Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Current Book trailers a dissection.

Go down 
+11
lin
dkchristi
W. Lane Rogers
LC
Betty Fasig
RunsWithScissors
E. Don Harpe
Brenda Hill
Shelagh
Jenny
dmondeo
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Afinerosesheis
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Message deleted by poster

Last edited by Afinerosesheis on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Nep)
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 9:33 pm

lovesamy wrote:
I think I may be glad that I didn't join this forum officially. I would hate to worry that I might continually offend certain folks here as I am from the Northern United States, born and raised. Sad

Whether you join or not is your choice, but if you do, I would hope that you continue to be respectful of other people. We all have choices to make, here, and in life. People can be rude and shove their way to the head of the lines, cut in front of other traffic, or post messages without regard to someone's feelings.

Our society has lost many of its former courtesies and manners. On a writers' forum, where we become online friends, most of us try to be helpful and encourage each other. We don't always agree, but most of us try not to offend others.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Brenda,
good post. Mel expressed her feelings about the decision she made. It is healthy to debate issues and it can be done without taking a personal swipe at the other person. Sometimes people will lash out in frustration as a cover up when they have nothing worthwhile to say.
Back to top Go down
Phil

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Don, I probably understand more than you think. I'm from Missouri. My grandfather was from Greenbrier County, West Virginia near the Irish Corners area. I have a number of ancestors who were with Edgar's Battalion.

Phil, Not-From-the-North-or-South, Dolan
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 1:00 am

Cut it out, Don. Stick to humour; it's what you are best at. Very Happy (smilie added in case you don't understand my Englishness).

You and Brenda are the two rudest members of this board and you both think you can say anything you like and bully everyone else into being nice. I rule here. Not you and certainly not Brenda. I will remove you both from the board before I will allow you to take it over. That's a warning.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 5:34 am

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenWARNING!! POSSIBLE MIS-INTERPRETATION WAR ZONE!Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

As I started this thread Please allow me to finish it.

1. I am indeed British and I'm happy to be so. Yes there is a difference between the way we limies communicate and the way other fine nations communicate (No I will not state EXACTLY which nations are fine, so please do not get offended. )
2. I am in a way self appointed, yes I appointed myself to set about finding out what would and would not be good for my own published work!!
However wrongly I set about it, I just wanted to let you know my findings.
3. I am not an expert in publishing, writing or networking and I am not implying I am an expert in anything at all.
4. Unless you're psychic there is no way anyone would know the attitude I have while writing this. Laughing I could be sitting at my PC dressed as a Nun throwing darts at various pictures of forum members and you would never know!geek But I'm not that way inclined. REALLY! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
5. I am new to this site and in my first big efforts at dancing in this forum I have stepped on a few toes I am indeed sorry. I am after all a lousy dancer What a Face
6. I have learned and I am learning how frail the artistic temperment really is. In my life I have rubbed shoulders with Musicians, Actors, Magicians and Dancers. All of whom have fragile temperments, this goes with the talent it seems.

All in all you now know what to expect from me and I you.
Please forgive my mistakes and don't take it all so personally.
I have to go now as this nuns habit is chaffing my personel areas and I've just dropped a dart on my foot.affraid
Back to top Go down
Afinerosesheis
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 8:26 am

Shelagh wrote:
Cut it out, Don. Stick to humour; it's what you are best at. Very Happy (smilie added in case you don't understand my Englishness).

You and Brenda are the two rudest members of this board and you both think you can say anything you like and bully everyone else into being nice. I rule here. Not you and certainly not Brenda. I will remove you both from the board before I will allow you to take it over. That's a warning.

Ouch! Ouch! No apple for the teacher today.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 8:59 am

Shelagh wrote:

You're really on that "I RULE HERE" power trip huh Shelagh. Tell ya what, since you rule and I'm so damn rude, why not stop with the threats and just go ahead and "remove" me. And you know where you can put your "warning."

And you might want to let me decide what I'm good at, because you don't have a clue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 10:28 am

Thank you, Don, for taking the time to post your support. I’m sorry the moderator chose to chastise you as well.

Abe, thank you for your post.

And Merri. You were able to see past the bickering to understand what caused the friction. Thank you for taking the time to post a better way.

We all want success as writers. As Don said, no one can see facial expressions or gestures as a clue to our intent. Therefore, we must communicate with our words. Sometimes we accomplish that, other times we fail.

As writers, we must always be aware of the power of words.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 11:19 am

... and sometimes we must be gracious enough to say thank you for an apology, especially when someone apologies twice when they didn't even need to apologise once.
Back to top Go down
Jane Sim

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 11:26 am

As an outsider to all this bickering it is easy to see how much vanity seeps from wounded ego's.

I write short stories for magazines in the UK so I frequent a lot of sites like this to network with like minded people. This site is now off my list.
There are so many character types I recognise from my own stories on this site.
The self appointed queen bee who must lord it over everyone else and have the last word.
Her fear dominated support group who rally round with fake compliments and echo the queens commands. These poor souls are scared to cross her.
This woman is guilty herself of the very things she has accused that man of doing.
I would rather have an honest criticism from someone who would tell it like it is than recieve the fake praises I read from these folk.
It is so nice of the real queen bee to allow this to carry on if it were up to me well Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 514350 I'll say no more.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 11:41 am

Jane Sim wrote:

I write short stories for magazines in the UK so I frequent a lot of sites like this to network with like minded people. This site is now off my list

A lurker announces she'll no longer read the site. I'm sure everyone's crushed.
Back to top Go down
lovesamy

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks for the reply and kind words, Afinerosesheis. As I have stated elsewhere I am a bit busy to keep up with posting on a regular basis, but I do continue to read and will do so until I have more free time to post more often. Perhaps I will just wait until October and let Dick charm me into joining officially when I meet him in Indy. Wink

Ms. Hill, I am certainly glad that you agree with me that no one can see our facial expressions or gestures as a clue to the intent behind our typed words. For example, your reply to me seems to imply that I may have been disrespectful of or tried to offend others in my posts here or perhaps will do so in future posts. However I know that I have not nor would I ever as I believe in treating others the way I expect to be treated, so I could not in all honesty misinterpret your post to me regardless of the tone that came across when I read it.

I have read many of the publically visible posts here and have come to know (as much as one can on a message board) many of the regulars here. I have nothing but good wishes for everyone in their quest for publication, and the posts I made at Dick's invitation re Bouchercon were posted in hopes that others here may benefit from my experience.

It's a tough road to publication and I have made many friends along the way, not so many that I could not fit in a few more. Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 964195 Besides, the smilies here are pretty neat.
Back to top Go down
Jane Sim

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:08 pm

A lurker announces she'll no longer read the site. I'm sure everyone's crushed.

Well no one thought you would be crushed but who gives a hoot If you are any way. As for the lurker remark I'm more an observer than a lurker.
I notice from your profile LC that you like hiding!! No one can see who you really are that makes you more of a lurker in my books somewhat cowardly!!
Perhaps I'll sign up after all and smoke you out!!Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:36 pm

By the time someone reaches my age they should understand people. I don't. So much fuss over nothing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Dick, You're the tops ...

Jane, I would be slightly crushed if you disappeared. Please join; you would be most welcome. I, too, would like to know who LC is and know more about her books.
Back to top Go down
lovesamy

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Oh Dick, you're not giving me much hope for the future! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:44 pm

Look at it this way, lovesamystery, you may not learn to understand people, but you will recognise a fuss about nothing when you see one! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 2:45 pm

I understand Dick.

Carol Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
lovesamy

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Better still Shelagh - use the experiences as future book fodder ... Wink

I may have to look you up next time I am across the pond! Smile
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 3:14 pm

I'll look forward to it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Back on the subject of trailers.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 3:19 am

I really believe book trailers can be a very useful for promoting my writing!

If I ensure they contain the right content, entertain viewers and plug my book in a way that will arouse their curiosity, it could work.
Now I do realise that what works for me when I see a trailer may not work for someone else. This is the big challenge when it comes to advertising I imagine. Finding a formula that would appeal to the majority must be the key.
Then posting the trailer where the majority have a chance to find it. In my case I would not place it in a category with other book trailers on a site. For the most part people who frequent sites like youtube are after entertainment they are not usually looking for advertising.

As this is my first book I want to make a big noise about it. I'm unknown so getting enough attention to aquire a few sales is a challenge. But if I were to make a trailer that entertained enough to be worth watching for it's own sake and sneeky sneeky plugs my book!! I think that would work. But it has to be good enough to get in the 'viral' status to have any chance of being seen enough to get good ratings on youtube. In theory once that is achieved you have a good chance of aquiring a few book sales from it.

That's how I see it anyway I may be wrong but I'll have fun finding out.
Happy easter everyone.sunny
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 7:18 am

... videos similar to Abdul's, you mean? Check out Lin's video for Imaginary Lines -- it won a New Covey Best Trailer Award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s8mo-6aMZg

P. Gordon Kennedy produces interesting trailers using Lego:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wutwo3FUIxY&feature=channel_page
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 8:41 am

Those are good examples Shelagh. If a video wins awards that's even better it gets your name and your book title more attention.
It is certainly stirring my creativity Very Happy.
Thank You.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks for the Easter wishes! Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 Easter3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Current Book trailers a dissection.   Current Book trailers a dissection. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Current Book trailers a dissection.
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next