Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE

Go down 
+4
dmondeo
dkchristi
alice
joefrank
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE Empty
PostSubject: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyWed May 18, 2011 4:59 pm

5/18/2011

Here's a site that show's how America's over 50 can't find work
and how the un-employment is getting worse..Check it out..

http://www.overfiftyandoutofwork.com/

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:46 pm

It is very sad!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:55 pm

I don't need to go to the site. I know the facts and they ain't pretty. That's why in some previous posts I tried to make it clear that the unemployed are not lazy and lacking in skills. Some, of course. But in this economy, competent, hard working people are facing terrible times.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:59 pm

5/19/2011

It's as if this country is sinking down the toilet ! I don't ever
remember the un-employment being this bad, 14 Million out of
work and only 5 Million collecting, it's a situation that no one
wants to straighten out.....

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 6:51 am

Joe I am living it now!
Still out of work despite sending applications.
It is so depressing.
I just have to keep my mind occupied otherwise I would go mad with worry! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 7:26 am

5/19/2011

David..

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!
You will get good news, keep up the good work..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 8:04 am

There are two issues here as I see it. One is nation-wide unemployment and the second is the age factor. Regardless of what is written and often claimed that there is no discrimination for age, creed, color, etc., it exists. When someone reaches a certain age, like 50, they are no longer desirable. And with candidates for a job, the young, can be hired for less and the costs for benefits, i.e., health insurance cost less. It is not permitted to use age on an application, however when one lists the dates of schooling, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the approximate age of the applicant.

Ironically, the older people with experience are more reliable than the young. And with their experience, they have more to contribute. It boils down to money.

As a lark, when I was unemployed and in my 60's, I sent an application via email to the USAF to re-enlist. My wife said when they got the application they would probably be rolling on the floor laughing. I don't think that was the case. Date of Birth would automatically decline my application, and it did. The military has restrictions on age, and yet someone who has remained in the service can stay there until they retire. Some even extend their retirement in order to have a greater pension. Are they unfit? Physically, many are. A candidate for PresidentIf can be elected in his 70's. Is he fit to handle the stress of such a job? To say we don't discriminate sounds good, but the reality is otherwise.

Our economy thrives on people spending money. Unemployed people can't spend, and that means manufacturers can't sell the goods they produce, and that results in layoffs. It's a vicious cycle. To stimulate our economy means putting people back to work. Giving unemployment benefits places money in the hands of consumers. Cut benefits and there is less to spend. Doesn't take an economics degree to figure all this out.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:22 am

5/19/2011

Abe..... OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE 973110

Great post ! I remember a few years ago I put in for
another job before I retired , After awhile the person told me I
was over qualified, which means " Your too old !" It's another
way of getting around it. In this country age discrimination is
rampant and yet theirs no way to prove it was done to you.
I believe people 45 and up are more dependable to work and they
don't take days off unless it's a health problem, I've seen young
people where I used to work get away with murder......If they didn't
feel like coming in they just called, I was in a management position
and if I did that they would call me on the cuff as they say..

Cheers..Joe... OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE 925501
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:36 am

It is unfortunate.

David,

You must start your own business. Entertainment! You will end up wealthy.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 9:58 am

5/19/2011

David..

How's about creating a children's show based
on your book's character, products based on it ?

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Russel Crowe's father went through this same thing. Once, during a job interview, he was told her was overqualified, and Mr. Crowe responded, "What is it you want me to forget?" His son wrote a song about it. the lyrics are pretty relevant to this discussion:

http://thoroughlyrussellcrowe.com/onthisdayin/feb/feb15.html

Quote :
Russell Crowe, and The Ordinary Fear of God

What You Want Me To Forget?

Now too many times I been in this place
My suit jacket's on
I gotta smile all over my face
Waiting at the table
Not placing no bets
Man says you're overqualified
I said yeah

What you want me to forget?

Now, Now, Now woman drive me crazy questioning my deeds
Even though I'm doing what they want fulfilling all their needs
She knows too well boy like you own the whole set
I said yeah honey sugar baby really?

Well I know what I know
My life goes by and I learn as I go
I know what I've seen
What I've left
That's where I've been

What you want me to forget

Yeah yeah yeah yeah

Our politician's up there squawking givin' me the news
He says he's gonna' get this country back on track real soon
And he asked me directly
"Boy, will you vote for me next?"
I said "Man I voted for you last time, nothing changed in my life"

(repeats)

Yeah yeah yeah yeah
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/russell crowe 30 odd foot of grunts/what you want me to forget_20474687.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Reality is reality. When I was responsible for hiring in a position I previously held, I was also responsible for writing a task manual that so clearly outlined each job that no experience was required to become immediately competent. It felt impossible at first; but with the help of staff members, it was completed and worked.

I hired the most minimally qualified at the lowest possible incoming wage and they were immediately productive. The moment they stopped producing, they were given 30 days to improve or face termination. A new person readily filled their shoes and picked up where they left off. The jobs were always filled with new employees at the bottom of the wage scale and didn't work long enough to take advantage of benefits. The company owner kept personnel costs low and profits high. However, it made my job very difficult.

By the way, that has also been the hiriing practice for many child protection agencies and there should be no surprise at the results.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Yes I've been told I'm over qualified before.
I got the feeling that they feared people with too many qualifications, they see them as a threat. I was told that with qualifications like mine I would not have any problems finding a job. So they would'nt hire me.

Thank you all for your input you always cheer me up.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 12:58 pm

5/19/2011

David..

Keep the faith , the over 50 crowd is the majority !

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 1:01 pm

A person is seldom "over-qualified." When the hiring person says you are over-qualified they mean your experience demands a salary higher than they wish to pay, your qualifications may allow you to feel arrogant in a lesser job; you are old and your ideas will be set and inflexible; your skills outdated; your ability to be flexible minimal. Sometimes it means you don't have the youthful look they want to impress customers or you are the wrong race or gender. There is no such thing as "over-qualified."
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Overqualified. I agree that it most often means, you would require a higher rate of pay.
I got past that by lying on my application - down-playing my experience/qualifications so I could get the job. That was tough to do since most often one wants to embellish qualifications. Knowing what the employer wants helps. Learning something about the supervisor is also important. If he/she feels threatened by you, you won't get the job.

If you are determined to get a job at a specific company, learn as much as you can about the company. Try to find out where the employees go after work. Join them for a drink and ask questions. Hear what they say about the company and their bosses. Find out if they know about the open position and what kind of person they are looking for. Become that person.

Do whatever it takes. Shove the ego. Once you get your foot in the door, you can then strut your stuff and move up the ladder, if that is your ambition.

Be creative, do what ever it takes.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyFri May 20, 2011 4:20 am

I've lost my job search creativity.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyFri May 20, 2011 7:52 am

I have three job-search stories:

In the 1960s, I applied at IBM and took their standard computer programmer's aptitude test. The examiner said the grading form had only 2 digits for the test score, but I had scored 100. I asked what he usually did about that. He said it had never happened. Then the next guy told me IBM could not hire me because I had no degree.

After several years of being retired, I sent resumes to jobs on craigslist. I got one phone call. The caller asked a series of interview questions. They sounded familiar. He said he got them from a magazine article. I told him that I had written the article. He said I'd hear back. I never heard back. No doubt age was a factor.

Disney had auditions for a hotel lounge piano player. They wanted old standards and tunes from Disney movies. Up my alley. I auditioned. They said they enjoyed my music. They made requests, all of which I knew. It was easy. Then the guy said, that was great but don't be disappointed if you don't hear from us. I have since learned that Disney's union contract requires them to conduct auditions, even when they have the positions wired for someone.

I can't get arrested.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyFri May 20, 2011 5:20 pm

I think an enterprising outfit should be headhunters that specialize in finding companies and public entities who prefer older, experience workers but at a decent salary. There is a program for 55 plus workers; but most of the jobs are minimum wage and in agencies looking for nearly free help (I know; I hired two workers from that program).

I would gladly pay my first month's salary to a head hunter who found me the right job. However, I've had calls form those who want $1000 up front - no way! In fact, the best is when the employer pays the fee - but I'll take a position and gladly pay for being placed, once I have the income.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyFri May 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Relax, if you don't need the job, you are more likely to land the job.
Sad, but true.

I loved it when I was turned down for disability and told to just get another job when I said I could not get to the job I had and was falling on the streets.

Job hunting is the most stressful thing I can think of.
Now, it has to be even worse.

The kids coming out of college, deeply in debt need jobs. Everyone needs a job and the jobs are overseas.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Being out of work can be devastating. It is not just a lack of income, but often one begins to question their own abilities. They can be made to feel worthless, especially when rejected. We talk much about rejections letters from publishers. It is worse when it comes from a prospective employer where you know you could do the job and aren't given the chance. Self-doubt can be carried with you when you are fortunate to get an nterview.

I think Diane has a good idea about an agency specifically for older people. It may get a boost with some PR or the right reporter who sees a story in it.
The merits of hiring older people needs promotion.

This may be a good project to share ideas on how to get the promotion started. Although I'm out of the employment game, I am very sensitive about the plight. I was once in that situation and the rules of the game haven't changed. Change is needed.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptySat May 21, 2011 8:09 am

Also another useless tip: It is easier to land a job if you have a job.
Why is life so unfair?

I returned to a job from hades in order to land a decent job.
Think before you take a job--can you stand the job?

Sometimes no job is better than what you get.

Last edited by alice on Sat May 21, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptySat May 21, 2011 9:06 am

5/21/2011

Abe..

Maybe we can get the BBC's attention to do an
article on it , " New Employment Agency For
Seniors."

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptySat May 21, 2011 9:17 am

NBC and CNN also!
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE EmptySat May 21, 2011 9:35 am

Quote :
Also another useless tip: It is easier to land a job if you have a job.
Why is life so unfair?

I returned to a job from hades in order to land a decent job.
Think before you take a job--can you stand the job?

Sometimes no job is better than what you get.

Alice, with all due respect, you speak from the perspective of someone who is supported. Yes, I know you worked to help send your kids to college, but you didn't have to work for that plus living expenses. Would your husband agree that "no job is better than a bad job" if he were unemployed for a long time? Assuming, of course, he wasn't a trust fund baby or something.

I've had less than desirable jobs, but never a "job from hades." I don't know what that means. If it pays my bills, it isn't from hades. A lot of people overestimate their own worth and are the employees from hades. I consider the "Dilbert" character to be one of them.

I also don't think it's unfair to prefer selecting your applicant pool from the already employed. Everyone has a bar for their personal and professional relationships, and it's not my place to tell them where to place that bar. Their own market worth will help decide that. Your chances are better -not 100%, but better- that the already employed will have the characteristics you want.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE   OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE Empty

Back to top Go down

OVER 50 AND OUT OF WORK- A MUST SEE SITE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next