Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors

Go down 
+17
Don Stephens
chadwick59
RetiredName
alj
alice
dkchristi
Abe F. March
Brenda Hill
Betty Fasig
dtpollard
Carol Troestler
A Ahad
Dick Stodghill
dmondeo
LC
Malcolm
Shelagh
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 11:54 am

Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 973110
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 4:05 pm

For two people who have had their work published, that sounded very unprofessional.

To me that is like my husband saying he got his passengers from point A to point B and who cares if it was a bumpy landing, at least he's getting a paycheck.
You have no idea how much pride a pilot takes in a smooth landing, and it has absolutely nothing to do with getting paid.

I am sorry, but it is important to me that people who buy my book are glad they did. I may never be published as you two have, but I will always do the best I can and hope readers will like what I write.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 4:59 pm

Sheesh, Carol, it was a joke. Smile Of course I want people to like my books. But not everyone will. What am I supposed to do about it?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 5:12 pm

I had an interesting experience this weekend. For some reason, authors who post on these forums hardly ever mention their publisher, as though it's a big secret. Well, I am absolutely thrilled to have three contracts with L & L Dreamspell, a micro publisher whose genre choices are not entirely my reading choices. Their authors sell books and have strong online activities. Their books are well written, well publicized in target media and beautiful in eye catching ways.

Back to my weekend. I was dining with strangers and the subject of books came up, then publishers. One young woman out of the blue said, "I read every paranormal book published by L & L Dreamspell. I also read some of their romances. I watch their web site for new releases." I was shocked. It was the first time I heard a person describe their reading choices by publisher! And it was my publisher! Her friend chimed in about liking the same books. I could not keep my mouth shut and said I was an author under contract to L & L Dreamspell. It was as if I had a contract with Harper Collins. They had in their midst an author who wrote books for their favorite publisher.

Who knows how it will all shake out. I'm just glad to be hanging in here for the ride. Watch for Ghost Orchid - it's coming soon. I have two new fans lined up already.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 5:23 pm

That's really cool, DK! And I bet it made you feel like a million dollars. Smile
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 5:26 pm

Mostly I've learned to never mention "author" or "writing" among friends. I just felt happy. Thanks....
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 7:27 pm

DK,

Very nice!

Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 846271

Carol
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 pm

DK,

What a great moment. I, too, would be very surprised to hear anyone bring up the name of a publisher, though from a writer's perspective, it's obvious there's a lot of "brand loyalty" when certain houses and genres are involved.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Carol Troestler wrote:
For two people who have had their work published, that sounded very unprofessional.

To me that is like my husband saying he got his passengers from point A to point B and who cares if it was a bumpy landing, at least he's getting a paycheck.
You have no idea how much pride a pilot takes in a smooth landing, and it has absolutely nothing to do with getting paid.

I am sorry, but it is important to me that people who buy my book are glad they did. I may never be published as you two have, but I will always do the best I can and hope readers will like what I write.

Carol

Unprofessional, Carol? Did you not receive a paycheck when you were in mental health? True, I'm sure you took pride in your work, but I'm also sure you received some compensation other than the satisfaction of knowing you helped people.

Do you honestly think a writer would spend hours, days, weeks, months, and years learning the profession to not take pride in his/her work just because s/he may need to earn a paycheck or royalties? If you honestly think that, then perhaps you'd better speak to published authors who've been in the game a while. Everyone needs a paycheck, especially if they don't have a spouse to help support them.

Everyone, unless they're born to royalty, needs money to survive, to pay the rent and buy groceries. So they work. If they're lucky, they can learn a certain profession they're interested in and work in that field - such as writing.

BUT they do expect a paycheck. There's nothing unprofessional about that. I'm very concerned about royalties and what I make from my articles, but I still spend a lot of time writing each and every one because I take pride in my work.

And I'm sure your husband took pride in his work as a pilot. However, how long would he go to work if he did not receive a paycheck? Not long, I'm sure. And I'm sure he was concerned about pay raises. Did that concern make him unprofessional?

And finally, do you think I do not take pride in my work because I check royalty rates or the amount per line or work in the articles I write? If you think that, then you've never seen me work. Perhaps you've never seen all the how-to books I have in my library that I still refer to. Each morning while other people may read their newspaper, I select one of my how-tos and refresh, simply with the hopes of it helping me write just a little better. I may go over a passage in something I'm writing more times that I'd want to admit simply because I want it as perfect as I can get it. Do you not think that's pride at work?

I've had one novel selected as Novel of the Quarter by one writing organization. I've had a short story featured as 'Twelve-tissue Tearjerker' by a major magazine. Romantic Times Book Review magazine rated one of my novels with a four out of four and a half stars, and finally, they said I was a 'gifted storyteller.' Do you not think I've worked and worked to achieve those honors? And yes, I'm still working because, as most everyone knows, I'm hoping to achieve more.

And you think that's not pride?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 2:31 am

If you are in a hole, stop digging, Brenda. Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 505411 Carol may not win arguments with you every time, but she won hands down this time.

DK,

I couldn't be more pleased for you. We all know that a certain group of unmentionables would say that you should have bi-passed PA and submitted to small presses from the off. You and I know that the experience learned from being published at no cost is a tremendous asset when submitting to small publishers. I hope this next step leads to bigger and better opportunities. Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 931984
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 3:29 am

Actually, this is also about "noise". You can sell bad books simply by making more "noise". I'm not saying mines is a bad book or anything... but I noticed as soon as I said I'm turning it into a movie, my sales have sparked up in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Ark-Alpha-Centauri-Ahad/dp/141379324X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249381469&sr=1-2
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 3:40 am

That's brilliant, Abdul!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 4:47 am

Wow. This thread sure has its twists.
DK. I've never heard anyone mention buying a book based on the publisher. That is unusual.
Carol. Taking pride in what one does should be the aim of every person. There were many times in my career when I didn't think of the money when I did a job. Then there were those times when survival dictated what I did even though I hated what I was doing. I don't think there's a catch-all statement about job-satisfaction.
I agree with Brenda in perfecting what one does. A pilot does not make a smooth landing by accident. A professional tries to perfect what one does and there is seldom ever a time when one can say, "I know it all - there's nothing more to learn."
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 5:59 am

Brenda Hill wrote:
I've had one novel selected as Novel of the Quarter by one writing organization. I've had a short story featured as 'Twelve-tissue Tearjerker' by a major magazine.
Dear Miss Hill,
I spent a quarter for one of your stories but only used three tissues. Do you think this means there is something wrong with me or should I just wait for your next book and see if the tissue count increases? Any advice you may offer will be appreciated.
Disturbed in Ohio
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 7:25 am

Shelagh wrote:
That's brilliant, Abdul!

This is all a good buzz.

I wrote to this guy who has to give permission for use of Warner Bros artist Enya's music in my film, and guess what? He's not replied. I'm gonna give him a couple more e-mails... and if he doesn't come back to me, I'm gonna go ahead and use the music anyway!!

Shoot first and ask questions later LOL...
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 7:49 am

There's a contact address on this fan site:

http://www.enyafanstudio.com/contact.html
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks Shelagh.
Actually, this will be the least of my concerns. First I have to slog for the next 12 to 15 months to record my feature film.

I'd love to write the words in a promotional trailer: "COMING SOON"
...but not just yet!
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Dear Disturbed in Ohio:

I’m so sorry you only used three tissues for your quarter. Perhaps a good swift kick in the derriere might cause more tears and help you feel you got your money’s worth. I’d be happy to oblige.

And Shelagh, I do not feel as if I’m in a hole. If you’ve never felt pride while earning a paycheck, then perhaps you’ve never earned a paycheck.

And Abe, I’m sure there were times that you, as a successful businessman, were concerned about a paycheck and also felt pride in your work. Most successful people do.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Back to my dinner surprise: I never looked at who published a book until I wrote one. I wonder, though, with small presses that target a specific genre, if their marketing might lead to brand identification? If you want a trashy romance, there's always Harlequin paperbacks and some other genre imprints also. If you want quality paranormal, vampire, romance and mystery, there's L & L Dreamspell. So much is changing in publishing and writing, that anything is possible.

My debut novel, Arirang: The Bamboo Connection, took me to places I never knew because of the PAMB. I just ordered my hard copy (at last). I made the right decision at that time. We all do the best we can with the information we have at hand.

I was determined to write a book since I was a teenager and read a series of books by Grace Livingston Hill about virginal, impoverished young women who found their prince and found happiness through Christian marriage. It was that teenager in me who finished Arirang: The Bamboo Connection, the accomplishment of a long-held goal, a goal that was born before I even thought about royalties or recognition or sales.

The adult was awakened to the realities and has been muddling through the quagmire since, with successes and failures in the sales and promotion department for all that I've written. Yes, I would like the value of my words validated by high volume sales; I would like to quit my day job. At the same time, the accomplishment of the goal and the enjoyment of a modicum of success and some measure of recognition as an author, make it worthwhile.

The bonus? The communication with other authors with so much they willingly share. Without my first novel, I would not know you were there.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 pm

N/A

Last edited by Alice on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 8:11 pm

Abe, if what I wrote sounded like a snipe to you, I apologize. It was meant as recognition of all the years you were a successful businessman, and I have nothing but admiration for you.

Alice, save your breath. I'm past the age where I have to listen to you or anyone else, and if I want to deliver a nice kick, I'll do so. So butt out.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 8:18 pm

N/A

Last edited by Alice on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Yes, you are.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:05 pm

Abe has a very moving chapter in his book, To Beirut and Back, where he found himself and his family in the middle of a war where he lost all his material success and was faced with difficult life-changing decisions. I highly recommend this book, and the chapter I speak of is a memorable one with a strong message regarding material success and pride. It is beautiful, and I am so glad Abe made the decisions he did.

Carol
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:06 pm

I also highly recommend Abe's book. It's a great read!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next