Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors

Go down 
+17
Don Stephens
chadwick59
RetiredName
alj
alice
dkchristi
Abe F. March
Brenda Hill
Betty Fasig
dtpollard
Carol Troestler
A Ahad
Dick Stodghill
dmondeo
LC
Malcolm
Shelagh
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Dear Ann,
Amazon is a power house. It helped us all and gave us some credibility.

I wonder about these 50,000 new PA authors.

I think about them. How hopeful they are, how some of them have written beautiful books that no one will ever see. I have tried to befriend a few on that message board only to be followed up with Pier and her "send me an email" note. My posts go unanswered.

I am glad to be here.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Alice wrote:

It is disgusting to me that women are in the habit of attending Tupperware, basket and crystal parties--plunking down 20-30 bucks for a whatnot and never think that perhaps they could help an author.

I hate getting invitations to those parties. IMO, they're "favor" things, done to help out someone who, for whatever reason, won't get a real job. That said, the parties offer a catalog of trinkets, one of which I'm bound to find some use for, so I don't see them as comparable to buying a book. I don't buy books to help authors out, I buy them if I think the subject will entertain or enhance me.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 6:33 pm

First, any great idea has to be voiced by someone before it can be considered by anyone. Thanks, Alice, for putting an idea out there for consideration. I am surprised, however. You were initially disappointed that no one responded to your idea. Me, I was just thinking out loud and putting those thoughts on paper. I don't know that I was for or against anything. In fact, I said, "count me in." I was thinking you would be thrilled that so many people jumped in to talk about their frustrations and hopes as a result of your idea.

I think it's admirable that you are able to donate your profits and that you choose that approach. My sister-in-law's mother wrote a great story about her experience as a child raised by a Quaker sect that took in other people's children during the depression but had none of their own. It was a fascinating story. She donated the royalties to the preservation of the communal living quarters where she was raised; as the sect, without children of their own, became extinct. In fact, she turned over her book rights to them to continue publishing and selling to benefit the historical preservation.

One of my posts about this thread was to celebrate each of us for having the courage to publish our work in the first place. Anything beyond that is one more step that differs for each person. Many of us have our own burdens that impact our choices. Some may be financial, others physical or emotional. Whatever they are, they provide the filters through which we perceive and react to information and ideas. Sometimes, it takes talking about something over time and digesting it before decisions are clear.

For some people, decisions are made on the spot, yes or no. We are all so very different. It's a good thing, these differences; life would be so dull if we were all cut from the same cloth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 6:35 pm

My dear author friends.

The only way we can help ourselves is to make this forum The Author's Forum that Established Authors of Renoun and New soon to be Famous Authors Frequent. I mean this with seriousness.

We need to attract greatness. Not just our greatness, but recognized, bonefide hoopla greatness. Where is Jamie Farr when you need him? Snort.

We need research into this, how to talk them up, get them to see we are just regular folk with hope. We need a presidential daughter.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 6:40 pm

Why is my buy button back on Amazon?
Aren't yours back too?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 7:02 pm

No.
I think you have to be your own publisher to get the button back.

I think I am through with this discussion.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 7:18 pm

DK,

I am thrilled with the response. My initial thinking was--I am not psychic -- "These people have no interest in this."

I decided to give you all a chance to talk and you did so.
All of your ideas were great--just reinforced the complexity of the problem. There are no easy answers.

Betty,

Don't be done--I love you and your ideas--my buy button is back and book price is $19.95.

I am not a publisher.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Dear Alice,
Get mine back for me. 19.95 is better than 24.95. do your magic.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 7:28 pm

This was a good discussion in spite of all the twists and turns. Betty, you are right. We need a president's daughter. We need to form the "Good Book Seal of Approval.

I don't think my buy button is there either. I don't know why yours is Alice.

Good-night Betty.

Love, Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 7:40 pm

Good Night Carol. I am off to one my self. My Wooffer is in my arms and off to his pillow.

What comfort it is to know you have a place waiting to lay your body down to sleep that is soft and safe and someone there beside you.

I will think this night of little Sophie. Her spirit is great and looking down on Dick and Jackie this night. Funny how a little animal that small can have such a wonderfully large spirit. Her spirit has enfolded us all on this message board and probably a lot of others, as well. We will not forget her.

God bless Sophie and Dick and Jackie.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 8:58 pm

8/10/2009

Hi Shelagh & Everyone...

I don't write to become $$$$$$$$$$, I write because I want children to read, most important. The next reason is to tell a story so people can enjoy it, maybe take them away from the everyday trauma of dealing with the modern world....By the way I don't know if any of you know this PA has a new program to get author's book signings, the co-ordinator's name is Karen, she' awesome. She somehow has the midas touch and got me two book signings for " Dusty," the first on Sept. 12th, 2009 at Hasting Books Store here in Santa Fe,NM, USA and th second at a fancy pet boutique, I'm thrilled, I tried for over a year and no one wanted to answer, I think they needed this kind of push..

My latest book is titled: " Clara Layten-The Chelsea Murders." I think it should be out in the late fall. Does anyone here know how to upload a photo to a thread ?
My new web page check it out...

http://jfbaraba.webs.com/murderinchelsea.htm

Cheers..Joe...
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 1:33 am

joefrank wrote:

Hi Shelagh & Everyone...

I don't write to become $$$$$$$$$$, I write because I want children to read, most important. The next reason is to tell a story so people can enjoy it, maybe take them away from the everyday trauma of dealing with the modern world....

Those are very honorable reasons to write. They are goals we can accomplish.

I think sometimes we are filled with "shoulds" in life. We should have our books published with a traditional publisher. We should write to make money. The "shoulds" put me in a box.

But we can write to get children to read or to tell a story. Telling the story takes talent and skill, but most can work at that and achieve it if we have the desire to write. Getting children to read is another matter. We need to write those stories they will love.

I don't write to become rich. I don't need to. I am rich in many ways. I write to give to the world, because of a longing, because like Betty often says that the words are spilling out of my fingertips. My world has been narrowed for health reasons and it is something possible for me to do.

Since we have been brainstorming here, I think we need more book clubs for kids, more donations of books to schools to be given away.

When we went to the library a few weeks ago, it was crowded with kids. They were possibly attracted by the bright posters, the rack of puppets (that one caught my eye) or the small table and chairs at which to sit and look at books.

Then there is the young adult group, a group that needs books about historic events written in ways that will keep their interest, books that tell stories they can relate to, books that will take them away from the doldrums of life.

We need books. There have been studies about the value of being surrounded by books. I am. Being surrounded by books is more important to me than expensive furnishings.

Love, Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 pm

Any new thoughts about how unknown authors can break through?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Sleep

Last edited by Long gone on Sun May 02, 2010 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 5:06 pm

3/24/2010

I'll take the lottery, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
So I can help the children at St. Judes Hospital..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 5:16 pm

Sleep .

Last edited by Long gone on Sun May 02, 2010 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 6:45 pm

One way is going to sound pretty simple, but... a killer title. I don't think there is anything that grabs attention like clever, dramatic and "just so perfect" title.

"Why Women Love Jerks", "How To Win Friends and Influence People", "Death: An Introduction", "I'm OK, You're OK"... hell, "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" jumped out from all the Tommy and The Duck titles.

I owe a lot of my sales to the title. "Mexican Slang 101". People see it, most of them smile. People pick it up and show it to their friends and their friends smile. They look to see what it's about.

A book called "The Crossing" or "Wilma Jones" is not only unknown author--it's unknown book. You see "Take This Form and Shove It", your on familiar terms immediately.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:20 pm

What about a title, "Go to Hell?" I did a google and didn't see that as a book title.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 4:09 am

What is the book about? Who is the target audience?
Back to top Go down
mike bryon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 285
Registration date : 2010-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:06 am

New ways unknown authors can break through.

On AW’s non-fiction forum, Cameron Chapman has posted a thread entitled cold-contacted by publisher. The publisher became aware of him through the blogs he writes and edits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors   Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Difficulty of selling books by unknown authors
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9