Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Health Benefits

Go down 
+5
dkchristi
Carol Troestler
Dick Stodghill
alj
Abe F. March
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 2:43 am

Old remedies?

On our latest visit to the Doctor, my wife said she needed something to help her get to sleep. The Doctor suggested that she drink a beer before going to bed. He said the Hopps in the beer makes one drowsy. He said to try that, and if it doesn’t work, then he’ll prescribe some medication.

I told the Doctor that I had problems with hiccupping when I eat. He said, “Do like the French. Have an Aperitif before your meal. It helps to lubricate the esophagus. The dryness of the esophagus will often cause hiccupping and difficulty in swallowing the food. Try that.” Smiling, he said, “If you start wanting an Aperitif or Schnapps every couple of hours, then we’ll try something else.”

A Greek restaurant, the Poseidon, that we frequent, places a shot of Ouzo on the table as soon as you sit down. After dinner, they bring a Cognac. It’s all included in the price. The Ouzo is the lubricant and the Cognac helps with the digestion of the food.

Red Wine is known to benefit the heart. In Germany, beer is often prescribed for pregnant women.*

Are these old remedies? Has your Doctor prescribed drinking as a health benefit?Health Benefits Icon_biggrin

*It could be that the beer brewed in Germany for local consumption is different because it is dated. It does not contain the preservatives used for export and wide distribution as in the USA nor does it contain as much carbonation. For more information, see "http://beer-brewing.suite101.com/article.cfm/reinheitsgebot_101"
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 4:42 am

Good post, Abe

There have been studies showing that moderate amounts of wine, caffeine, and dark chocolate are all beneficial to our health. These studies are another example of how moderation in all things is the best way to go.

And your comment about the lack of preservatives in German beer is a good one. The preservatives put into our food are far more harmful than any food itself.

Foods like eggs, cream, butter, even lard, are better for our health than the processed substitutes our doctors insist we should consume instead. As long as we keep to moderate amounts and eat plenty of vegetables of various colors, a bit of natural, grass-fed meat and dairy, including a little dairy fat is good for us as well.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 5:35 am

I'll drink to that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 6:04 am

Abe,

I have fond memories of the Poseidon Restaurant, ouzo and all!

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 6:45 am

Too many years ago to count, I was quite ill while living in Germany. I went to the very inexpensive physician who gave me an envelope with some herbs to brew into a tea. He said to get more from the pharmacist. The herbs were also quite inexpensive and the best cure for my symptoms I have ever had, including all the fancy gizmo's now at my disposal.

Unfortunately, I don't know what they were. My illness never came back until a couple years ago when I was working in an old building that was a bat roost, with daily exposure to bat dung and urine as well as the bats themselves. I reached the point where I could not breathe.

No herbs were recommended, only steroids and medicins that make my heart race and are almost scarier than not breathing. Fortunately, though my lungs seem quite damaged from the several years exposure and only the medicins to cope, I am no longer in the employ of that school district and have a better building in which to work. I am improving without the medications. The herbs would be welcome, however.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 7:00 am

That seems to me to make sense Abe.
Who can argue with these remedies that have developed over the years. I give them a try . Health Benefits Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 7:24 am

Carol,
I thought you’d remember the Poseidon. We were there two weeks ago and the entire atmosphere was changed. There is a new crew. Seems that most of the staff went on retirement – some returning to Greece.
On our way out we met one of the original staff and will make sure he is
on duty for our next visit. The old crew welcomed us by name and there was always conversation about our stay in Greece. A restaurant may have good food and fine furnishings, but it is the staff that makes the difference. When they make you feel like family, you want to return.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Abe,

You have a very wise doctor.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
harry
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
harry

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 2:26 pm

I have not such doctor's order but I have great deal of empty flasks in corner which I have gulped down-
Cheer,
harry
Back to top Go down
http://oceanrover.blogspot.com/
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 11:38 am

Here is great method to sleep. I been using some time. It can work with everyone but only if you accept it. Either way, it dont bother me, i get good nights sleep from it every night. It is hypnosis. Get a good cd. But choose a really good expert not just some crappy hypnotist who has a recording. You got to trust the person who is doing it. It dont have to be a get to sleep trance. I listen to trance based on positive themes.

I dont know how i managed without hypnotism, I remember not being able to sleep all night and then still having to go to work.

But again, this can work but only if you believe it. And if you dont understand much about hypnotism, it is natural and happens every time you have a day dream.

If you dont like this idea, dont reply, if you do like it..enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Health Benefits Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Benefits   Health Benefits Empty

Back to top Go down

Health Benefits
Page 1 of 1