Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION

Go down 
+4
LC
Al Stevens
dkchristi
joefrank
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION Empty
PostSubject: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:57 am

9/20/2010

Here's an article that will shock your socks
off , there are 2.5 million un-employed 55
and older, seems like employers only want
young people, shameful !.

Cheers..Joe

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39265116/ns/business-the_new_york_times/
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 am

I don't have to read it. I'm one of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 10:22 am

9/20/2010

DK:

I'm sorry to hear that , can you file for your Social
Security ? I know a person that worked in a gallery here
and she's 56 , she worked there for 5 years, I'm 62 and I
put in for my Social Security, just getting by......

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 am

For the heck of it I answered all the ads on craigslist for C++ programmers in this area last year. Until I retired, I was probably the 2nd best known C++ programmer in the world because of my column. I got one phone call from all those ads. A bright young man interviewed me for about an hour. Here's the rub. He was using a series of interview questions that I wrote and published in my column about ten years ago.
He didn't recognize my name, though. How soon they forget. 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION Bom

Of course, I passed the test. We discussed age (I was 69.) He said it was not a factor. He said I'd be hearing from them. I never heard from them.

I think it was about age.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 11:31 am

With women, it's ALWAYS about age unless you get a presidential appointment - and even then, there are limits...

Men tend to have networks that pull them in at most any age. Not always. All my references are either dead or retired and no one cares what they think of me.

I was appointed to the board of newly formed philanthropic organization, and I'm doing a lot for them - for free. For free, age isn't an issue...

I did retire early from the school board, but the income is a pittance, a third of what I was making just a year ago. Try cutting your lifestyle by 2/3/ and have a good time. I have found ways to adjust and still live well so long as I don't become ill or need a new roof (which I do....).

I'm just grateful that the first two-thirds of my life are so chock full of action that I can just close my eyes and remember and not feel as though I left something out.

There are only a few things still desired: one great last love, a Mediterranean Cruise when they stop fighting in Israel, and several train trips. I'd still like to do some hiking in the Rocky Mountains and bike on Route 66 before it's completely gone to nature. Anything else I hope for is related to my sons, and I just have to wait and see in that department.

Of course, one last great novel would be pleasing.

I'm a phenomenol platform and workshop presenter (just illustrated to raves at a conference in Melbourne where I followed Secretary of State, Hilda Solis). I just need someone to find the gigs...

Everything is contacts, isn't it. It's never what you know but who you know. At his age, those with influence are quickly disappearing or have some new ingenue or protege in tow.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Quote :
seems like employers only want
young people, shameful !.

In other news, water is wet.

That said, there was a lot wrong with the people in this article, starting with the one pictured. She has this fabulous opportunity to broadcast her availability in the NYT and that's how she does it? All I saw was an obese, poorly kept woman slumped despairingly over a computer. And telling the world about all her stupid financial mistakes after getting laid off (exotic vacations, cashing out her 401k to finance a house she should have sold off, etc.)? Clearly this woman was simply not worth her high salary to her employer anymore. In bad times, the most disposable go.

The other people described were just as bad. I found it interesting that after they were unemployed they began brushing up their skills. That's something they should have been doing while they were employed, especially as they became older.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:59 pm

unemployment is bad here in u.k also. The great recession is not improving.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:17 pm

I have been employed for 51 years, always an expert in my field. I never looked for a job; they found me. I am reasonably fit and average attractive. My finances are quite sound though very limited. I think I better represent those I know who have suddently become unemployed.

As you know, the desperate and willing to be exposed people are more appealing in the news. I never found school systems or government work appealing because you didn't have be clever, just hold your own and mind your political manners and have a set job.

I worked on competitive projects with major performance parameters and pulled failing programs out of the dust and into the light. It was stressful. I had times of unemployment between projects, but always another on the horizon.

I found during my few returns to classrooms and schools that the people were ignorant of the real issues the rest of the population face when it comes to employment and making ends meet in a competitive environment. The protected jobs people are counting their days until they retire, many retired the last five years or so on the job. That's what gives older workers a tough blush. Many of the people are looking to do the least work for the most money and passing work off when they can. They don't have to be sharp; repeating the same tasks until they are proficient is sufficient.

Additionally, the actuarial tables that govern the benefits costs make the cost of employing older workers exhorbitant compared to younger ones. Also, younger ones are thrilled to come it at lower compensation, especially females. If an older worker accepts a lower salary to compete, their supervision is always concerned they may be dissatisfied by their demotion.

It is wrong and hurtful to say that the worst lose their jobs. The industry determines who loses their jobs. It's usually last in, first out. Next, it's older out. Then there might be consideration for job skills; believe me, it is cost factors that determine the firing and laying off systems - I laid off plenty of employees myself, downright fired them - for strictly cost savings purposes. Whenever an interviewer says, "what was your worst workplace experience?" It was the two times with two different employers that I was the person giving the lay-off letters or the choice to resign or be fired. It was a HORRID and sleepless night, sick stomach experience. One of my employees only 29 years of age had a heart attack and left a message on the machine that it was my fault.

I have been on both sides of the fence. I am not employed because of an amicable, signed agreement that neither party would disclose the reasons. I can tell you clearly, it was not for incompetence that I am not working.

Last edited by dkchristi on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:43 pm

9/21/2010

I see LC still doesn't get it !! Wait till she's 55 and older
can't find work , then she'll say gee they were right,
there's nothing worse than arrogance ! LC wake up and
smell the Folgers, Maybe you'll be a better human being !

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Neither does my 39 year old son. He can't understand why I don't have another job yet; must not be really looking. He's never seen me without a job on the horizon for which I am reasonably well paid. His inheritance is looking slimmer by the day. I apply in case I accidentally snag one...

He tells me age doesn't matter, that I look young. Well, applications are well-designed to ferret out age. If you lie, it's fraud.

When I tried to explain the age and female thing, he said I was just looking for an excuse. I don't need an excuse; most teachers (my last stint of employment) are retired at my age (worn out is more like it); they don't wait until 62 or 65 because they have their 30 years in and enough pension with a paid for home. The districts all but boot them out because they can buy two young ones for one old one.

There are people who believe the unemployed are lazy and just drawing their extended employment benefits. I didn't get any benefits at all. Many people don't have enough quarters to draw benefits or their benefits such as in Florida are pitiful. The max in Florida for the highest paying jobs is pitiful.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 11:08 pm

The law decided that it was discriminatory for an employer to have date of birth, religion and race on an application.
When one lists schools attended with date of graduation, etc., it doesn’t take a genius to figure out the approximate age. And, age is a big factor. In Germany, newspaper advertising for employment often indicates age preference, i.e., “between the ages of 25 and 35”. At least you don’t waste time applying for a job.
When I returned to the states for my last job, I went through the process of sending out resumes and going on interviews. What a waste of time until I began responding to ads with my qualifications, but adding: “In order to avoid a waste of your time and mine, please be advised that I am (X) years of age.”

I finally went to a temp agency that catered to international firms. I took a job that didn’t pay well, but had potential. After working for the company and proving myself, I was employed full time and had a great job with an employment contract. It was my decision not to renew the contract when I decided to retire.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:12 am

Quote :
Many people don't have enough quarters to draw benefits or their benefits such as in Florida are pitiful. The max in Florida for the highest paying jobs is pitiful.

Maybe there's nothing left after all the Medicare fraud Florida is so famous for (mostly committed by Cuban migrants just looking for a better life).
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:33 am

9/22/2010

Now LC your hitting below the belt ! I know a Cuban family I
have been friends with for 35 years. Their father was a
diplomat until Castro's reign of terror started, they all came
here from 1962 to 1968 , they all did well working etc. Read
my book: " Visions Of Freedom," it's on Amazon. It will tell
you the terror and horror you have to live under Castro....
So don't say all Cuban Immigrants created fraud !

Joe
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:54 am

Unemployment benefits are paid by businesses through taxes on the business. It is a conscious decision in Florida to pay low benefits. It's not based on what's available, although the extension of benefits does come from a Federal mandate.

Fraud is rampant in any system, private or public. It isn't a monopoly by any one culture or group of people. The more sophisticated ones are just more difficult to ferret out - like major hospital conglomerates, etc.

It occurs at all levels. In the school system, there were many people working minimally at their job while they built other businesses using their workplace comforts to do so. People take things from the workplace that don't seem like much to one person - pens, pencils, rulers, calculators, reams of paper - it grows. They waste time on their cell phones and computers.

The song, Let There Be Peace on Earth, Let it Begin With Me, includes cleaning up small dishonesty because it only grows larger until it's found at the highest levels when uncovered in scandals. Imagine what goes on when so few are actually discovered.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:17 am

Quote :
Fraud is rampant in any system, private or public. It isn't a monopoly by any one culture or group of people.

Yes, but it's REALLY rampant in Florida, with Medicare, by Cubans. Florida even beats LA.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:22 am

9/21/2010

What can I say, the girl can't help it ! Dumber than dumb !
She can't get her facts correct ! LC start getting your facts
straight...

Joe
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 10:11 am

What are the facts, Joe? Other than you have a Cuban friend.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 10:51 am

Quote :
Yes, but it's REALLY rampant in Florida, with Medicare, by Cubans. Florida even beats LA.

Are there degrees of rampant?
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 10:54 am

LC wrote:
What are the facts, Joe? Other than you have a Cuban friend.
Well, at least he has a friend... 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION Icon_tongue
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:25 pm

LC,

Where are you from? A different planet for sure.

DK, Joe and Al and Abe are accomplished people.

Believe what they say.

Don't wait until you get older .

Get some compassion now.

Please do not knock the Cubans--one of my favorite medical care providers is Cuban. 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION Lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:33 pm

http://www.aolnews.com/discuss/zeituni-onyango-obamas-aunt-says-us-obligated-to-grant-her-citizenship/19642935

Obama's aunt has been here illegaly for years, receiving free hospital care, public housing and Social Security disability payments (the latter despite never having worked).

But because she was just looking for a better life, I'm sure Alice, Joe and DK are thrilled to provide it! lol
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 2:32 pm

If she was out of money, how would/could she return to Kenya? Barrack Obama did not help her stay here--so what is the problem?

Last edited by alice on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 2:38 pm

What is the problem? Seriously?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Seriously! You are after everyone for no good reason. The Mexicans, the Cubans --now an old sick woman.

What would you do if you came here and got sick, then had no money to return home?

Fly?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 2:53 pm

The US pays to deport people who are here illegaly. Our government buys bus and plane tickets all the time.

So you think that illegal aliens are entitled to free public housing, Social Security disability payments and hospital care. Did you ever work for a living, Alice? I mean work for a significant amount of time for meaningful support funds, not hobbyist pin money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION Empty

Back to top Go down

55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next