Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Did you Like School?

Go down 
+11
Shelagh
Pam
W. Lane Rogers
Carol Troestler
Dick Stodghill
alj
Phil Whitley
RunsWithScissors
Don Stephens
Richard Stanbery
alice
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Did you Like School? Empty
PostSubject: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyMon May 25, 2009 8:57 pm

Did you like grade school?

Were you the teacher's favorite child or most detested?

Were you grades good, average or bad?

Did you have a favorite teacher?

Describe the worst teacher you had.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Richard Stanbery
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Richard Stanbery

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyMon May 25, 2009 9:00 pm

I was the kind of student that teachers always remember, I'll put it that way. My grades were...all over the board, depending on whether or not I liked the subject. I had some fav teachers, and one of them was also a pastor, and performed the wedding service for my wife and I many years after I graduated from the public school that he taught at.As an adult, we continued our friendship. I hunted and fished with him a lot, and he is a great guy.
Back to top Go down
http://richardstanbery.webs.com/index.htm
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyMon May 25, 2009 9:23 pm

Twisted Evil

Last edited by D. J. (Don) Stephens on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyMon May 25, 2009 9:27 pm

I loved school and was always the teacher's pet. =) My favorite teacher was Miss Coverston. I thought she was beautiful, smart and she was the first teacher I ever had who wasn't married. For some reason I thought that was really cool.

Mrs. Crabill was one of the worst teacher's I had. She made me feel stupid when I received a B, rather than an A.

My favorite part of school was our reading circle where we would read portions of a book out loud and would take turns reading out loud. I would always sit next to Ralph (another kid in school). He stuttered a bit whenever he would read and I found that if I tapped his foot with mine it distracted him and he didn't stutter as much. He relaxed a bit or something. It was kind of funny. =) We were great friends all through school. Well, until the fourth grade when we moved to another town.
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyMon May 25, 2009 9:31 pm

I loved school - from grade school through high school. The grade
(grammar) school I attended was in unincorporated Pine Mountain Valley.
We had coal-burning stoves in each classroom and each day in the winter
one of us boys would be assigned the "go-get-a-bucket-of-coal" duty. It
was not a punishment, but an honor - a duty.

I was the four-eyed nerdy kid that the teachers loved, and the other
boys teased. I made straight A's until the 11th grade, where I received
my first B.

The teachers? This was in the days when teaching was one of the most
respected professions in the community, and teachers taught because
they loved it. I had my favorites, but a couple stand out. When I
entered the third grade, I was diagnosed with Bright's Disease - a
frequently terminal illness that made me miss all but 8 weeks of school
that year. My teacher, Mrs. Steis, brought me weekly (sometimes daily)
assignments to the hospital I was in, 25 miles away. That is
dedication, people!

Another one, Mrs. Talley, taught us in the 5th grade and was so fond of
our class that when we went to high school in the 8th grade, she
transferred to the high school and taught Latin. Yep, I took Latin for
two years just because I loved her. That was one of the wisest
decisions I ever made because I wound up working in the medical field
for thirty years, and those two years of Latin were key to my success.
Latin a dead language? Hardly.

Even the worst teacher I ever had (in grade school) taught me well, but
she was MEAN! Instead of making an unruly student stand in the corner,
or be sent to the office, she had a huge paper mache' statue of the
devil that she would pin your name on for the entire day. We
creek-dipped, foot-washed, Bible-Belt Southern Baptists feared for our
very souls throughout that day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 4:39 am

I liked school from kindergarten through second grade. My problems as a student started in 3rd grade and continued, for the most part, throughout my public school education. My teacher in 3rd grade was a Mrs. Seltzer. She seemed to dislike me from the beginning. My older brother had been her pet three years earlier, and she constantly compared me to him. She was an extremely strict teacher who ruled through humiliation and ridicule. She liked my brother, because he had learned, at an early age, that you can get more from women if you charm it out of them. I was never a real discipline problem; I just wouldn't work for any teacher I didn't respect. I was labeled a difficult child and an underachiever.

My favorite teacher was Miss Durham, my 6th grade teacher. She was the first to realize that I didn't do my homework because I didn't need to. After chastising me in private at the beginning of the year, she started to see that my reputation was unfounded. She made me an "assistant." I was usually the first one to finish my classwork, especially my reading assignments, and after I had done so, it was my job to help the students who were struggling. It was then that I first started thinking about becoming a teacher. That notion continued into jr. high and high school, as I grew more and more to believe that it was my purpose, to be a teacher who fostered self-esteem and genuine learning, through acceptance of each student's learning style and strengths.

I loved college from the first moment I walked onto a campus. I finally felt like I was at home somewhere.

Ann study Did you Like School? 925501
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 5:29 am

I tolerated school in grades 1 through 3 in Eau Claire and Mansfield. Not much choice, you had to go.
Hated it in grades 4 and 5 in Cuyahoga Falls.
Loved it in grades 6-8 in Akron because basically it was a warehouse for kids, not a place for learning. Of the 44 kids in my class, 22 lived at the Children's Home.
Detested high school in Cuyahoga Falls. I had wanted to go to Akron East. Quit as soon as I turned 16 after 10th grade.
In grade school my grades were average. In high school they were just good enough to keep from flunking out.

I was never the teacher's pet. In 7th grade I was the most detested. Mrs. Canfield often said, "Dick, someday you'll laugh out of the wrong end of the horn." I'm still not sure what that meant other than that I took nothing seriously.

My 6th grade teacher in Akron was very good. Miss Woodard even managed to make the worst ruffians, and that included most of the boys, take an interest in learning something.

The worst teacher I had was Miss Wolcott, a real witch, in 5th grade. One day she asked the name of the ship that hit an iceberg and sank in 1912. I raised my hand and said, "The Titanic." She called me stupid and said anyone should know it was the Lusitania. I never again tried to answer a question in school. Not once until the day I quit. I'd just shrug my shoulders and say, "Beats me," even when I knew the answer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 6:57 am

I loved, loved, loved school, all of it, even when I went back in my late thirties.

I still love learning. Thinking of the men versus women issue, most of my teachers were women.

I went to big city, or near the city, schools. My high school had 3500 students. My college had 500. I absolutely loved that place. My junior year there was the happiest year of my life. A study on TV the other night spoke of the stress college students feel today. I felt no stress. I loved my classes, my teachers, my friends, my boyfriend. I had little money, only enough to get my laundry done each week plus a few cokes at the college grill or bar in town. That was enough. I had a roof over my head and ate at the college dining hall. My boy friend collected coke bottles, turned them in for the deposit money and took me for pizza now and then.

(I diverted a bit there. Sorry.)

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 8:33 am

Your stories are great! Brew, Your teacher was over the top with the devil deal.

I didn't go to schol until the second grade. Mom taught school 30 miles from home. She drove a carfull of hooligans 30 miles to school, taught Jr High English and Home Ec, then drove us 30 miles home.

She did not like it, but did it for two years. I found out it was no fun to be the teacher's kid.

Fourth grade gave me a teacher who adored me. I could do no wrong. Looking back on her, I see she should have been jailed. She was mean to everyone except me.

The school was small --17 kids maximum. My grades were fine through grade school--then came Hgh school which was a boarding academy of 500 kids, it was a shocker and took some getting used to.

College was a place I had to go to--after two years , I married Dave.

Distance must have been good I went back when I was 36 and graduated.

Last edited by Alice on Thu May 28, 2009 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 11:12 am

I disliked grade school. It disliked me as well. I was a lousy student and did badly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 11:21 am

Lane!

I am so glad to see you back! lol!
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 3:57 pm

I did like school, and I was at a pretty decent one from grades 5-7, where I was involved in a lot of musical stuff. Then my family moved out of the country and when we moved back a year later we lived in a really rough neighbourhood, with an equally tough school. When one of my former teacher's got word of this, he actually called my parents to encourage them to put me on public transit (an hour each way) and send me back to my former school so I did not fall into trouble, and of course could continue along the musical path I had started (this was actually not allowed at the time - you had to attend your neighbourhood school so there was some finessing going on in the background, too). He really did me an enourmous favour, and I give him great thanks all the time for being who he was.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 4:44 pm

Can you find me?

Did you Like School? Balshaws
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Phil
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2009-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Center, third row.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm with the others - right in the middle of the page.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 6:50 pm

All right You were the best looker!

Were you also the best best behaved and smartest kid in the class?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyTue May 26, 2009 10:13 pm

Yes, your face hasn't changed much.
I like the standardized dress code.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 12:56 am

Alice wrote:
All right You were the best looker!

Were you also the best best behaved and smartest kid in the class?
No. I was a nightmare. affraid
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 5:10 am

Top row, center.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 5:23 am

Dick, I know you found me but you didn't have all the picture on the screen at the time!

Did you Like School? Balshaws-1
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 5:46 am

The school:

Did you Like School? School%20front

"Balshaw's C. E. High School is a school with long traditions and a reputation second to none for academic excellence. The original school was founded by a local businessman, Richard Balshaw, in 1782. The present building dates from 1931 with major additions of facilities completed in 1984 and in 2003-05."

The school motto: Non sibi sed allis: Not for oneself but for others.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 6:44 am

LOVE THE MOTTO--NO WONDER YOU RUN A MESSAGE BOARD!
Back to top Go down
Tory Lynn
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Tory Lynn

Number of posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 6:52 am

Kindergarten through second grade was nice. I had some great teachers and it was fun. I really looked forward to going until I reached third grade.

My third grade year was horrible and really effected me the rest of my school career. Mrs. Reese was an older teacher with greasy gray hair with thick glasses. From the first day I met her, she took a dislike to me that confused and hurt me. She singled me out daily for various things and I ended up having to stand in front of the class with my nose in a circle that she drew on the board, for offenses like being last to finish a paper. She deliberately kept a closet in the class dirty with large dirt clots and made me clean the dirt up in front of everyone. She used threats to keep me quiet and was cruel in ways that no kid should have to put up with. The worst was not letting me go to the restroom when I had to go and ended up having accidents in class. I was the laughing stock of the class. I grew up with those kids and most into high school.

I had some great teachers in high school and will never forget the blessings of one teacher in particular. Mrs. Thoelke was the angel who stood strong and helped me through one of the most difficult times I have ever had to go through in my life in my Sr. year. I even ended up living with her family for a short time during a crisis situation for a couple of months and she became someone who advocated for me the rest of my time in school.

Shelagh, your school picture is great. I picked you out out as well. Smile

Vickie
Back to top Go down
http://www.torylynn.webs.com/torylynn
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 7:02 am

I think I was a disappointment to everyone during my K-12 years. A lot of my teachers were wonderful. Others didn't seem to know what they were doing and, without doing anything to get detentions or a visit to the principal's office, I tended to overtly ignore as much of what the bad teachers were trying to force me to do.

My parents, both of who were teachers, were discouraged with my bad teachers--but they thought I should play the game and so my best anyway. I understood their concern, but couldn't get with the program of sucking up to clowns.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 7:10 am

Alice wrote:
LOVE THE MOTTO--NO WONDER YOU RUN A MESSAGE BOARD!
One of my teachers said I would end up as a missionary in Africa!

Vickie,

I had problems in infant school, too. It made me stronger and think it did the same for you. Writing must be difficult for anyone who had a perfect upbringing.

Malcolm,
You should write about it; I'm sure your muse would have a field day! Did you Like School? 925501
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did you Like School?   Did you Like School? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did you Like School?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next