Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Government controlled or privatization

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Government controlled or privatization Empty
PostSubject: Government controlled or privatization   Government controlled or privatization EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 am

Privatization –vs. - Government operated or controlled.

We hear that when the government is involved, services suffer. In my opinion, that is not a valid statement.

Privatization of the postal service, the railroads and other public services has not improved due to the emphasis on profit.

Germany followed the American trend of privatization and service is suffering. Two examples are the postal service and the railroad. Since privatization, postal service has declined. The railroads are no longer dependable. Privatization caused the loss of many jobs and the government had to pay for the many unemployed.

Government employees had job security and excellent benefits. They could afford to buy a home and other products as they were credit worthy with job security. The money spent by government workers helped the economy and the workers paid taxes. With privatization, the economy suffered and the service to the public has suffered as well. Power service companies, (electricity gas and oil) can raise prices as they see fit. With government control, price increases must be justified and approved. Because CEO’s compensation packages are profit-based and stockholders want dividends, price increases and downsizing place more people on unemployment and welfare.

Healthcare controlled by the government means that everyone has access to affordable healthcare. Another important benefit is that healthy people can work.

We have seen what happens when financial institutions are not controlled. Manipulation for profit (uncontrolled greed) affects everyone.

If you ask people what they want out of life, many will say, “I want to be happy.” What is happiness? What conditions must be present to make one happy?

I talked with a person last night that said I am happy. I love my husband; we have a home and a job. I don’t need anything more.” For others, if you ask them what they desire, they may say, “I want to be rich.” What is rich? Money, personal possessions or what? Is it prestige? What is the most important condition to make one happy?

Being contented with what one has may create happiness. For another, it may be good health. For some it may be having a good spouse. There is no universal thing that causes happiness. In many cases, having a roof over your head and food to eat may be the ultimate in happiness for those who have struggled to survive and endured hardship. The environment in which we live contributes to the things that can make us happy. When we see the ultra-rich with more money than they could possible spend in a lifetime, and then witness the poor who must struggle to survive, something is out of balance. What can bring it into balance? Do we leave it to chance and expect a free market economy to make it happen? What is the purpose of government? Should not the government represent all the people and establish controls to insure the safety of the citizenry with an environment that is fair thus giving everyone a chance to live a life of their own choosing?

Now that I have vented, I feel better.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Government controlled or privatization   Government controlled or privatization EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 am

The issue is one of control - either control by unregulated private industry so they perpetuate the extremely wealthy - or control by government that tend to take from the rich and distribute to the poor.

In either extreme there are injustices. Why should I work to become the wealthiest in the world if only to support a government that pays the expenses of the slothful?

As a low income worker, whey should I try harder when it's impossible since entre into the realm of the super rich requires the entry ticket of wealth to start with.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Government controlled or privatization   Government controlled or privatization EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Agree DK. One often hears about "an even playing field". Where is it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Government controlled or privatization   Government controlled or privatization Empty

Back to top Go down

Government controlled or privatization
Page 1 of 1