Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Health Care and the Law

Go down 
+5
alj
Dick Stodghill
Carol Troestler
Abe F. March
dkchristi
9 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Health Care and the Law Empty
PostSubject: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySat May 16, 2009 1:58 pm

With all the flack regarding health care, one of the subjects that keep it so expensive is the need for exhorbitant malpractice insurance and the multiple testing of patients so doctors feel secure if something goes wrong.

Yet, very little conversation talks about the high cost of lawyers in the U.S. It is my belief that since many local, state and national political types come from the law profession, it is sacrosant.

This is a sue happy country. In fact, the business says, "sue me" rather than right a wrong. They figure they'll get sued anyway, might as well start with the worst.

The cost of doing business in this country is high because of the legal and legalese issues. Everyone needs a lawyer to interpret the documents.

If the legal profession's role in the high cost of insurance and health care was thoroughly examined, the possibility of lower cost care might become a reality.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySat May 16, 2009 11:09 pm

DK,
Legal issues certainly adds to the high cost of health care. The fight against our system is orchestrated by the AMA and the numerous health care insurance providers. They maintain the high costs and fight to defend it.
There are various examples of good health care programs that are affordable, and where everyone is covered, but they exist in other countries.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 2:55 am

I see the commercials of warning, that we don't want universal health care because in the countries that have it, a patient cannot choose a doctor or there are long waits for appointments, just to name a couple of these concerns. So why can't we creative souls come up with a system that has few of those flaws? If we are going to create a new health care system, then why would we copy someone else's? Why not come up with something that others would want to copy? They certainly are not clamoring to copy what we have now.

I have been pleased at how much I like Medicare. We have had tens of thousands of dollars of medical treatment in the past year, and most has been paid with the help of supplemental insurance from my husband's previous labor union. I changed my doctor, because with the first one I would be dead now. I have had to wait for appointments, but in emergencies help was there immediately. But I also see the difference between what is billed and what the medical professionals get with adjustments for Medicare. My husband's surgery was $20,000, but with Medicare adjustments, the hospital and physician got half of that. We did not pay the difference, but the hospital adjusted the bill because of their contract with Medicare.

I remember when medical insurance was only for emergencies or hospital care. And with my husband's insurance we had to pay for doctor visits, tests and even all medical expenses when our babies were born. But they were affordable and we would save for these expenses we knew would be there and paid as we went.

The best book I have ever read on the subject is Who Shall Live by Fuchs. In it, he points out that our medical system is deciding who shall live and that is wrong.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 5:21 am

Good post, DK, and good responses. Putting a realistic cap on damages and a firm limit on what percentage lawyers can take might help.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:37 am

Carol,
where "people say" you can't choose your own physician, you would need to find out what country they're talking about. I can go to any physician in Germany - my choice. I have 100% coverage - no deductions. There are systems that work in other countries but they don't conform to the politically inspired wishes of the existing entrenched associations in America.
As for legal matters, Dick is right. A cap would certainly reduce premiums. When I saw the commercials of law firms when I last visited the States, it was appalling. What they implied was they had a method to extort money from the insurance companies.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 7:53 am

I was married to an insurance agent for 14 years. I can attest to DK's statement that malpractice cases are a big part of the cost of medical insurance. My husband and his associates discussed it frequently. The mark-up on drugs is another, as is the higher cost of medical supplies and equipment.

When I was a child, our family doctor still made house calls. We live in a different world now. Medical care is too complex for a family doctor to handle. Like Carol, I am pleased with Medicare. I was not pleased with the HMO that was my available option while I was teaching. I heard someone say that HMO's were fine for people who had no other options, but private medical insurance was the best choice for those who could afford it.

Last week, my ex had back surgery. According to my children, he paid extra for a private suite in the hospital with a sitting room and catered gourmet meals.

I bit back my tongue and didn't say so, but my feeling is that there is something very wrong here.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 9:16 am

Ann, what did you feel was wrong? That he was able to upgrade to a better room and meals?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 9:33 am

LC wrote:
Ann, what did you feel was wrong? That he was able to upgrade to a better room and meals?

LC,
That's not an easy question to answer. For one thing, you have isolated my last statement from the rest of the post. That takes it out of context.

I feel there is something wrong with our health insurance system as a whole, and that it seems to be OK that people who can afford it ought to get better care. There are too many people who have no health care, many who are currently getting mediocre health care through the current HMO systems, and a few, apparently including the guys who sell the policies, who get perks.

The description I got of that suite included mahogany paneled walls and high end furnishings, as well as extra care and attention. And, as I said, it was a feeling, not a conviction.

I've answered you question as straightforwardly as I could. I am assuming it was a straightforward question.

Ann
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 9:37 am

I thought when you said there was something wrong, you were referring to his room upgrade.

I agree there's something wrong with the fact that medical costs drive some into bankruptcy and that they don't have proper care because they can't afford it. That said, I see nothing wrong with premium care (e.g., fancy suites) for those who can afford it. No different from housing, school, food, and everything else.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 9:57 am

Abe,

Those commercials really make me angry. I know what you are saying. And even if I am satisfied, I empathize with those who are not, are not getting the care they need.

Wisconsin has a good system that covers every family. My carpenter son who has a wife with a chronic illness and an autistic son, is covered by this insurance called Badger Care, He pays according to his means. This was put into place by past Governor Thompson. When he was health and human services secretary he would have loved to see a similar system nationwide, but others in the administration felt otherwise. It is a drain on the state budget, but every child should be covered. However parents often need assistance with application for this program. This is similar to Medicare except there is no need for supplemental insurance and I don't think there are co-pays.

There has been fraud and corruption, while children go without care and people die who cannot pay. The wonderful drug plan for seniors is so complicated with a middle level where no one gets any funds. Our insurance for prescriptions dropped us when this plan was put into place, and our insurance paid much better. That was not supposed to happen but "we cannot control drug or insurance companies." But we can let people die.

Wisconsin has also put in place a system to buy drugs in bulk from Canada for state employees at a cheaper price than they could here. This is criticized but it helps pay for the medical coverage for all the families that couldn't get coverage otherwise.

Okay, now that I've said all that I feel better, maybe.

Carol
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:19 am

LC wrote:
I see nothing wrong with premium care (e.g., fancy suites) for those who can afford it. No different from housing, school, food, and everything else.

I think I do. Medical costs are so high, from the cost of life-saving technology and equipment to adequate nursing care to qualified doctors, that it seems wrong that money and attention might be diverted to specvial treatment for a few. And I have questions about the high costs of those medical policies if the people who sell them are making such high profits that they can afford the luxuries.

But I didn't intend starting another dead-end debate. It misses the whole point of my original post.

Ann
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:24 am

Quote :
it seems wrong that money and attention might be diverted to specvial treatment for a few.

It isn't being diverted, though. It's extra provided to those who pay full fare. It isn't taking away anything from anyone else, and in fact, is probably subsidizing other services to those who don't/can't pay.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:29 am

Quote :
But I didn't intend starting another dead-end debate. It misses the whole point of my original post.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:31 am

What was the point? lol Everything here wanders. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:34 am

Blame the rotten moderator. She's hopeless.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:47 am

I think the point was that her ex-husband sells insurance and can afford the extravagant treatment while others are suffering with neither affordable insurance nor health care, that he is living high off of those who can afford the high prices.

Again we're decided who shall live.

Carol
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 10:50 am

I don't see a connection between his job/ability to pay and those without. He didn't take anything from them and isn't living off anything except his own abilities.
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 1:28 pm

I wonder if the "fancy" room took up the space of two "regular" rooms. If so, that would mean that someone was being denied care because there was no space available.

The hospital in my city is revamping everything and making all of their rooms private rooms. As a patient, I think the idea is fabulous as I've spent many hours in this particular hospital and have had many roommates who kept me awake all night (not intentionally, they were in pain and couldn't help it). I would have gotten better rest if the room had been quiet. On the other hand, the number of beds will be reduced, so they may be "full" the next time (hopefully there won't be a next time any time soon!) I need care.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 2:46 pm

I assume the hospitals match the number of rooms to their staffing levels. More rooms doesn't mean anything if there's no capability to serve them.

And actually, most private hospitals do have special rooms for VIP guests, people who pay a lot more than the average patient. They're designed that way from the outset.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 3:34 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Blame the rotten moderator. She's hopeless.

I always do.
Health Care and the Law 472940
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptySun May 17, 2009 3:36 pm

I know you do. Health Care and the Law 545232
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 9:34 pm

8/11/2009

Hi Everyone..

I remember as a 8 year old kid in 1956 the
doctor came to the house in those days and guess what
he charged a big $10.00 , that was in Brooklyn, NY.

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Health Care and the Law   Health Care and the Law Empty

Back to top Go down

Health Care and the Law
Page 1 of 1