Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?

Go down 
+10
alj
madhatter
dkchristi
LC
A Ahad
Shelagh
dmondeo
joefrank
Abe F. March
alice
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 3:26 pm

We have to keep the right to bear arms. It is important. We cannot give up that right.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 3:29 pm

1/9/2011

Me, too !

It's me , the photo of me as a child on a pony...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 3:51 pm

Betty,

Thank you. You feel safer with a gun.

Joe,

What a cute cowboy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Dear Alice,
I would, personally, not have the strength to cock or shoot. But, I believe that we cannot give up the right to have guns. Most of us may not have them, but , if it were necessary to have one, it is important for us to have the right to do so. I believe in that right to have the power to do what one needs to do to protect their family, their home and their country.

If there were no military, the country was at shit end, then it is us, we the people, to defend our life, our family and our country. We need arms and the right to own them. It is important not to look at the shallow view and include the whole nation with a few crackpots. This country is large.

We elected those who are sucking up this country, it is up to the population of each state to rectify it.

I wish someone would get up and say in a very loud voice, WE THE PEOPLE, are in danger. We The People, deserve better.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 5:11 pm

1/10/2011

Put it this way that guy in Arizona was a crackpot ! How did
he get to buy the gun and from what I've read all over the
news media he got a license ? How would he pass a back
ground check ? I think it has to be made much stricter to
get a gun permit..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Betty,

You feel better with one. Fine--no arguing from me. The way you feel is the way you feel.

You have a right to feel and you answered the question.

By the way, folks this is not a right or wrong thread, it is how you feel.

Joe,

When you are right, you are right.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 7:34 pm

1/10/2011

Alice...

I don't feel a need for a gun, I have a reason for it,
I had a brother Gary who died in 1986 at the age 0f 31 from
a gun it was a homicide, he used to carry a gun because he
and his wife owned a restaurant business, I won't go into the
details because till this day his death still hurts. I do say if we
were invaded or attacked, etc. I wouldn't think twice of trying
to defend me or the ones I love, but something has to be done
about teenagers getting weapons and nut jobs. My uncle in PA.,
always had guns in his house, they were under lock and key at
all times and not one kid in his house ever got hurt, that's
because he was a smart dad and careful...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm

I just read a post on FB where a person is using Switzerland as an example of everyone owing guns. It is not as simple as it appears. What is often
promoted as our right to bear arms was made at a time when our country had no
standing army. In Switzerland, they have no standing army. Here is an explanation of why they have guns at home: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Having a
gun at home, and being trained to use it as part of an army is not the same as
having a gun for the sake of having one. Even a soldier carrying a gun is restricted in their use.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 4:13 am

joefrank wrote:
1/10/2011

Alice...

I don't feel a need for a gun, I have a reason for it,
I had a brother Gary who died in 1986 at the age 0f 31 from
a gun it was a homicide, he used to carry a gun because he
and his wife owned a restaurant business, I won't go into the
details because till this day his death still hurts. I do say if we
were invaded or attacked, etc. I wouldn't think twice of trying
to defend me or the ones I love, but something has to be done
about teenagers getting weapons and nut jobs. My uncle in PA.,
always had guns in his house, they were under lock and key at
all times and not one kid in his house ever got hurt, that's
because he was a smart dad and careful...

Cheers..Joe

Joe

I am so sorry.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 5:19 am

Abe,

You are so right. Switzerland is not the US.

Switzerland is well-ordered, clean, cohesive, etc.

They don't have a bunch of nuts running around shooting people to make a name for themselves.

Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 8:15 am

alice wrote:

I have never known Ahad to force his view of God on anyone, anywhere.

Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 704672

This is a light forum and I always say things very lightly and very kiddingly here.

From what I know, 99% of people who own guns do so for peace of mind and never have the misfortune to use them on a fellow human being within their lifetime. Of the 1% that do, they are most likely to end up being convicted for murder or manslaughter or grivous bodily harm.

It doesn't exactly strike me as a win-win situation.

Having said that, if guns can be properly looked after, then why not?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 am

LC wrote:
Quote :
We do not live in the wild west era when every day we were isolated on the plains in fear of bands of thieves and cutthroats. We live in a civilized society where guns in the possession of ordinary, untrained people is not necessary. We have a trained police force and National Guard for our protection.

I guess you've never heard of home intrusions? Do you think this family could have benefited from a gun in a drawer somewhere?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/nyregion/07slay.html

LC,

Sorry I am so late answering you.

I was afraid to click on your link fearing it was this beautiful family. I would guess the surviving father has a gun--just a hunch.

He will probably never feel safe again.

Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 11:41 am

Alice,

I do feel safer with a gun. I have gone through extensive training, practice regularly and have a permit to carry in thirty-four states. Why do I carry? Well for one thing a cop is too heavy to lug around to protect me and my wife and when seconds count, the police are at least minutes away. Oh yea, and the Governor probably won’t take my call in order to get out the National Guard. The police can't do anything until after the crime has been committed and that could be too late. If I'm going to be a statistic I want it on the plus-side. I have reached an age where the punks might consider me and my wife as easy targets...I will not allow myself to be anyone's target. As long as there are bad guys out there with weapons preying on people, I will do what is necessary to protect me and those dear to me.

Just what works for me.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 11:48 am

Don,
Good ! You will get no argument from me. You know what you are doing.

It is so good to see you again. Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 591890
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 2:37 pm

By the way, when I go to the grocery store, if there is a nut there shooting, I hope Don will be there too.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 3:55 pm

I can't argue facts. I don't have them. I can only argue from my instincts; they tell me that I live in the United States under the rules of law and the protection of the police and National Guard. I believe guns are more danger than protection and as long as they are accessible they will be used by criminals and gangs and harm innocent children and careless adults and children. This is my belief, my gut feeling, my emotional response to what I know about guns and their negative consequences. I believe that only exceptional people, trained and with a specific purpose after immense screening procedures should be allowed to carry weapons. Probably this is one of those irrational beliefs at the gut level that I will not change. I will always lobby in favor of the elimination of guns in the general population.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 2:48 am

I would agree that every American own a gun for the defense of family and country. We could then eliminate the National Guard and other protective forces. Having both is a waste of money and lives.

Last edited by Abe F. March on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

alice wrote:
By the way, when I go to the grocery store, if there is a nut there shooting, I hope Don will be there too.

Alice,
I agree with you. Having a guy like Don around would make one feel safer. He know how and to what degree to use a gun. Here's an example of how we react.

Sometimesthe law isn’t enough.

When I was home on furlough from the USAF, I was sleeping in my under shorts since it was
a hot night in August. We had a visitor passing through town who was staying the night.
He left his car parked in front of our house with his clothes in the backseat of his car.

I was awakened by my Dad shaking me, saying, “Abe, there’s someone breaking into Joe’s
car.”

I jumped out of bed, ran out the backdoor, in my under shorts, picked up a brick on the
way and leaped over the fence to the car.
The thief saw me coming, dropped the clothes he had taken from the car and
took off running with me in pursuit. I threw the brick I was carrying, hitting him in the back, but since he was moving forward, the impact didn’t stop him.
I chased him, ignoring the damage to my bare feet from the concrete and gravel, and caught up to him before he crossed the next street. I tackled him, placed my left arm around his
throat and took his right arm bending it behind him in a hammerlock. I yanked him to his feet and marched him back to the scene of the crime. As we walked, he swore at me, and I just increased the pressure on his arm. My dad had called the police and when we arrived at the scene, the police car was sitting next to Joe’s car. The police officer was examining the car and the clothes lying on the street. The town’s mayor lived next door and he was also standing next on the curb. As we approached, the kid told the police that I was trying to break his arm,
seemingly trying to transfer blame to me. The policeman asked for his ID, and the kid refused. The officer asked the mayor if he could search the kid, and the mayor nodded, yes.
The ID indicated that the kid was 17 years old, a minor. He was placed in the back of the police car and they left. I assumed that some form of justice would be taken with the kid.

About an hour later, the policeman returned and told my father that since the kid was a
minor, he was turned over to the juvenile authority, which meant that his
parents or guardians would pick him up. The officer said that this kid was a repeat offender, and was always left off the hook because he was a juvenile. He said, “Tell you son, the next time he catches someone committing a crime, to beat the shit out of him and then call us. We
take them in and the courts let them go. Our hands are tied.”
He told my dad that the kid cussed him all the way to the station trying to get the
officer to physically react so he could press charges against the officer. He said that it was difficult to tolerate that kind of verbal abuse, but he knew that any physical reaction on
his part would place him in trouble.

At the time, I was disappointed that I didn’t break the kid’s arm, feeling that it may
have served as a deterrent.
On reflection, I wondered what would have happened if the kid was carrying a
gun. At that time, I could defend myself against a knife, but against a gun? What if I was carrying a gun? Would I have used it to stop the kid from running away? One never knows. When in such a position, we react without much thought to safety or consequences. Being
young and physically capable is different than being old(er) where the use of an equalizer may seem necessary.

I feel very safe where I now live. The people who own guns are members of a Hunting Club.
Neighbors look out for neighbors. There is no offical "Neighborhood Watch" program, just being alert and reacting to any deviation from the norm. There is no crime in our village. Why? I don't know, but I do know that it is not due to having a gun.
I have a small axe behind the front door in my home. I don't expect I'll ever need to use it, but it is there just in case. I don't want to kill anyone, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it, to injure a person in the process of committing a crime. Pain is a deterrent.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 7:16 am

Thank you,, Abe.

That was a very interesting story.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 8:30 am

Question: Would you feel safer with a gun?

My answer: It would depend on who is holding the gun.

I wouldn't own a gun. I know me. I would hesitate and that mistake could cost lives. I would not feel safer holding a gun.

My son on the other hand, is a soldier, designated marksman, and a trained peace officer. I would feel safer with him holding a gun.

Guns do NOT save lives.

Responsible and well trained persons who know how to use a gun ... can. And have.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 am

Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 950944

As is usual--Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 am

When you've pointed a gun at someone, knowing that you would use it if necessary, you will know the full weight of the responsibility of owning one. It's an awesome burden. I don't recommend it.

When you shoot a thief, you have just imposed a much greater penalty than the law allows. If you shoot him, kill him. Otherwise he can sue you and win. Even if he is convicted of the crime for which you shot him.

If you shoot him on your doorstep, drag him into the house to suggest that you were in danger and feared for your life.

If you shoot him while he's robbing a 7-11, make sure you have a carry permit. Otherwise get the hell out of there.

Is this a great country, or what?
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:42 am

A very strange country!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Good post Al.

To answer the question posed by the title to this thread, I would say that I would feel safer with a gun if I were the only person holding one. And if I were the only person holding a gun, I would most likely be the biggest coward and at the same time, perceived as the greatest threat to the safety of others.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Al Stevens wrote:
When you've pointed a gun at someone, knowing that you would use it if necessary, If you point a gun at someone, the determination THAT it was necessary to use it should have already been made, you will know the full weight of the responsibility of owning one. It's an awesome burden. I don't recommend it.

When you shoot a thief, you had better be prepared to prove you were in fear of your life or that of your loved ones, you have just imposed a much greater penalty than the law allows. If you shoot him, kill him. Again, be prepared to prove you felt your life was threatened, then shoot until the threat is neutralized. Otherwise he can sue you and win. Even if he is convicted of the crime for which you shot him, for me to have shot him, his crime would have had to have been attempted murder of me or mine.

If you shoot him on your doorstep, on my doorstep he is not a threat, if he invades my home, that's where the paramedics will find him, drag him into the house to suggest that you were in danger and feared for your life, if you were not in fear of your life for real, why would you resort to deadly force?

If you shoot him while he's robbing a 7-11, it's not my job to protect 7-11, I'm not law enforcement, I will dial 911 and be prepared to defend myself if the threat comes to me, make sure you have a carry permit, if you're carrying without a permit, you're committing a felony already. Otherwise get the hell out of there.

Is this a great country, or what?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?   Would You Feel Safer With a Gun? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Would You Feel Safer With a Gun?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next