Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The power of satire

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

The power of satire Empty
PostSubject: The power of satire   The power of satire EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 5:43 am

I think it is interesting that two of our members have made references to satirical responses to our current situation. First, Betty compared same to George Orwell's powerful work, Animal Farm, and last night, Victor provided us with "a modest proposal" that was almost as biting as the original by Jonathan Swift. (At least Professor Lopez did not recommend overcoming poverty by roasting babies).

Clearly a time of crisis is at hand.

Annie
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The power of satire   The power of satire EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 7:11 am

Ann, you said what I'm thinking. We are in a crisis. Many of us want to maintain a positive attitude and outlook, however we can't be blind to reality and ignore the wrong that is being perpetuated.
Yesterday a cousin in Florida of one of my local friends called and said, "All you get to hear over there is the bad news about America." It was rather amusing in a way in that Good News is seldom reported. And often what is considered good news to one is bad for another, i.e., Polls on the Election.

The outcome of this most important election will determine our lives for the next four years or even longer depending on the ramifications, good or bad. (One has only to consider the ramifications of the Bush Presidency) Everyone who can vote, should vote. As I stated previously, I have scheduled my trip to the US to coincide with the election. My single vote may not mean much, but it gives me the right to speak about the issues. I care about America, my relatives and their future.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The power of satire   The power of satire EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 8:00 am

Yes, Abe, but between ignoring a situation and focusing on its negativity, there are several viable alternatives. I am just pointing out that satire is one of them, and often very effective.

Just me again. Smile

Annie
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The power of satire   The power of satire Empty

Back to top Go down

The power of satire
Page 1 of 1