Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Powerful Women

Go down 
+5
joefrank
Shelagh
Domenic Pappalardo
alj
dkchristi
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Powerful Women - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 10:58 am

As Abe said, this seems to be a sensitive subject - and very subjective based on our personal experiences and expectations. As Ann indicated, the generations in which you are born make a difference in perspective and behavior.

Reality: Men have always dominated the world power structure, wealth and power. Strong, masculine men were favored.

Reality: Women first gained prominence through their spouses, mentored by men who recognized the value of a woman's talents and abilities, or through inherited power and wealth (royals for instance).

Reality: All people, men and women, play roles to attain positions of power and wealth. Example: people hiding sexual orientation, religious affiliation and other characteristics that might detract from their power.

Reality: People in positions of power and wealth have strong personalities or they inherited their position. Once in a position of power and wealth, entitlement and related behaviors soon follow.

Reality: Women are often (not always) treated as bitches or power hungry when they exhibit leadership styles that are necessary to rise in power and wealth. These same leadership styles are admired in men.

Reality: Men and women have valuable emotional and intellectual contributions to make the world a better place. The more these talents are balanced as opposed to the status quo, the more likely the world will find a better balance.

Reality: One force that has contributed to keeping women in roles that may be limiting for some is the ancient texts from which religions are practiced that were written in the times described by Ann when men's roles as protector and women's roles as nurturers were distinct for survival. Those times are past in most developed countries. However, dominance by males remains subliminal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 11:05 am

alj wrote:
Things started to change in my generation, when affordable, effective means of birth control allowed couples the have intimate relationships without fear of unwanted pregnancies, and the sexual revolution began.
A telling observation. We had condoms for decades before the pill. Affordable and more effective than unprotected sex. But their use requires action by the male during the passion, a time when men have the least control of judgement. It took a measure in which the woman is the proactive partner. She had to take the pill.

This cause and effect does not address strength or weakness, however. It does not say anything about superior and inferior gender behavior. It reflects one part of a system that is in place (designed, created, evolved, whatever) to promote the survival of the species.

Vive la difference.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 11:12 am

alj wrote:
Even now, in many businesses, the preferred "costume" for women in business is a business suit (which can mean a simple straight skirt, not necessarily pants), buttoned white shirt, and tie or scarf.
And you see a difference? A man's business clothes are every bit as governed by rules and convention. Try showing up at a traditional corporate board meeting wearing a muscle shirt, shorts and flip-flops, fellas.

alj wrote:
A big part of the reason has to do with sexual attraction, or avoidance of it.
A common misconception usually expressed by women. A sexy woman is sexy no matter what she wears. Marilyn Monroe proved that by posing in a burlap sack.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 am

alj wrote:
...but I cannot help but wonder if a thread about Powerful Men would have created such a furor.
And I wonder how many men would characterize civilized, reasoned debate as a furor.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 11:57 am

This has been a fun thread. A lot of viewpoints have been expressed, taking the thread beyond my original thought.

The experts say that women entering the male dominated work place during WWII in the U.S. made a major difference in the status of women initially. In order to overcome the change in psyche, a big ad and poster campaign encouraged women to return to their homes at the conclusion of the war, again as a patriotic gesture, so the returning men would have jobs and so the women could have their children and run the homes.

Though women obliged and the 50's reflected that fact, many women still held to their equality in terms of jobs previously held by men.

Many divorce stats are tied to women becoming fixtures in the workplace where sexual attraction, both ways, was a distraction. I remember blatant sexual harassment at Douglas Aircraft Company when I worked their in 1964 and again in 1974. It is the power issue again. Men exert their power by demeaning women; and sexual harassment is demeaning.

I have had many legally harassing experiences; but never spoke of it because to do so was a career death knell. I share that experience with many women. It is demeaning and the feeling of powerlessness is never forgotten.

Once a woman achieves sufficient power, harassment is no longer an issue. Women in the enlightened military that fought in Iraq and Afghanistan have horror stories to tell. I remember my friend's daughter used to joke that they left her alone because she carried a big weapon. Then she became silent. When she mustered out, her eyes were hollow and her spirit broken. The big weapon was not enough.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 12:32 pm

10/24/2011

Many women stars were powerful in their day, Bette Davis,
Joan Crawford, Marlyn Monroe, Norma Shearer, Garbo,
Elizabeth Taylor...

Cheers.Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 12:41 pm

joefrank wrote:
10/24/2011

Can you name 100 of the most powerful women
in history ?.... Powerful Women - Page 2 83899

It depends, of course, on one's definition of power. For me, influence is more powerful than wealth or control.

• Grace Hopper
  • Madeline Murray O'Hare
  • Dorothy Parker
  • Maya Angelou
  • Jane Austen
  • Joan of Arc
  • Mary Magdalene
  • Oprah Winfrey
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Who would know? I don't think Dick was gender biased.

I spoke of the power hungry doctor. I forgot about the women--many of them were jealous.

No one is perfect
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 5:06 am

copy of Domenic's post removed by ALice

Last edited by alice on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 5:15 am

joefrank wrote:
10/24/2011

Can you name 100 of the most powerful women
in history ?.... Powerful Women - Page 2 83899

1. Queen Elizabeth
2. Eva Peron
3. Gold Meir
4. Queen Isabella
5. Imelda Marcos

We'll 95 more to go , can you name them ?

Margaret Thatcher will do for the rest.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powerful Women   Powerful Women - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Powerful Women
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2