Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Who refers to your work?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Who refers to your work? Empty
PostSubject: Who refers to your work?   Who refers to your work? EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 10:32 pm

First question that somebody asks, "Well if you're that good, why is nobody referring to you and your work?"

The first link on this Question & Answers from Yahoo! is my Planetary Positions algorithm:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Arm5eHFO1GHm6naDBu4eDGnsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090318121540AABibnT
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Who refers to your work?   Who refers to your work? EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 2:21 am

I think Wikipedia requires references of your work cited, Abdul, not references to work you have cited.

When I was research student, my fellow researchers used to spend hours in the reference section of the library looking to see if their papers had been cited in other journals. It is the citing that gives the work credibility.

Wikipedia may seem to be inflexible over what they will and will not allow onto their site. If they allowed information that was subjective (unproven) rather than objective (scientifically proven) then a precedent would be set for anyone to add anything regardless of its merit.

Occasionally and regretfully, this means that pages are deleted that contain useful scientific information that would be of benefit to their readers.

It's just the way it is.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Who refers to your work?   Who refers to your work? EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 3:27 am

This isn't about Wikipedia, Shelagh. Yes of course Wikipedians have to follow that strict policy, otherwise anyone can add anything in there and claim it as 'fact' as you rightly point out.

With this post, I was merely trying to say that some random user in the Yahoo! answers forum had picked up my article to answer that other poster about orbital calculations.

And incidentally, if you care to note, that was voted the 'best answer'. And if you care to note even further, it was the preferred answer above a couple of other answers with things quoted out of Wikipedia.

Interesting! Very Happy Who refers to your work? 798629
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: Who refers to your work?   Who refers to your work? EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 4:53 am

... and very reassuring. Well done! Who refers to your work? 613632
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Who refers to your work?   Who refers to your work? EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Bravo!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Who refers to your work?   Who refers to your work? EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 2:35 pm

Sometimes, I amaze myself when I look back and think that I wrote those planetary positions algorithms when I was just 15!

Who refers to your work? Heliocentric

Now, I am a very dumb person compared to the sharpness I had as a teenager!
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241

PostSubject: Re: Who refers to your work?   Who refers to your work? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 9:30 am

The best way to track online references is to set up a Google Alert in your name and for your URL. Then you will know when someone "quotes" or mentions you. I have not found a way to track deeplinks across the web yet, other then examining Yahoo Site Search results for one's URL.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who refers to your work?   Who refers to your work? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who refers to your work?
Page 1 of 1