Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Health Insurance

Go down 
+4
Dick Stodghill
alj
A Ahad
alice
8 posters
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 5:38 am

What do you think about making people pay more for health insurance if they are oveweight, eat wrong things or smoke?

Last edited by Alice on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 6:06 am

Great idea, as it would make people think about their lifestyle and take more responsibility for their diet and well being...
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 6:59 am

How do you define overweight and wrong foods? Smoking, I can see. There isn't much controversy there, but being overweight is a tricky thing. Reports come out relatively often (and quickly squelched), that indicate "moderately overweight" people are often healthier than those whose weight is "normal." It seems to me that one might realize that today's "normal," which is a good 10-15% lower than the "normal" of 30-40 years ago, is actually underweight and unhealthy by comparison.

And we are constantly, these days, re-evaluating which foods are healthy and which are not.

One of the biggies in the current health care discussions has to do with "pre-existing conditions." I'm afraid weight and eating habits could suffer from the same prejudices.

Just me.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 7:12 am

What do you mean there isn't much controvery there? I started smoking full-time because the United States government gave me free smokes by the cartonful. Now the same government should charge me more for insurance? I don't care, though, because I get health care from the VA and it's all free. In fact I'm heading for a free visit with the primary care doctor right now. Nothing wrong, they just like to keep checking you over and asking if you feel suicidal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 7:18 am

Nice of them to put the idea of suicide into your mind. Are they trying to save money?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 7:38 am

Dick,

Tell them you feel homicidal--give them pause for thought.

Toy with them, see if they are even listening to you.

I got so tired of saying my birthdate, I began to change the year.

I would say 1347, just to see if they were awake. They were.

Another question I loved was, " Do you feel safe in your home?"

I answered, "Yes."

Then, 'Who lives with you?"

I answered, "My husband."

"Are you afraid of him?'

"Just when he tries to push me out the window."

"No joking allowed."

"Aw Phooey!"
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 8:23 am

I place obesity in the same class as smoking. Both can be controlled with will power. As for statistics, check this out.
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/o/obesity/deaths.htm
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 am

First, there is a big difference between what is considered "overweight" and "obese." A BMI of 25 is considered "normal" today. A BMI of 30 is said to be "obese."

However, the BMI doesn't take in to account the difference between fat weight and muscle weight. By using the standard means for determining BMI, a muscular male who works out consistently could easily fall into the "obese" range.

"Normal" weights for a woman of 5'6" can range from 115 to 150 depending on the methods used and/or the reason for determining "normal."

Of course, most cases of extreme obesity put one at risk. Even there, there are more than a few documented cases of overweight, even mildly obese people who pass all the other tests for good health.

Fighting fat is big business, and a lot of money is being made from the current attitudes toward obesity, money from plans and products that often do more harm than good. I still go back to the point I made earlier. Who is to decide what a healthy weight for an individual is, and how far over that ideal must one go for them to be at risk?

There's an old song that goes "Everybody's gotta have somebody to look down on," and today, people who are not considered an ideal weight are becoming the favorite scapegoat.

Everybody - everybody - has a right to decent health care.

Sorry, but it's something I feel strongly about.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 9:13 am

And obesity is a condition that has many, varied and complex causes. It is almost never a simple matter of willpower.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am

Ann,
I too believe that everyone has a right to decent healthcare.
But the care on one's health is an issue that is as controversial as politics and religion.
To go through life depriving oneself of enjoyment is no way to live. For some, eating is their enjoyment. For some, smoking or drinking is their enjoyment. To condem someone for the life they choose is wrong. To evaluate problems caused by over indulglence is dealing with facts, and that was my point.
There are exceptions to every rule. The exceptions you mentioned are not in the majority.
Who determines what overweight is? Personally, I don't consider a person that is moderately overweight as fat or obese. Being pleasantly plump, being able to do everything one wants to do without restrictions caused by weight, is seldom a health problem.

Truce? This is a no win subject.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:14 am

Truce.

This is the second time lately that I've allowed myself to get ticked at something you've said, Abe. My bad. One thing, though, when I express my feelings, it's easy to let go of them.

Just one other point, and I will do that. People die from anorexia and bulimia, too. I've been bulimic, and I don't ever want to go back there. This is a complex subject without simple answers.

I'm done, and I apologize for the intensity of my response.

Health Insurance 499995 (with a good German beer!)

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:27 am

Remind me Ann, what was the first thing that ticked you off? Perhaps it was a misunderstanding.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 10:44 am

Abe,

It was here:

http://www.publishedauthors.org/chatter-box-f3/hot-t3348-15.htm#50785

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 11:10 am

Ann,
I suppose I could have worded it differently, but meant what I said.
I have three brothers living in central Florida. It is hot and humid. When I visited in the summer, I couldn't take a walk during the day because it was too hot. When I went early in the morning, the humming of AC's could be heard everywhere with windows closed and blinds drawn. When we left the Air Conditioned house we got into an Air Conditioned car. When we arrived at the mall, we rushed inside where it was exceptionally cold.
When I asked my brother how he could live this way, he replied, "It's better than paying large gas bills to keep warm in the winter."
"So what's the difference?" I replied. "You have high electric bills from the AC's, don't you? And when do you get a chance to exercise?
He didn't answer the exercise question and said, "I just like it in Florida."

As I remarked in my post, if you like it hot, etc., etc., good for you. That is assuming that there is a choice. For people who have no choice, my post was incomplete.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 12:40 pm

Abe,

I just like it in Texas. Health Insurance Icon_lol

Ann
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Let me weigh in on the subject.

I don't think smokers should be treated like second class citizens because they choose to smoke cigarettes. I don't think they should be charged more, or taxed bigger, or made to stay out of restraurants and other places because they smoke. This is especially true with government buildings, where the taxes on tobacco helped to erect and maintain most of them. I have long advocated for any government building that refuses to allow smoking inside to have to turn down any money they might get from tobacco. In Tennessee, where I grew up, tobacco has been a big portion of the tax base for generations, and yet, you can't go in a public building and enjoy a cigarette. This is because non smokers have a huge club they hold over smokers, and they don't mind conking them on the head every chance they get. Recently, Florida levied an extra $1 per pack on cigarettes, claiming that it was to help people chose to stop smoking, as well as to pay for the extra care that smokers might require. Of course, I think that's BS. They wanted more money in their coffers, and smokers don't have a leg to stand on anymore.

If the government really wanted to do something about tobacco, all they have to do is make the growing, the harvesting, and the production of all tobacco products illegal. They will never do that, because they want the cash cow to keep giving billions of dollars in tobacco milk every year. That's called being hypocritical at the highest attainable level.

I am waiting for some silly ass private study to set the boundaries on other things, just as they have on tobacco. What will people do when they say that the acceptable weight limit for a person that is 5'7" is not over 150 lbs. Then they tax every pound over that, they won't let you have health insurance, and you won't be allowed to go into any building anywhere until you lose the weight. They will decide what weight is too much, and there won't be anything you can do about it. Close down every fast food restrurant in the country, and have the check out people at every supermarket check your basket for food you are not allowed to buy if you are over a certain weight.

And how about the alcohol industry? Put an extra $1 a bottle tax on all beer sold, and $5 more on wine and liquor. Close down all of the places that sell liquor by the drink, and make it a crime to drink a beer in public.

I'm all for equality, but only when it is across the board. The laws covering the use of cigarettes inside were sufficient for years and years, and should still be in place. How did we ever allow so much power to be placed into the hands of so many people who have no tolerance for anyone other than themselves?
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 6:23 pm

Dear E Don,
Neither you nor I weigh enough to have ay weight to throw around. I figure you would need at least 300 pounds and me a 250 would do. hahahahahahahahah.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Good Post, Don.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 3:05 am

E.Don,

You are so right--it is ridiculously outrageous.

I have always wondered why they got so upset over smoking--it is drinking that kills a lot of people.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 6:08 am

I agree, Don. They did try Prohibition, of course, and never was it easier to get a drink. It created many new drinkers because of the romantic angle and it also gave us organized crime. Now because of the high taxes on cigarettes they have created a huge black market network.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

Health Insurance Empty
PostSubject: Re: Health Insurance   Health Insurance Empty

Back to top Go down

Health Insurance
Page 1 of 1