Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Words are powerful

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10338
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Words are powerful   Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 am

As children, we were told that “sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.” (written 1830, published in London, J. Ollivier, 1844) That may have been true for children to offset taunts (name calling), however as adults, words are important and one can expect a reaction.  We are seeing this play out with Trump’s war of words with N. Korea.  It is not a child’s game.  N. Korea has declared that Trump’s comments are a “declaration of war”.  His comments at the UN and subsequent comments he made on Twitter prompted this reaction.   Two egomanics taunting each other is no game.  It appears that each one is waiting for the other to take some provocative action as an excuse to retallate.  It will not just be two nations at war, but will involve others that can lead to another world war.  World leaders are asking both to tone down the rhetoric and use diplomacy to resolve issues.   A war of words with football players, although damaging, is not as serious as a war of words between world leaders.  War can be prevented if a peaceful resolution is sought, however when war is desired, we are all at risk.  Nuclear weapons will most likely be used in this conflict that is a danger to us all.   Now is the time to speak up and do whatever we can to stop these madmen.  Hindsight won’t save us.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12375
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Words are powerful   Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:56 am

Yes, but no. Silence might be a better option, but the actual words don't matter. Kim jong-un uses words as an excuse to organise gatherings on a grand scale to bolster his self-importance. Dogs respond to commands and tone of voice. Pat a dog on the head and say "good boy" or "bad boy" in the same tone, and the dog will wag its tail. Same with the NK leader. Speak against him in an authoritarian way, the words don't matter, just the fact that you are speaking against him will provoke a reaction. He is a greater danger to his own country than to the rest of the world, despite his nuclear weaponry. If he dared to attack his neighbours or America, his country would be destroyed. Whether Trump's approach works or not remains to be seen. The sanctions are hurting NK. I'm not a psychologist, so I don't know if backing down from verbal arguments is a better way to save face than admitting that sanctions are having the desired effect. We'll soon know.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Words are powerful   Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:54 am

I agree that countries will be destroyed.  Playing a game of chicken is too dangerous when nukes are involved.  I still think that negotiation is the better (safer) option and that more time is needed to see if sanctions are effective.  Waiting to see what happens is not the best option.  We can't undo any attack.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15403
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Words are powerful   Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:38 am

We can at least give the  sanctions a chance
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Words are powerful   Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:39 am

Agree, Alice.  The same applies to the Iran deal.  They have complied with the provisions of the deal.  Trying to undo the work that took years to negotiate implies that there are those who don't want the deal to survive and prefer military action against Iran. Military action is being pushed by the rogue Israeli regime that has a large nuclear arsenal and refuses inspection of their sites.  International experts have voiced their opinion that Iran feels the need to guard against aggresssive actions by Israel or the US by builiding their own defenses with nuclear capability.  That capability has been placed on hold due to the Iran deal.  If the Iran deal is killed by Trump, I forsee a renewed effort by Iran to develop a nuclear capability.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15403
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Words are powerful   Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Trump is far too careless with his words.  I wish he would button his mouth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Words are powerful   

Back to top Go down

Words are powerful
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: