Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION

Go down 
+4
LC
Al Stevens
dkchristi
joefrank
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I have worked for 51 years, really worked, hard, in competitive environments with long hours and no slack, always in fear whether the next project would come in to pay the bills. I had a few years of ostentatious wealth, but I still worked two jobs that were challenging.

I am not alone. My generation worked like that, men and women. We truly believed that working hard in our youth would lead to a comfortable retirement.

Every month, I donate a substantial (for me) amount to my little church. From their income, they tithe to a local charitable organization. I know that the money is going to help those in need. I don't ask who or where or what their background; they have needs; I have extra to give. Simple.

With any large organization, there are always annecdotal exceptions to the way things should be done. Hopefully, that will always be true since compassion is usually the culprit that bypasses a rule.

In my youth, many rules were broken to help me. Widespread fraud is a different matter. Mismanagement of funds is a different matter. Compassionate exception to the rules? Of course! That's why we are human.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Yes, LC, I worked as an Accountant--rode a bus downtiwn to work for ten years. How about you?

I stepped over homeless folks who slept on the sidewalk. I was working to help put our kids through college.

I liked to work--sure beats hanging out with the doctors.
I also donated hours of my time at school and at church.

I was denied disability even as I fell on the streets. Had to sue for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:46 pm

I worked from childhood. My mother made me take care of my blind grandmother.
I cleaned the house also.

When I was 14 years old I was in boardng school and worked there.
After my Junior year I started working summers in a nursing home.
I took care of my own children plus other peoples'
Went to school and became an accountant,

What more should I have done?
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:48 pm

9/22/2010

Alice..

We're wasting our breath on LC, I don't even know if
she's real or made up, she refuses to say who she is or where
she comes from ? So I will never ever answer any of her little
nasty snipes...Life is too short and I have to help a friend who
suffered a cerebal stroke, that's what matters and that's what
is important......

Cheers..joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 6:54 pm

'At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge,' said the gentleman, taking up a pen, 'it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.'

'Are there no prisons?"

'Plenty of prisons,' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

'And the Union workhouses.' demanded Scrooge. 'Are they still in operation?'

'Both very busy, sir.'

'Oh. I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,' said Scrooge. 'I'm very glad to hear it.'

'Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,' returned the gentleman, 'a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?'

'Nothing!' Scrooge replied.

'You wish to be anonymous?'

'I wish to be left alone,' said Scrooge. 'Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned-they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.'

'Many can't go there; and many would rather die.'

'If they would rather die,' said Scrooge, 'they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:21 pm

!!!
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Quote :
With any large organization, there are always annecdotal exceptions to the way things should be done. Hopefully, that will always be true since compassion is usually the culprit that bypasses a rule.

In my youth, many rules were broken to help me. Widespread fraud is a different matter. Mismanagement of funds is a different matter. Compassionate exception to the rules? Of course! That's why we are human.

Authorizing Social Security payments for one's private charity project is not "compassionate exception," it is poor stewardship of public funds as well as fraud. And unlike you, I don't think this story is an anectdotal one. I think it's more common than is reported.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Gee, Al, a Dickens quote as a response to why public funds should be misappropriated. That's never been done before.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 8:35 pm

LC,

Did I work enough to suit you? 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 Lol 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 Lol 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 Lol
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Alice -unless you were supporting your family and paying taxes on cleaning your house and watching your grandmother, no, it really wasn't what I had in mind.

Generally, I don't think people who see huge chunks of their paychecks going to taxes are as sanguine about paying for long-term benefits for the lazy and the illegal.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 7:10 am

We pay fewer taxes in this country than any other developed country in the world. In addition, those with the most have access to the most sophisticated ways to avoid paying taxes.

I pay taxes to a government where I have the power to elect people to represent my choices. If I don't like the choices they are making on my behalf, I can vote for someone else.

I have never been sophisticated enough to pay less than my whopping percent of my income for taxes. My resentment is toward those who don't pay theirs, not toward the individuals who missed the information I received that led me to seek my dreams and get the resources I needed to do so.

Whether a person is in the workplace or in their home, their expenditures are governed by the net - and no one wishes to throw away money, regardless of its source.

Programs that reduce poverty through support systems and jobs are the only answer to reducing costs to the taxpayers. I don't hear anyone suggesting we close down prisons - we'd save lots of money that way. We could also save taxes by spending the money fighting illegal drugs and turn it instead to fighting addiction. There are many productive ways to make a financial difference in the government spending that is uplifting. Picking on a few groups of people is only a speck in the sea of problems, but it is a visible speck and therefore a good target for those not willing to do the hard research into real change strategies.

Last edited by dkchristi on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 7:25 am

The unemployed and feckless get a lot less out of life than do industrious hard workers. I don't envy them. There is nothing attractive about slothfulness. I would sooner live in a community that supports the idle than one that tosses them aside to live as outcasts. It's a price we have to pay because we are all different and have different aspirations.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 8:40 am

Quote :
We pay fewer taxes in this country than any other developed country in the world.

This tired old chestnut. What you're leaving out is that the high taxes in other developed countries buy guaranteed pensions, college tuitions, and health insurance. So you're comparing apples to oranges.

Re rich tax evaders. I'm not justifying tax evasion, but one of the intangible byproducts of the misuse of public funds you're glossing over with "compassion" is that they anger people who do work and pay taxes to the point that they look for ways to evade them. People don't want to support Obama's freeloading aunt and her ilk. I don't blame them. I don't either.

Quote :
I pay taxes to a government where I have the power to elect people to represent my choices. If I don't like the choices they are making on my behalf, I can vote for someone else.

This is not terribly useful. The major parties really aren't that different, and even if a maverick candidate does come in, he or she still needs to cooperate with a bunch of others, all with their own special interests and agendas.

Last edited by LC on Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 8:45 am

Shelagh wrote:
The unemployed and feckless get a lot less out of life than do industrious hard workers. I don't envy them. There is nothing attractive about slothfulness. I would sooner live in a community that supports the idle than one that tosses them aside to live as outcasts. It's a price we have to pay because we are all different and have different aspirations.

I don't envy them. I just don't want to support them. I realize that some support is necessary. But when 40% of the population (as reported by the WSJ) is requiring some sort of government support, no, I'm not going to just sanguinely accept it as "a price we have to pay." This attitude is part of what got the Tea Party started (a party that this board seems to malign -all those "middle aged white people").
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 8:57 am

I am through with this thread. There is no use in even tryng to have a discussion. You missed the ten years of working as an Accountant. the work that began when I was 14. the Nursing home work. You will fit unto the Tea Party well.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:04 am

From past posts, I got the impression that those jobs were part-time, supplementary income. You got the accounting work to help send your kids through college. Were you a full time CPA? A major support of your family on that salary? Did you pay mortgage, utilities, food AND college tuition? If so, then great, and your philanthropy in wanting to give even more to the illegal and lazy is commendable. But if not, well, You missed THAT question, and I think it makes a difference in outlook.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 am

LC wrote:
Shelagh wrote:

I don't envy them. I just don't want to support them. I realize that some support is necessary. But when 40% of the population (as reported by the WSJ) is requiring some sort of government support, no, I'm not going to just sanguinely accept it as "a price we have to pay." This attitude is part of what got the Tea Party started (a party that this board seems to malign -all those "middle aged white people").
Is there another country in the world, with a large population, that deals with this problem more effectively than the US that you would consider to be a good role model?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:21 am

I understand your frustration, Alice; however, LC represents a voice in the United States that is heard quite often. It is the product of repeated half-truths from ratings whores and news commentators who make their living from stirring up the emotions and fears of those for whom their "status quo" is either okay, or the "status quo" needs a strawman to blame for their ills. In reality, we are to blame for our own status if we take no action and only complain.

There is no need for name calling or this heightened emotional pressure when a debate of factual information is possible, just not in a friendly forum. The facts are complex. Therefore, the law of repeating until it seems so has been mastered by the Tea Party segment and there's a rolling truck for no more money spent on government, etc., blasting out the same repetitive stuff.

LC repeats here, too. I appreciate many of LC's posts and comments and LC is quite aware of the ability to demean others as a means to shut off their comments. It's another tactic of the "don't bother me with the facts" mentality. I admit to becoming incensed myself by the comments that indicate a total lack of compassion and and little understanding of the global world. However, having a person on this board with this orientation keeps it lively so long as the disparagement of human needs is challenged by more knowledgeable people.

Personally, I hope the Tea Party splits the Republican party in half. Perhaps then those rational people who still are members of the party will put it back together and represent efficient government, fiscal conservative policies, support for small business development, programs that encourage creativity and innovation and balanced ecological and business parnerships. I might still tag onto the Republicans if they lost their radical right wing religiosity and became creative with ideas instead of damning progress without providing their own solutions and supporting ratings whores and people who turn their hate mongering into a financial windfall such as Palin.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:22 am

Quote :
Is there another country in the world, with a large population, that deals with this problem more effectively than the US that you would consider to be a good role model?

Mexico criminalizes its illegal entrants and kicks them back across the border immediately. No welfare is given. High irony, eh? I like the way Mexico deals with this issue.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:25 am

dkchristi wrote:
I understand your frustration, Alice; however, LC represents a voice in the United States that is heard quite often. It is the product of repeated half-truths from ratings whores and news commentators who make their living from stirring up the emotions and fears of those for whom their "status quo" is either okay

In your opinion. Maybe their statements of truth is what really riles people up?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:29 am

LC wrote:
From past posts, I got the impression that those jobs were part-time, supplementary income. You got the accounting work to help send your kids through college. Were you a full time CPA? A major support of your family on that salary? Did you pay mortgage, utilities, food AND college tuition? If so, then great, and your philanthropy in wanting to give even more to the illegal and lazy is commendable. But if not, well, You missed THAT question, and I think it makes a difference in outlook.
Philanthropy? At my old primary school, every year, every child in the school received a small amount of money from Peter Lathom's Charity. Recently, I put information about this charity on the Wrightington Wikipedia page. In the seventeenth century, Peter Lathom was a wealthy landowner who took to the roads and became a beggar:

An English paper says: — "The trustees of the charity of Peter Lathom, once a beggar, of Mawdsley, near Preston, have just met. It was reported that the property, which originally cost a few hundreds, was now worth £570,000 - One block had recently been sold for £87,000, the fabulous advance in value being owing to the discovery of coal on the land. Lathom left the land for the benefit of the thirteen townships through which he begged, to keep and apprentice four lads, to further education, and other philanthropic uses."

West Coast Times. WEDNESDAY, APRIL 13, 1881.

Today, the charity still helps young people:

"The key objectives of the Charity are to provide financial assistance for the education and training of persons under the ages of 25 years resident in the districts forming the area of benefit of the Charity, and in the application of income for the relief of persons in need, hardship or distress similarly resident within the said qualifying district."

http://www.wrightingtonparishcouncil.co.uk/peter_lathom.htm

Do we now live in an age where helping others is no longer seen as acceptable? The villagers who gave food, shelter and odd jobs to beggars did not know one of them was a landowner and could well afford to feed himself. I know these villages very well and the people who live there -- they would give you the shirt off their backs if they thought you were in need.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:31 am

Quote :
Do we now live in an age where helping others is no longer seen as acceptable?

LOL, with 40% of the US population receiving handouts, and Obama's aunt receiving so much aid that she thinks she's now entitled to citizenship, I hardly think that's the case!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 9:45 am

Unfortunately, the United States is an experiment with phenomenal success; no other country in the world is like us. Hopefully, we are not terminally unique.

Every developed country has issues related to its size and meeting the economic needs of all its people. Personally, I like the way one of Indian tribes near me handles their poverty: every child receives a lifetime inheritance of several thousand dollars a month for the rest of their life from the Casino windfalls. That solves a lot of things. It has created a baby market, a marriage market and the freedom and income for rampant addiction to alchohol and drugs. However, unemployment is not an issue....with every gift is a curse.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:42 am

LC wrote:
Gee, Al, a Dickens quote as a response to why public funds should be misappropriated. That's never been done before.
Somebody needed to give you the dickens.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 10:58 am

9/23/2010

As I've said before , LC doesn't get it nor will she ever get it.
As far as I'm concerned I know the truth and I'm neither a
Democrat nor a Republican nor a Tea Partier. I only know that
I feel for the people who are 55 and older and can't find jobs !
I know many who have been cast aside, can't find work because
of their age, so LC when you get 55 and older see if age goes
against you, Oh I forgot their is no age for writers.. So stop picking
on us seniors....

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION   55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

55 AND OLDER UNEMPLOYED- 2.5 MILLION
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next