Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???

Go down 
+2
zadaconnaway
roatan4us
6 posters
AuthorMessage
roatan4us

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-11-25

Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing??? Empty
PostSubject: Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???   Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing??? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 6:52 pm

I would like to get peoples feedback on which one of these "events" are the best to market the release of my first book that will come out around Christmas. Book Signing is only for when you do it in a book store right? I want to have a "party" gathering for family and friends, with all the media invited along with anyone else I know (or don't know). I am thinking about having it first thing in February. Giving me time to prepare everything.

Anyone have a good source for inexpesive printing of fliers and bookmarks?

Thanks, Carl
Back to top Go down
http://www.theultimatepursuit.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???   Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing??? EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Carl I have heard Kinko's does good work and I have used Vistaprint.com for business cards and postcards.

There is also another one that does printing reasonable that folks have used, but I can't remember who it was. Maybe someone else will weigh in on this. I was quite pleased with their work, and usually you can get your cards for free-just pay the postage. Their templates are very easy to use, as well.

For posters, you might want to print it out on your own and have it laminated. There are quite a few places around that have the machines and will do it for you at a reasonable price.

I don't think there are any hard andd fast rules on where you have a signing, and if you do a launch you could do it anywhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???   Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing??? EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 2:51 pm

You should do it as you choose, but don't expect any interest from the media. It doesn't work that way unless you are famous.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Gina
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Gina

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???   Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing??? EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 8:08 am

That's very true. I've been promised someone from the local paper for
my signing in January, but I'm not holding my breath. Following the
release of my last press release, two papers that said they wanted to
do a story about the launch didn't even look at the web site until a week after it had happened. Rolling Eyes

I bought postcards from Vista Print and made up the design so I could cut them in half with a guillotine to make bookmarks. The Vista Print fliers turned out really well, as did the custom made wallets for press packs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ginacolliasuzuki.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???   Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing??? EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 4:08 pm

The best publicity I had for a book signing was when I first published Arirang: The Bamboo Connection and booked an immediate signing at a Greek Restaurant December 21. The cover is the Parthenon and a couple chapters talk about Greece. The restaurant owner had media connections, and the novelty got me some connections. The press was all over it.

The second best was when I went back to Michigan for my class reunion. I tied the book to the reunion and was all over the local papers, local tv and local radio.

My experience tells me that just a book signing for an unknown author is not much news. However, tying it to something unique catches local media.

Oh, another good one was a signing at Mina Hemingway's independent book store. She is the granddaughter of Ernest. Just her name and store (also, I could announce her new location) brought the press. Next, came television.

Of these three, the best sales were at the chain of Greek restaurants just before Christmas and again before Valentine's Day - the red book cover did it every time.

The other events generated some web site and Amazon sales on top of the books sold at the signing.

I'm not so sure a signed book is the big deal it once was with all the self-publishing. After all, what's D.K.Christi's signature worth compared to Ernest Hemingway. Now, I might have stood in line for his signature. I think there are just lots of unknown authors out there signing books, but the interest is not necessarily high.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Gina
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Gina

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2008-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???   Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing??? EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 8:01 am

dkchristi wrote:
My experience tells me that just a book signing for an unknown author is not much news.

I would have agreed a couple of weeks ago. Then I started getting requests for signed photographs. This has really thrown me. It's not the novel that's doing this either... it's the serious Japanese art history book. I don't get it, I really don't. Shocked

dkchristi wrote:
However, tying it to something unique catches local media.

My current book, The Wonderful Demise of Benjamin Arnold Guppy, has got more media attention because it's inspired by real events. Part of the original story made it into the paper a few years back, so there's a lot of local interest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ginacolliasuzuki.com
Richard Stanbery
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Richard Stanbery

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???   Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing??? EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Hey. I guess that you might say that I am trying to build a personna as a "fringe" writer, or an attitude writer. In this competitive market, you gotta stand out someway! I'll share with you what I am doing. I wanted to appeal to my specific audience.
So, I made up some signs in English and Russian and just went to the county fairs. I sold signed books, talked to a lot of people, and made a name for myself. It is starting to work. I'm in some local bookstores and libraries. Hey, don't be afraid to think outside of the box. Do fairs, town festivals, large craft shows, whatever. The point is two fold:
A...Get your name out there wherever large groups of people are publically available. Get to be a local known name.
B...Use big, unusual, and if need be; wierd, eye catching graphics and find some way to attract the target audience so that they will stand around and talk with you. Pretty soon, you will have sold them some books and made some new fans. They will then go back to thier circles and spread your name around. Don't try to attract everybody, just the ones that you want.That's my strategy, for what it is worth. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
http://richardstanbery.webs.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???   Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Book Launch, Book Release, or Book Signing???
Page 1 of 1