Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A Book Signing

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

A Book Signing Empty
PostSubject: A Book Signing   A Book Signing EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 8:39 pm

My last book signing I
finally had to call it quits after 3-1/2 hours. The good part is they
are having me back again the end of August. The people who were at the
first one told their friends who want to hear me speak and purchase the
book. Since then I have done two consults that came directly from that book signing as
well.

I usually tell a little bit about how the book was written, how the title came into being, and how it was published. Throughout I ask if there are any questions. Then I read 2, sometimes 3, short chapters from the book. Again I ask if there are any questions. From there a discussion usually arises. Or should I say I end up doing a presentation based on what they have asked.

I never really prepare what I am going to say. I usually only choose my chapters just before leaving the house for the signing. I do it this way because the audiences are always so different. However, it seems they are interested in the same things. If that made any sense to you.

What are your experiences with book signings? What do you do? What do you talk about?
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

A Book Signing Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Book Signing   A Book Signing EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 9:04 am

I think 3.5 hours is a very good thing, especially if a lot of that time is for signing rather than talking. Smile

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Jeffrey J. Mariotte
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Jeffrey J. Mariotte

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-18

A Book Signing Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Book Signing   A Book Signing EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 1:23 pm

I've done dozens of signings, and hosted literally hundreds over the years at the bookstore I own. What goes on is usually at the discretion of the bookstore (or other event). Some of them want a reading or a talk, some just want you to sit and sign. Then for the really big names, there's usually no time for speaking because there can be hundreds of people standing in line--I'm a long way from that level, though.

I've sold anywhere from 2 books to 50 at signings (never none, which is a good thing), and of course I've seen a lot more than that sold. I always make a point of signing as much leftover stock as I can, or as the store will let me, because they'll usually put a sticker or something on it indicating that it's signed, and leave it prominently displayed post-signing, and anything that encourages people to pick up any given book over all the others in a bookstore can be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A Book Signing Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Book Signing   A Book Signing Empty

Back to top Go down

A Book Signing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Marketing :: Events-
Jump to: