Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Book Market Hammered on Both Ends

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Book Market Hammered on Both Ends Empty
PostSubject: Book Market Hammered on Both Ends   Book Market Hammered on Both Ends EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 9:16 am

I had thought of the effect that the economy had on book sales and there is another area being affected, public libraries. Many cities are in a budget hole and everything is on the table. This story about Philadelphia and Jacksonville, Fl. are perfect examples:

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6618854.html

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/071408/met_303463404.shtml

Both of these libraries have my books as part of their collection and continued downsizing in public library budgets will hit less well known authors the most. Libraries are a significant factor in book sales and their impact is illustrated by the collections below.

Cleveland Jacksonville

Who else out there has heard of cutbacks hitting libraries? If libraries become expendable, it would be a great setback for authors, book lovers and the communities served.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Book Market Hammered on Both Ends   Book Market Hammered on Both Ends EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 10:05 am

Good topic, DT.
My local library wanted to order Forever Friends, but have now postponed this until the New Year due to funding uncertainties. We are also going through a major refurb and restructuring, meaning more resources are going to be diverted to electronic media and less paper books will be placed on the shelves as of next April, 2009.
Back to top Go down
A. W. Nu

PostSubject: Nice article   Book Market Hammered on Both Ends EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks for opening my eyes. I never considered libraries being a part of the fiscal mess this country has gotten into.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Market Hammered on Both Ends   Book Market Hammered on Both Ends Empty

Back to top Go down

Book Market Hammered on Both Ends
Page 1 of 1