Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?

Go down 
+3
Shelagh
dkchristi
fiona walker
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fiona walker

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-01-18

Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? Empty
PostSubject: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 am

Only recently joined so I really don't know if asking to pick other authors' brains is regarded as a cheating no-no. Essentially we published a weight loss/management book late 2010 with AuthorHouse, won't be doing anything with them again let me say. We have sold, in the hundreds but you'd think with the worldwide weight crisis there would be more interest. Our reviews on Amazon don't go lower than a 4* (I think...!) and some are very good indeed. We've had national newspaper coverage in the UK for the therapy as well as for the book, and a bit (one 3 minute slot on ABC news which didn't actually mention the book...) in the US. Without asking someone to do my work for me, can anyone baby me as to exactly what we should be doing? I tweeted a lot until I got someone accusing me of spamming (don't think I was technically but I reined it in a bit after that). I've tailed off doing anything to my blog because it was a bit soul destroying and I felt honour bound to be honest about lack of success.... We've emailed local newspapers about success stories, national charities associated with health-related stuff, blah blah.

Any ideas for REAL success stories from self-marketing???? Question
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 6:32 am

Give seminars that the price includes the book.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 pm

I did a quick search on Amazon.com for "weight loss" books. I pulled up 62,864 Results:

Paperback (33,253)

Hardcover (17,998)

Kindle Edition(3,004)

On Amazon.co.uk, I pulled up 41,942 Results:

Hardcover (17,455)

Paperback (22,803)

Kindle Books (3,551)

Make your pitch, tell me why I should buy your book and not one of the other books available online.

Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Perhaps it is something as simple as changing the title. Fat people want hope and easy fixes. If you are marketing "balooning obesety" remedies. Really fat people want fat to know that it is possible to change from large to medium. Just an idea.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:20 pm

I cannot find your book on AuthorHouse--apparently you used a pseudonym. My guess is that the title, whatever it is, is the problem.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 4:59 pm

People who have a weight problem do not want to think of themselves as "obese." Your title give the impression that "obesity"is a serious, growing problem that must be controlled and eliminated. It alienates the very people you (hopefully) wish to help.

Just me.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 6:37 pm

AuthorHouse lists no book titled "Ballooning Obesity" and no author named Fiona Walker. The only book under weight loss that could be hers is "Gastric Band and Beyond." Now there's a catchy title. Until she chimes in with her author's name and book title, there's not much we can do to help her.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 4:44 am

The book is available on Amazon, Al.

Last edited by Shelagh on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:24 am

Thanks, Shelagh. I think it's the subject matter. A very specialized market, most of whom probably have lots of literature both from their doctors and from the internet. A google of "gastric band surgery" delivers 325,000 hits.

A catchier title might help, too. But I can't suggest anything.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:30 am

I think the title gets attention. The description of the book can downplay the obesity part if that offends. Grabbing attention is key.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?   Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ballooning Obesity .... how can I market our book better?
Page 1 of 1