an incident that would be hurtful to the man if he is innocent. I know this all doesn't help with the current feelings, but no Walmart won't review those tapes and the cops won't even look into it unless there is a current Amber alert or missing child reported in the area which fits her description, but you could always call them and see if there is a missing child from the area or a surrounding one and provide them with details of what the two look like.
Back to top Go down
http://justinnutt.com/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Dear Justin,
Thank you for the kind and good advice.
I may be nuts. I felt an immediate aversion to the man and felt that the girl was "out of jail" for the fist time in a while and excited to see the many items in Walmart.

The chances of this same situation occuring before my eyes again is one in a trillion. I hope she is ok. I wish I had been more brave.

Welcome to this forum.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Welcome Justin. Thanks for your good advice.
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 5:44 am

Thanks for the advice, Justin. And welcome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:24 pm

I would still check with the police about any missing teenagers. I agree about speaking with someone in the store and not taking personal action. They have security cameras everywhere!

Times are so difficult in regards to our civic responsibility. There was a time when truckers and drivers stopped to help people on the road. Now, everyone assumes they have AAA or a cell phone at least. I am afraid to stop. I have passed people that I just felt drawn to help but overcame the feeling and moved on.

I have spoken to mothers yelling obscenities to their children in a store - and boy do they let me have it!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Welcome to the forum! If that's your real name - has it ever caused you issues? When I taught school, my last name was "Raisig" and they called me "Raisin" under their breath.
Back to top Go down
GoodGuyNutt

GoodGuyNutt

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 6:56 am

If you are asking that question of me D.K. then yes. My last name really is Nutt. Rather ironic as a therapist to have the last name Nutt. I have thought about getting my PhD so when people are asked who their therapist is they can say Dr. Nutt. As for issues with the name yes I hated it in school due to the fact it was easy to make fun of it, but I have embraced it at this point in my life and even make jokes about it.
Back to top Go down
http://justinnutt.com/
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:40 am

You may be powerless physically to do anything Betty but you can help!
Your heart is powerful you can reach out in prayer for that little girl and make a huge difference. We humans are more powerful than we know!
This may sound silly to many folk who perhaps shy from any form of spiritual practices but despite whether or not people worship a deity, deep down inside they have a power, an intuitive spark. It is an undisclosed sense that connects them to the source of life in the universe. When this spark is latched upon and allowed to shine, you can focus your heart and reach out (in a form of prayer) to that situation.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 4:33 am

dmondeo wrote:
You may be powerless physically to do anything Betty but you can help!
Your heart is powerful you can reach out in prayer for that little girl and make a huge difference. We humans are more powerful than we know!
This may sound silly to many folk who perhaps shy from any form of spiritual practices but despite whether or not people worship a deity, deep down inside they have a power, an intuitive spark. It is an undisclosed sense that connects them to the source of life in the universe. When this spark is latched upon and allowed to shine, you can focus your heart and reach out (in a form of prayer) to that situation.

Amen How do you know what is the right thing to do? 950944

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 9:57 am

How do you know what is the right thing to do? 950944I second that. Sometimes we get lost in words. I believe their is a spiritual presence, a life force, that connects all living things in this world. We have the power to tap into that and send its energy forth. I believe that many people tapping into that force for good can make a difference - and even one.

Sometimes answers to prayer are not recognized because they are not the answer we sought; but the answer is what the universe required for its own harmony not always fully understood.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:36 am

I third that and agree with your post, DK
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:45 am

dkchristi wrote:
Sometimes answers to prayer are not recognized because they are not the answer we sought; but the answer is what the universe required for its own harmony not always fully understood.

Nice thought DK,

I remember as a little kid being told, "God always answers your prayers, but sometimes the answer is 'NO'."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you know what is the right thing to do?   How do you know what is the right thing to do? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you know what is the right thing to do?
Page 1 of 1