Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake Empty
PostSubject: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 10:37 am

A man acknowledges one year of being unemployed after working
continuously for 29 years at the same time a weak jobs report by ADP was
released.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110601-706646.html

Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Where are the jobs, you ask? Outsourced to India and China or given to illegal aliens undocumented immigrants. Right now everyone on my cul-de-sac is getting a new roof and let's just say the mariachi music is loud.

Hopefully you will find something good soon.

One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake Roofssmall

Last edited by LC on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 12:58 pm

DT,

It may be your age. Obviously you are qualified and over- qualified. Unfortunately, you can't turn the clock back.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 4:07 pm

At least everyone on your street can afford a new roof. For many people these days just putting food on the table is a major.

And just a reminder from one who is early retired due to the lack of job opportunity; the lack of jobs has zero relationship to the undocumented immigrants. I have covered this ground sufficiently before so I won't do so again. Multiple economic issues have caused the lack of jobs; and undocumented immigrants is not one of them. Outsourcing jobs overseas is one of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Quote :
the lack of jobs has zero relationship to the undocumented immigrants.

If you say so. I just signed a contract to have a complete new roof and a bunch of other stuff done to my house (wood rot repair, full house and deck painting, broken windows replaced, some interior painting). Two white guys did the business dealings with me, and let me know that a crew from the Honduras will be doing the actual work ...but not to worry, the project manager speaks English. lol. okay.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Obviously, that crew accepts his wages and working conditions, thus making the job affordable to you. He would certainly hire the best workers at the least salary. Hopefully, he knows whether they are eligible to work in this country or he (and you for benefiting from the labor) could be subject to stiff fines and having the crew deported and the job unfinished. Did you ask if they were appropriately documented to work in this country? It's the right question to ask. You can guarantee that no undocumented workers are receiving any benefit from you by making sure that the contractor only hires documented workers. You are also insuring your job is completed and not interrupted by deportations and fines.

I do not advocate hiring undocumented workers. I just do not approve of blaming undocumented workers for seeking better lives for themselves and their families by gaining employment readily given to them to keep the costs of our food and local goods cheap.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 7:34 pm

No, I didn't ask him if they were illegal. As "they" say, it is racist to ask someone if they're illegal just because they have brown skin. LOL, damned if you do (seek out white people to contract with because you're reasonably sure they're legal citizens) and damned if you don't (try to find out if the Honduran crew you learn they employ is legal because you don't want to appear racist).

I just hope they do a good job, this is the biggest personal construction project I've ever embarked on, and it's stressful.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:25 pm

I believe you are entitled to know if they are legal workers.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 8:51 pm

What would be my justification for asking? I mean, if the crew were all white, would you think I should still ask?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 7:20 am

When the matter of English was raised, you could have said, " Your workers are documented, I hope?"

The bsss would have the paperwork, It is required in the state of
Washington.

Last edited by alice on Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 4:21 am

He named the country of origin. He raised the question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake   One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake Empty

Back to top Go down

One Year Unemployed Anniversary – Let Them Eat Cake
Page 1 of 1