Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Egypt -what a mess!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Egypt -what a mess! Empty
PostSubject: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 5:16 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110204/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt

It's hard to believe that this wasn't engineered somehow.

Sucks to be a tourist on vacation!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 pm

My feelings are mixed about what is happening there. It was sparked by events in Tunesia. It is obvious that change is required, but to succumb to threats and mob violence can set a trend. If governments can easily be toppled by dissent turned violent, what will happen to the next President? If the next President makes reforms that the people don't like, will he be assassanited or driven from office? With world-wide economic troubles, tightening the belt, suspending certain services may be required for government stability. The average man may perceive this as unfair, especially when they already suffer from lack of jobs and food. At the same time, how can a President govern when he doesn't have the support of the people?
There is no easy solution. We know that evolution occurs from chaos. What will evolve in Egypt is important and must not be taken lightly. Outside intereference or even indicating preference of leadership can condemn the next leader. The democratic process will not follow a western formula. How does one deal with the will of the people and still institute policies necessary for economic survival? The mentality of the people must be considered. The solution may be contrary to western thinking.
I don't have an easy answer for a solution, however one thing I would suggest is to keep hands off. They must solve their own problems in their own way. We should not jump to conclusions based on media reports. Fanning the flames can make a good news story, but be a detriment to a viable solution.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 pm

2/5/2011

I'm afraid other Arab govt.'s will fall, then we're
screwed, their goes the oil ! 32 years ago I was
on line to buy gasoline, the politicians then said
we have to do something ! Hello 32 years later
we're still talking about it and saying we have to
do something ! Dam It, start drilling for oil !!

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Joe,
I don't think drilling for oil is the answer.
I think finding energy alternatives is the answer.
We've screwed with our environment long enough and we're already seeing the effect with weather-related problems, ie., our food supply.
We'll find out what is more important, a gallon of gas or something to eat.

The bright side is that with the problems, we will be forced to do the right thing, and that begins with conservation and protecting our life-giving environment.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 6:19 am

In many ways, we are captive to oil. The logical thing to me is finding other energy sources.

The southern U.S. was dependent on tobacco. The result is a nation of nicotine addicts - nation? World!

Michigan was dependent on auto production.

California had its bust and boom Silicon Valley.

When one product holds such power, it carries with it a power to destroy.

Our dependence on electronic technology is going to bring some issues.

There should always be a "Plan B."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 7:39 am

I just heard on German news that Mubarak may be taking a trip to Germany for his annual physical checkup.
It may be a good reason to leave, and then not return. At least he can say he wasn't driven out.

Remember the Shah of Iran? He went to the US for hospitalization, and never returned to his country. As it turns out, he was very ill with cancer. It did end his reign in Iran. And we see what replaced it.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 10:25 pm

2/6/2011

I guess a good alternative to cars is a moped, then again
you couldn't drive it on a highway...Motorcycles I don't
like, my uncle's wife's brother was killed on one, hit a rock
in the road, that was over 30 years ago. A Bicycle ? How do
you shop for groceries ? Life is getting tougher............

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 6:34 am

I never forgot my experience in the Netherlands where the bicycle roads were nearly as wide as the highways and were the typical mode of transportation. China was
another place where bicycles seemed to be everywhere.

As for groceries, the stores were in neighborhoods close by.

Our search for sexy comfort (automobiles) has led us down a troublesome path.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 6:54 am

DK,
I also lived in the Netherlands for a short while. Most people went to work with a bicycle. The Netherlands is very level and all those extra gears on speed bikes were not necessary.
I use a bicycle where I live and the car only when necessary. Gas is very expensive and that helps with conservation. I think more people would use a bicycle if there were convenient bicycle paths as one finds in Europe.
Riding on a highway in heavy traffic is unhealthy and dangerous.

My 86 year old neighbor rides her bicycle every day. She has a basket on the handle bars and uses that to fetch her morning bread.

On a day like today, when the sun is shining, people are either taking a sunday walk or a bicycle ride. There are trails through the vineyards to ride. In areas where no bicycle trails exist, a cyclist on the highway has the same rights as an automobile.

I believe action starts at the local community level. Petition for trails for walking, running or cycling benefits everyone. Also the environment.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Abe,

One's health also benefits greatly from exercise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:11 am

Florida is about as flat as it gets (at least the southern part). Bicycle paths are everywhere. The weather is perfect. There's an occasional group of riders in their special gear; but the paths are only used a little for recreational riding.

I'm as guilty as the next. It's either too hot or too windy to ride. Three years ago when I was on a major health kick, I rode my bike everywhere, particularly for a few groceries or to the post office but also to church on Sunday. Little by little, I let it slip.

Gas price is now $3.24 per gallon; very little compared to the rest of the world. However, I do plan my driving to accomplish more than one thing where I travel if possible.

I think bikes are a good choice for many; however, the best choice is public transportation since it's available in all weather. Alternative fuels and energy sources are needed to meet other needs as well.

While we are talking alternatives and their impact on the world stage, someone needs to get moving on economical water desalination.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Egypt -what a mess!   Egypt -what a mess! Empty

Back to top Go down

Egypt -what a mess!
Page 1 of 1