Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?

Go down 
+5
alice
Al Stevens
alj
dkchristi
joefrank
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:00 pm

See, I don't consider requiring a welfare recipient to take a drug test to be a police-state thing anymore than requiring a potential job candidate or military recruit to do so. Laws exist because most people wouldn't regulate their behavior otherwise.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:35 pm

And since they can't afford bread to eat, they will just
have to get by on cake.

Maybe chocolate. SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 143616

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Ann -food stamps were designed exactly because many recipients would buy drugs, cigarettes, or whatever instead of bread. But I hear they use EBT (debit) cards now because using food stamps hurt self-esteem or something. Do the EBT cards even have any kind of control for what recipients buy? If not, I guess that's a good thing, huh?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 7:44 pm

I cannot be bothered with spying on poor folks to see what they are buying in a grocery store.

I don't want them gambling however. Their cards should automatically deactivate if they try them for gambling.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Are you equating putting restrictions on what they can buy with monies meant for food as spying? Or are you equating drug tests with spying? Not sure what you mean.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 9:22 pm

LC wrote:
Ann -food stamps were designed exactly because many recipients would buy drugs, cigarettes, or whatever instead of bread. But I hear they use EBT (debit) cards now because using food stamps hurt self-esteem or something. Do the EBT cards even have any kind of control for what recipients buy? If not, I guess that's a good thing, huh?
The self-esteem issue was not why they made the switch. It was just a positive side effect. They did it because it is more efficient to manage and control and costs less to administer. They have the same restrictions that the paper stamps had with respect to what you are allowed to buy. But they claim that the opportunites for fraud are fewer.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 10:30 am

LC wrote:
Are you equating putting restrictions on what they can buy with monies meant for food as spying? Or are you equating drug tests with spying? Not sure what you mean.

I mean making snap judgements about people who are on welfare. They are seen in the store and everything they buy is scrutinzed. Their weight is looked at, the number of kids they have--maybe they are babysitting.

They are suspect because they are on welfare. I don't think being poor is a crime--more like an unfortunate situation.

Especially now, unemployment benefits wouldn't do for a family with one kid.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:06 am

Well, I personally don't know who in the grocery store is on welfare and who's not. I do look at people and make immediate judgments about them - not value judgements, but instinctual appraisals of their general appearance, just as I'm sure you and everyone else does. And I do this everywhere, not just the grocery store.

And I should clarify that most people I pass are not interesting enough to me to study to make any kind of judgment, shallow or in-depth.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:24 am

Mandatory birth control is anotherr issue. Some people belong to a religion which forbids it. What do we do about them? We can't deny the poor their freedom of religion.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:07 pm

LOL, this "problem" is solved very easily: don't go on welfare! When you're paying your own way you can use or not use birth control and buy all the drugs, cigarettes and potato chips you want.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 2:04 pm

I will waste no more of your time or mine arguing. You don't get my point! lol!

I just don't want the welfare recipients rights taken away. I should probably let them gamble also--it is legal.

How did we get on this tangent?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?   SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

SHOULD DRUG TEST BE GIVEN FOR UN-EMPLOYMENT ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2