Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Modern World is Going to the Dogs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

The Modern World is Going to the Dogs Empty
PostSubject: The Modern World is Going to the Dogs   The Modern World is Going to the Dogs EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 6:03 am

I remember when a dog was a pet with a house in the backyard. He did his business in the yard and it was burried. Then he was taken out to the country for a good run or pehaps walked the neighborhood. However, no good neighbor would have the lack of consideration to allow his pet to leave a calling card in a neighbor's yard.

We fed our pet dry dog food as recommended by the vet with lots of available water. He was trained to sit, roll over and not jump on people. He even heeled a bit on a walk. When we took a vacation, the neighbor made sure he was fed, but he had the familiar comfort of his doggie house.

In those days, barking dogs were trained not to bark or disappeared from the neighborhood to a farm somewhere. We had a beautiful standard poodle who kept going over the six foot (yes, six foot!) fence and we gave her to an Australian family with a ranch. She needed to run; a yard was no place for her.

Fluffy, a medium poodle was allowed in the house as far as the tiled family room. She would lay with her nose on the forbidden carpet. During an earthquake, she was terrified such that she disobeyed and found her way to our bed, where I was equally afraid and forgave the little dog for her transgression.

Today, the simple life of dogs is no longer. Dogs are not animals who reside in the backyard with a doggie house. They are considered family members. I hear their owners referring to themselves as "mommy." Believe me, I am not a "mommy" to an animal.

Entire stores are devoted to animal food, houses, toys and general "stuff" from clothing lines to specialty foods marketed with such style that they might appeal to the owners.

As I am writing this, the television is on. Here on CBS comes a special on Sunday Morning - about this exact same topic!!! Thus I'll stop for now. Talk about life's strange moments. To be typing on this topic and have it show up in front of me on tv - too weird.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: The Modern World is Going to the Dogs   The Modern World is Going to the Dogs EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 7:25 am

7/17/2011

DK:

Everything you say is true, the pet industry in this
country is worth billions of dollars. I had a Light Brown Poodle
once, her name Gi Gi , she lived to be 10 years old, heart
trouble, after she passed away I never got another dog, she
was the love of my life....I've had five cats since then, my
latest love Dusty, she's ten now....

Cheers.....Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Modern World is Going to the Dogs   The Modern World is Going to the Dogs EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 8:07 am

I'm a cat lover. When I lived on the farm, dogs were good to have. They had a place to stay and a place to roam.
Why do I dislike dogs? Perhaps I would like them more if the dog owners had more control of their pets.

I don't like the smell of dogs. The worst part is that a dog wants to smell me - they usually go for the crotch. That is not only embarrassing, but I fear that the dog may decide to bite and that is scary. Then there are the dogs that like to take a ride on the back of your leg and deposit their sperm.

Dogs like to bark. The noise drives me nuts. I often think of the Utbe of George Carlin where he prayed to Joe Peshe to solve the barking dog problem. He solved it quickly.

A trained dog is good. They sit or lie down when commanded, and best of all, they shut up when commanded. I think a dog owner needs training.
I avoid visiting people who have dogs in the house. I don't want to be sniffed or slobbered on, nor do I want to sit on dog hair and take that smell home with me. Worse still is that the dog fleas are looking for a new home - me. What a Face
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Modern World is Going to the Dogs   The Modern World is Going to the Dogs EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 9:55 am

I've had my share of dog pets, all poodles of all sizes. Every one was well-trained and was a dog. They did not reside in the house. Guests were not subjected to my pets. They were as clean as an animal can be clean - which has its limits. Thank goodness when I had dogs brushing their teeth was not part of the routine!!!

My friend from childhood lost her mother recently. I did not to the funeral. My friend has four dogs and a cat - hairy dogs. Though she has a housekeeper, I cannot set foot in her house - not even on her porch. I would have been no use to her in her grief. I can't even hug her without sneezing and gasping.

Another friend from childhood has three big dogs. Same scenario.

I can't walk on my street at night because of the smell of dog feces. The neighbors know better than to have their dogs poop in my yard because I have pounded on the window and accosted them in person to ask their cooperation in staying out of my yard with their pets. They actually cross the street at my yard (and new neighbors do the same; so they must get the message).

There's a wonderful bike path to the grocery. I can't ride my bike there because of the smell of animal feces.

No dogs are allowed on the beach. Yet, I am regularly accosted by dogs whose owners yell, "oh, he won't hurt you; just don't act afraid" as they jump on me, growl and generally ruin my humor.

If it's not a dog, it's a cat. I am violently allergic to cats. Another local friend of mine said in cruel tones, "the least you could do is take shots so you could be around animals." We no longer "hang out." We started as friends before she got the two pets. No, I cannnot take shots. They only work if you start at a certain age which I am past. I can take allergy meds that give me migraine headaches and in this heat, heatstroke from drying up.

Why should I take allergy medicin? I live a perfectly healthy human life as long as no animals are added to the formula. I believe that people are preferential to animals. I believe human communication and affection is a priority to that of animals. I do accept that animals bring much joy and longer life to those for whom the unchallenging, unconditional loyalty of animals and the responsibility of their dependent care soothes the spirit. Just don't force that choice on me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Modern World is Going to the Dogs   The Modern World is Going to the Dogs Empty

Back to top Go down

The Modern World is Going to the Dogs
Page 1 of 1