Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Visit from Murphy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Visit from Murphy Empty
PostSubject: Visit from Murphy   Visit from Murphy EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:07 am

I had a visit from Murphy.  He didn’t stop by to just say, hello, but camped out for a few days.
In the past two weeks I had one problem after another, starting with my PC.  I purchased and downloaded a new virus program.  I purchased and downloaded a program from WinZip that was supposed to optimize my system.  Unfortunately after the optimization, I couldn't do anything.  They updated the drivers and the new drivers wouldn’t work on my PC. 
I’m rather pissed at Microsoft.  They come out with programs with built-in longevity after which they no longer support the program requiring one to upgrade.  I’m still using XP and haven’t upgraded to Windows 7.  I’m told by the PC experts that XP is still good provided you have a good virus program.  Trying to optimize a system with drivers for another operating system doesn’t work.

During this process I wondered how nice it would be if I could just delete the problems I have.  After thinking about it I realized that I have that delete capability.  I listed my problems and decided to remove from my mind and not worry about what I couldn’t change or control.  What I could do something about, I took action.  That mental process was helpful.  I kicked Murphy out of my house.

I’m finally back on line and will try to catch-up on what I may have missed.  I may have escaped questions about current political problems and kept my opinions to myself, especially concerning the M.E. 

For those who sent me emails expressing their concern, be advised that I am physically okay and that my mental attitude is improving.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Visit from Murphy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Murphy   Visit from Murphy EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:44 am

That's the spirit, Abe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Visit from Murphy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Murphy   Visit from Murphy EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 am

Not to recommend a book - and it's pricey for a 2004 trade paperback - but maybe used ones are available - I'll look at Amazon.com ...

Anyway I heard a speaker recently who said to change the words you use and change your life. That includes the conversations in our own head. I know it sound simplistic - the best changes are the simple ones. 

Here's an example.  My head hurts. It hurts quite badly and I don't have the right pills to relieve the hurt without over-medicating.  It still hurts.  Gee, my head hurts.  I wish it would stop hurting.  My eyes hurt too.  I can't go anywhere because it hurts too much.

Changing the words.  I think I will go to the pharmacy and purchase a medicine to regain my positive outlook on the day and remove this nuisance headache.  The redbird is in the feeder.  How beautiful they are!

Another example:

That XXX who just cut in.  Can't anyone drive right anymore?  It's a danger to get in the car and drive to the store.

New conversation.  Wow, it's fortunate that driver got back into the line.  It was a tight squeeze.  With all this traffic, it's amazing so many good drivers keep our streets quite safe.

It's a matter of habit.

I'm as guilty as the next person. 

Abe turned around his "Murphy" situation - and not the change in the words. 

The writer of the book says to change our conversations with ourself every minute of every day and the words we use with others.  It needs to be conscious until it becomes habit.

His name is Chalmers Brothers.  He's a local but has a good message.

"Language and the Pursuit of Happiness."  Even used copies are almost $10.  Kindle is $9.99

It's a lot about half full half empty but a little different approach.  He emphasizes the words we use for everything.

War on poverty
Improve opportunities for low income individuals
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Visit from Murphy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Murphy   Visit from Murphy EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 1:56 pm

If Murphy decides to give me a visit, please tell him I'm out, Abe, and say how sorry I am to have missed him.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Visit from Murphy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Murphy   Visit from Murphy EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Abe,

Unfortunately Microsoft is like Democracy…It has its flaws, but there is nothing better available at this time.

When I was in the service, we always felt Murphy was looking over our shoulder.  
One saying was:  If the plan is working perfectly, you're walking into an ambush!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Visit from Murphy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Murphy   Visit from Murphy EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 7:04 am

Shelagh, I wouldn't send Murphy to a friend.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Visit from Murphy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Murphy   Visit from Murphy EmptySat Jul 19, 2014 11:36 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

Visit from Murphy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Visit from Murphy   Visit from Murphy Empty

Back to top Go down

Visit from Murphy
Page 1 of 1