Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Tired of politics!

Go down 
+4
Abe F. March
dkchristi
alj
alice
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I almost get ill at the thought of another campaign--does anyone like them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 5:55 pm

I just get angry. As the years go by, I find myself more and more committed to a particular outcome, and get very frustrated when people don't see things as I do. Most of the time I am an open minded person, but when one day in November means the difference in what kind of progress is made over the next four years, I have a hard time maintaining my openness.

It goes back to the Clinton years, when it seemed to me that so much good was happening and things were getting better, and then we blew it all to sh**, not only once but twice, and things got so bad that after 3 years of attempting to fix things, we haven't made that much progress, and now we seem to be considering going backwards again.

But then, I wonder how much control we have, and wonder if the media isn't pulling all our strings and making us jump through their metaphorical hoops. Do we really have a say in the process anymore?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Ann,

That is the way I feel too.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Money. It's all about money. Have you heard how much money they plan to spend for campaigns? Think of all the programs for the poor, the elderly, the children and those with special needs that money would pay for. There should be a cap on campaign spending; all television advertising should be public service messages only - short and "donated equally to all candidates." That applies to all time in the media spotlight.

Campaigns should have time limits: month A, B and C only.

I wouldn't mind a campaign of truth. Instead its a campaign of lies and half truths and wool - wasted money to stir emotional responses, not intellectual contemplation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Ann and DK.

Your comments stuck with me and I got up this morning with an idea.

I thought of Martin Luther who took on the very powerful Catholic Church. He made a proclamation and took much heat for his radical ideas. He succeeded and changed the church and the world.

We are authors/writers. We participate on various forums. We have access to thousands if not millions of viewers. If we can come up with a proclamation or idea, we can promote it.

We can either select a political candidate of our own or support one that will endorse our ideas. I believe a candidate would take our idea seriously if he/she knew that there were many people who would support their candidacy.

The questions have arisen often: What can we do?

I propose the following:

We select two or three writers to draft a proclamation/resolution. I nominate DK and Ann whose views I endorse, are excellent writers and who believe in constructive change. Other candidate can be nominated, i.e., Al Williams. Shelagh would be at the top of my list, however if this idea is for an American political party, it should be an American leading the charge.

We propose ideas to be included in the proclamation.
We decide if we want a third political party to promote.
We decide on a candidate or endorse a new candidate who will endorse our proclamation/idea. Draft a platform.
Money plays a big role in any campaign. We all know of organizations that we could solicit for funds. There are obvious side benefits for all who participate. Name recognition for the author is just one.

The name of a new party is important – something that grabs attention.

A Party of the oppressed/depressed. The number of people who believe they are in that category may be in the majority.

Your thoughts/ideas are important. If we want change, what are the changes we want and are they realistic?

Doing nothing changes nothing.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 am

Abe,

Great idea! Just one small glitch--who is the fundsraiser?
It will take over a billion.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 7:57 am

4/28/2011

New Party:

" WE THE PEOPLE "

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 9:36 am

Abe, thank you for summarizing the need. Thank you for your faith in Ann and I to compose a proclamation. Until there is a way to promote ideas without the horrid costs, a ground up start is just too difficult.

I do believe, however, that we are capable of creating an author's voice for changing the way campaigns are run, representatives are selected and information is provided to people. I think we could include many different points of view that way.

The people who most need representing don't have the time or the funds to support candidates. Candidates provide their voice to those who contribute to their campaigns and support their friends with perks (jobs, etc.). They provide their rhetoric to the people who vote. Those are two different parts of the candidate.

In my more politically active years, I lobbied representatives, door to door, in Washington D.C. for platforms to support those who could not lobby for themselves. It was exhausting. Actually, the persons providing the most help were the staff members. I felt the bum's rush from the actual representatives though they had warm handshakes, a very visible clock for my 2 minutes and a warm smile.

I also supported a local "newbie" Republican candidate who was very active with a social services organization on which I was a founding board member (now with assets exceeding $50 million and its founders long forgotten). We actually made a difference in his election. Once in congress, he supported none of the issues that he appeared to support and went on to be a bane to our high hopes.

I have quite a bit of confidence in my views because I am neither Republican nor Democrat nor anything in between. I am open to facts and willing to support those that I believe will be the most beneficial to the U.S. Unfortunately, laziness has moved me in the direction of the Democratic party so I can take advantage of their research, local information and camaraderie.

I am almost fanatic in my belief that President Obama needs to stay in office for a second term to really measure his impact. Changing gears at this time is as bad as cutting Federal spending on needed social programs when the country is in economic difficulties.

Any grade school student knows that when an economy tanks, it takes government spending to pull it out. It is not a time of austerity and budget cutting just because the previous administration dumped us in the tank. The proposed cuts to needed programs are miniscule compared to the full program overhaul needed when prosperity increases.

Yes, I believe in task analysis, reorganization and cost reduction. I believe that unions can be a partner in the process not the evil union vs. management. I just saw a magnificent example of a teacher union at a state college that made a major, positive difference in their school budget by forcing a nearly $1 million earning president to shorten his term in office, reduce his income and benefits by $179,000 and terminate the employment of his buddy that he hired without a search and the return of an excellent administrator who left when the "buddy" came in at a horrific salary that was raised nearly $100,000 in the first six months. This example shows that change may occur when enough facts are assembled by thinking people and they show a united front. This solution was then presented and approved by the board. The first choice was terminating the president...so a compromise accomplished some of the teacher goals for their school.

This was a case study in a nearly lab environment - Abe's proposal is grand in scope but needs to start smaller.

I still like finding groups who have positive ideas to promote, piggy back on their research, and find a way to give those groups the author's voice.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 am

I agree with DK.

We may not have a huge audience, but we are helping when we post on message boards and our own blogs, etc.

The main thing to do is speak up. You know the old "light one candle..." thing. One voice added to others can eventually make the difference that pushes change into place.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 am

Who is Al Williams?
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 10:15 am

I don't know. Hope he has money though! What a Face What a Face What a Face
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 11:07 am

DK,
your point is understood. What I think would be beneficial, would be to compile a list of our concerns and send them to some candidate (yet to be named) and see if they would endorse it. If so, we could get behind their candidacy with promotion.

Al Williams. He's a dark horse. A long shot on the track who could win big.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Dear Abe,

Williams would be a really fine name for a Horse of a Different Color. I will save it for just such an occasion. Idea

Perhaps DK should be our letter writer. I consider that this epistle should be sent to President Obama with a suggestion that he should not give up on the American people just yet. If our messageboard is indication of nationwide values and hopes, he is our man for the next four years. To me, he is the best choice. Let us put our support behind him.

Love,
Betty
(an old freedom marcher)

Last edited by Betty Fasig on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Betty,

I agree. If we want change we should support Obama in his efforts to effect it.
A third party will not help just now.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 2:26 pm

What Betty and Alice said.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 2:29 pm

I do want to be careful as a former Republican not to turn people away from our forum because we are brave enough to state our views regarding politics that seem to favor the current, President Obama. I hope other forum members with opposing opinions will continue to express them and include factual, rather than emotional reasons. I will try to do the same. It is the joy of living in the United States that free expression is possible in the political process.

I think someone should suggest to their local representative staff that they peruse the forums to see what America is saying and thinking.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Absolutely, and we also need to remember that as Americans we are only a part of this forum. Some of us do live across the pond.

Ann
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 pm

4/28/2011

As I said before and it's being ignored, we need a party
" We The People." After all we are in charge not them.

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 4:59 pm

Joe, I didn't ignore you. My thoughts are that it's just too difficult to start a new party because it's so expensive and I didn't add that the current campaign system is too entrenched. Even the good candidates have to prostitute their beliefs to get elected.

Third party candidates don't get elected and they often split away support for candidates in primaries and in the general elections that would be better than their opposition.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 5:16 pm

4/28/2011

As of today 4/28/2011 I resign from politics, I
don't trust any candidate, their all out for
themselves, never for the people, they all talk
a good game......

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Maybe we need to expand the two-party system. Places like Australia, for instance, have not only left and right parties, but left center and right center.

I'm not sure about the names for the right side, except that I think one is called the Liberal Party Shocked , but the left-center party is the Labor Party while the left is called the Green party. On that side, the names seem to fit the policies.

If that makes sense. scratch

At least, down under (maybe that's why) the left gets it right. sunny

Ann
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 7:41 pm

I was offered a job in China...is that a sign things are getting better?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 pm

I'm in favor of new parties - my problem is the cost of getting there and the campaign system itself that has so little to do with issues and more to do with personalities, emotions and lobbyist funding.

I would say I am a liberal Republican and a conservative Democrat - the middle party that doesn't have a name though it's probably the one Joe called, "We The People."

I believe in fiscal responsibility and limited government. Yet, I believe the government has a mission to help people who are left out of society's mainstream, capitalistic and free market economy. I believe that limited government also means that people have the right to choose their medical decisions, including whether to terminate a pregnancy. I believe that all people, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic origins, disability, etc. need equal treatment under the law. I believe the definition of marriage is a matter of personal and religious choice.

I believe in universal healthcare and systems to provide food, shelter, and work skills to people who are in need. I do not believe in any "free" service but do believe in a sliding scale if it's only $1 for a service. Universal healthcare should include per visit charges sufficient to discourage excessive hypochondria. There should be various levels of clinics for minor illnesses and preventive care.

I believe all advertising for pharmaceuticals on television and radio should be banned. It encourages people to demand medications that a physician might not recommend. I think it also encourages people to think they are sick when they are not. Pharmaceuticals should be purchased from the lowest bidder for the specifications, even if they come from Canada or other countries with recognized standards equal to the U.S.

I believe there should be no ceiling on the taxed income for Social Security. That alone will fix that system. Social Security should truly be "insurance" and only provided to those who meet a means test. Persons with incomes exceeding $1 million a year from whatever source have no need for social security or medicare (and medicare needs to be rolled into the universal healthcare system).

I believe all subsidies to corporations and industry need to be discontinued and reapplication for those subsidies be made and evaluated in light of current economic needs and conditions.

I believe that all corporations including non-profit need to pay their fair share of taxes. Non-profits are a joke anyway when you look at the salaries they pay their executive staff and the travel, auto and other perks. They need to figure in taxes the same as any other overhead expense for running the non-profit entity. That taxing includes churches, church schools, charitable organizations, etc.

There should be no tax breaks for the wealthiest.

I believe most prisons need to be closed and non-violent offenders be put into community service, probation and work to make financial restitution for their crimes. Those with medical conditions, mental or otherwise, should be treated. This will eliminate a huge cost to care for prisoners who should be caring for themselves and contributing back to society. There is no "rehabilitation" for people in cages and subject to prisoner abuse.

I believe every person according to their desires and abilities is entitled to quality education through the skills to attain meaningful employment. In a down economy, the government needs to use public infrastructure needs to create work for unemployed. Unemployment insurance is another joke. It needs to be revamped. However, it is necessary. It needs to be reevaluated in combination with other stop gap social service systems.

Alas, the hour is late and I may see things a little differently in the light of day.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm

4/29/2011

I agree 1000% , except murders, pedophiles and
rapists should be behind bars....

Cheers...Joe.... king Newely elected
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 10:12 pm

DK,
the things you mentioned are good things that would make up a platform for a good party. In Germany they have multi-parties
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_Germany

As for issues like healthcare. I say, why re-invent the wheel. There are programs that work well. Why not examine those that work, tweek if necessary, and make it American?

The danger of mentioned names in any scenario without giving reasons for their selection and excluding others, can cause a feeling that those overlooked are deemed unworthy. That was not the case in my previous post where I mentioned names. For instance, I didn't mention Alice or Joe, but they would have been included in another capacity. Both have strong feelings and special talents. Fitting a person to a specific function or in a specific capacity has much to do with their strengths, or perceived strengths. Public speaking is an important talent for any candidate.

I was once a strong Republican. I try to take a middle road and vote for the best candidate - not the party. We need more options. More parties. In the end, if there is no outright majority vote, they form a coalition to have a majority. Forming a coalition can be very good. It's a blending of ideas that gives it strength.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tired of politics! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired of politics!   Tired of politics! Empty

Back to top Go down

Tired of politics!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next