Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines   Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 6:47 am

The Spotlight Magazines are growing!  My reporting work that started with one article is now averaging four to six articles per edition.  The magazine that started a couple years ago as a monthly has grown to two editions, one for Naples and Bonita Springs and a second for Estero.  In the winter, each edition is published twice a month.

Who said newspapers were on a downslide?  Not local publications with quality articles.  Spotlight Magazines have 35000 circulation and growing with over 125 rack locations.

It has certainly drawn me away from my novel writing to short, factual pieces that bring immediate responses, monetarily and from readers.  I truly enjoy it.  My first career choice was television anchor, my second was writing for news media. So, here I am full circle (minus television!)

Many of the articles are local, but some have broader interest.  You are invited to read them if you have a bit of time.  Your comments are always welcome.

I find the best read is the page read - there are several choices for the online versions.  I particularly recommend the story on p. 34 of the Southwest Spotlight about paper as art and fashion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines   Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 8:11 am

Congratulations, DK.  The Spotlight looks like an interesting magazine.  It must be gratifying to be part of it.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines   Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 8:18 am

Shifting directions is often a good thing - a sign of positive growth. Your articles must be satisfying to you, knowing you are reaching people and helping to make the changes that are so badly needed today. I wouldn't worry about the novels. Maybe one day the work you are doing today will feed you some new ideas for plots and characters - or not. It soulnd like you are doing what you need to be doing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines   Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks for the kind words.  I still do too much sitting - although I do get out and about collecting news.  And the people I meet!  Some are so thrilled that I am writing a story to help promote their business.  Others act like I'm the lowest thing on Planet Earth and they are doing me the favor of talking to me at all.  It's not like I'm going to report anything bad!  We are a "good news" paper.  The owner does provide editorial and local news that may have a controversial element, but he presents all views to the nth degree rather than emphasizing the quarrels, etc. in city hall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines   Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Dear Diane,
How beautiful it is for a paper to present all views.  So many are bought by special interests.  I am so very proud of you for your courage in speaking out and not letting the lies stand as truth.  Not just in politics, but showing the readers the beauty of the place in which they live, the special and fragile nature of the place in which they are lucky and rich enough to reside. 

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines   Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines Empty

Back to top Go down

Quick reads - Spotlight Magazines
Page 1 of 1