Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!

Go down 
+3
Abe F. March
Al Stevens
joefrank
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! Empty
PostSubject: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 12:12 pm

11/3/2012

Does anyone know how to get FREE Microsoft Word 2010 ? I have to

convert two books to that format , Smashword says it has to be

MIcrosoft Word doc. Thanks

Cheers..Joe..Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:01 pm

You can get a 60-day trial version here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:05 pm

You can use the OpenOffice Write program to produce Word .doc files. It's free forever.

http://www.openoffice.org/

Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 pm

11/3/2012

I tried Microsoft Word 2010 and can't donload it

because I did it several months ago and now they

won't let me donwload it again ! I already have Open Office

and it doesn't have the new Microsoft conversion, tried it and

smash words rejects it ! Might as well give up !

Cheers..Joe..Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 6:58 am

Joe,
I most always had a MS Word version borrowed from someone else. That became a chore especially when there were updates. When I got my new PC, I purchased the MS Office package and now get regular updates. If you intend to use MS Word, it may be best to just buy it and then you can keep it updated free of charge as well as getting assistance when needed.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:59 am

You might check to see if you can get the 2010 Starter. It came with my new netbook, and I'm still using it - no need to pay for an upgrade for my uses.

It may be, though, that Starter is only available on new computers, and is not for sale generally - wouldn't hurt to check. If it is for sale, it would be cheaper, and you always have an option to upgrade later.

The only "problem" is that the lower right corner runs ads. I have become so adjusted that I don't even notice.

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 5:41 pm

11/5/2012

Ann..

Thanks, I'll check that out ! The New Microsoft Word 2010

is expensive...

Cheers..Joe..Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Starter is included with Windows 7 on some new computers. It is not available for download.
I used it for a while and found it lacking for serious manuscript and e-book development.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:18 pm

11/5/2012

I give up !

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:21 pm

:D11/5/2012

You wouldn't believe what I went through today ! My computer

got all screwed up by my downloading something from a site that

claimed it coudl download Microsoft word , fatal error, so I had to

have the computer go back to factory settings ! What did I find

Microsoft Starter ! Tomorrow I'll try it...Now I have to re-ad things

to my computer plus all my favorites !!!!

Cheers..Joe....Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 pm

I am not sure what you are working with... so this might sound really noobish... but if the format is the same and it is just a question of saving a file in a particular format... you can send it to a friend who has that program - they can safe it in that format and send it back to you for the upload....

... I have not worked with Smashword, only with Kindle, and they have a previewer. If Smashword has a previewer you would be able to see if it translates over.

Over short or long you would prolly have to upgrade though.

Also, this will only work if the formatting in MS Word stays the same - like the Headings etc... like I said... I am a noob at this - and have never worked with any MS Word before the XP version Sad

Oh and whatever you get sent back as the attachment you do not want to open it... you would have to just download it and straight up load it into Smashword.

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 6:30 am

You all are way ahead of me with your ebooks. The best I did was Kindle. I think I would stick with Kindle because it worked for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 7:13 am

There is a new version of open office available Joe!
When using writer you have to "save as" the file and choose what version of word .doc you require give it a name that indicates the doc version as the program generates an odt format copy automatically. Smashwords should accept any word doc files I think you may have sent them the odt format of open office.
I never had any problems doing it this way.
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 am

@ DK

I am only on Kindle right now, but that is because I did not know any better. They offered the kdp program and I enrolled the book in that.

Now, that I have done more research it seems counter intuitive to me to just list a "product" for sale through one source - when there are so many others out there.

Also, it seems that those who publish through Smashword have the ability to list their books for free - which was what I originally wanted to do - but Kindle does not allow. Ironically, those who go through Smashword can keep their books up on Kindle for free - since Amazon price matches.

The next book I will list through Smashword - because the exposure should certainly have a wider range.

OHHH... do any of you - who pusblish through Smashword- want to share if the formatting is very different from Amazon... I have not had a chance to read over the Smashword Formatting Guide (yet) since I am still editing.

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:03 am

Read the latest guide when you are done editing that is the best thing and make sure you follow their instructions about formatting it is quite easy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 11:06 am

You can opt out of Kindle Select after 90 days. I find that Smashwords and B&N just don't reach the audience that Amazon does, so I've gone back to it for a few months. I'm focusing on getting the individual stories posted for free, one at a time, just for a day at a time. I had been working to get Amazon to reduce the .99 price to "free" for a while, and it wasn't happening. I want people to read the stories free in hopes that more of those readers will be willing to pay for the novel. It has actually improved sales on the anthology, which surprises me, since the content is the same - just in a single volume.

It's a dilemma. I don't really approve of supporting Amazon's attempt to monopolize the market, but until Smashwords does better on sales, I will use the Select option for a while.

Katja, all you have to do is make sure you list Smashwords as publisher of any books you upload there, and one place, I think it is PubIt, but not sure, wants the old Word doc. format, which is easy to change to. You want to list yourself or you own publishing title in all the other places besides Smashwords. (Thank you, Shelagh, for showing me how) Other than that, I have not found any differences.
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:17 pm

@ Dmondeo

Thanks, will do - just not in that stage of the process, yet. Getting there slowly though.

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 pm

@ Alj

I have been rummaging through the Author Forum over on Amazon and a lot of them claim that their B&N sales are better than their Kindle sales.
Next, I noticed that some of the authors have their books on Amazon for free permanently. That was what promted my research, because if you are not in the kdp you have to list for at least $.99. The ones who list permanently for free - mostly go through Smashword.
By looking at the way that the Amazon ranking and placement of free books works that gives those who list for free an advantage that (I think) a new author like me cannot pass up on. However, SB is stuck in kdp until January 5th (sigh).
Now, a lot of the Amazon authors seem to try to convince Amazon to stop the free-bees - at which point that goody will vanish, and you can only get the free listing if you are in the kdp program. Hopefully, that does not happen before Jan 5th...lol.

No doubt, Amazon is the big dog on the block, but since some of the others also have huge reader bases (I own a Nook and a Kindle) I do not want to miss out on those markets. Heck, if my sales on the others are as much as the ones on Amazon - I might be able to get two or three Happy Meals...rather than just one...just kidding... but it would add extra momentum for sure.

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:36 pm

I have two books listed permanently on Amazon, too, but there is no guarantee that they will reduce the price on future ones. You cannot upload into Kindle as free - you have to upload for a price, minimum .99, then let them know that the book is free on other sites. Yes, going through Smashwords is where you begin, but it is up to Amazon whether or not they will go along. That seems to be happening less often now that they have the select program.

Not trying to convince anyone they ought to do it a certain way - whatever works best for you is what you should do.

Different strokes; different experiences.
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:45 pm

@ alj

Oh, I have read about the price match. Hmm, that would make sense that they would start refusing the price match requests. Got ya!

Sorry for the noobness... so, if I upload onto Smashword, it does not automatically put it on all those other sites (Amazon, B&N, etc)? Do I still have to upload it to all of those individually?

I thought I had an understanding, but now am not so sure anymore...lol

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 12:54 pm

11/5/2012

I seem to be doing pretty good in Smashwords, except to upload

in Microsoft Word, I did find on my computer Microsoft starter

I don't know which Item I should save the stories ? Does Ann know ?

Cheers..Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:37 pm

KatjaB wrote:
@ alj

Oh, I have read about the price match. Hmm, that would make sense that they would start refusing the price match requests. Got ya!

Sorry for the noobness... so, if I upload onto Smashword, it does not automatically put it on all those other sites (Amazon, B&N, etc)? Do I still have to upload it to all of those individually?

I thought I had an understanding, but now am not so sure anymore...lol

Huggles,
Katja

Hey Katja - you are so not a noob.

Smashwords will distribute the books for you. When you set up your pages, you will find access to a "Channel Manager" which will allow you to control how your works are distributed. They currently do not have an agreement with Amazon, but say they are working on it. You will need to upload to KDP in addition to Smashwords - preferably after the Smashwords versions show up at B&N, which will take a few weeks. Then, if you want your book to be free, there is a little clickable box near the lower right side of your book's Amazon page that says you can report a lower price, and they will price-match - only, sometimes, they don't ever get around to it, even if you contact them multiple times.

The books will go out to all those sites as being published by Smashwords. If you want to have the books published in your name, say at B&N, you can use their site, PubIt, which, as far as I have found, works very much like KDP. There are some differences concerning what files you use, whether doc, dot or dotx, and what size you cover pic should be, and whether you need to use JPG or PNG, but the directions are pretty clear.

Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:45 pm

11/5/2012

Still can't convert my books I have Microsoft start,

now when you save here's the choice to save it in.

1. Word Document ( Smashwords rejected this !!)

2. Word 97-2003 Document

3. OPen Document Text

4. Works 6-9 Document

I don't know which one to use ???????

Thanks.Joe...Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Try 97-2003, Joe. I think that's the one they are looking for.
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:12 pm

@ alj

Thanks fort he vote of confidence... and saying that I am not a noob... lol... you should have seen me in the Amazon forum where my post went in ohhh.... 6 times... and they started a spam post section for me...lolz.

Of course, I apologized and they are not mad at me anymore.

@Joe You go ahead and learn it all - when I get to the point where I pull my hair over Smashword I can drill you for advice...lolz.

Huggles,

Katja
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!   DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ?  HELP !!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET FREE MICROSOFT 2010 ? HELP !!!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next