Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Another edition!

Go down 
+4
lyntx
alj
Shelagh
LC
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 am

Well, I just got off the phone with the Cengage editor who has taken over the category my first textbook is in. They do want a second edition. She had already sent my book out to reviewers -college instructors who both use it and don't use it. She said the book hasn't sold as well as they had hoped, but she also said that the reviewers who don't use it didn't even know it existed, and admitted that's Cengage's fault.

She told me they are going to develop more titles in that category. Of course, that's exactly what the first editor told me six years ago, but since my book came out, they haven't published any other titles in that category. She said now they were really going to develop them. Rolling Eyes This is important, because right now they don't go to any of the conventions in that field, where other publishers who do have a lot of current titles go to advertise their books.

Anyhow, she's sending me all the reviewer comments and wants me to do a proposal on how I'll incorporate their comments and what other changes I'll make. Fine. I'm also going to make changes to their CONTRACT (like bigger royalty) and will give it to a contract lawyer for a flat fee review. My current contract says that all future editions will be under the same conditions, but homie don't play dat that no more.

Heh, I also asked her if she'd be interested in a proposal for another book that I've been developing. She said yes, so I'll hit her up with that later. I need to take the "first right of refusal" out of all my contracts because I do bounce from publisher to publisher, whether I'm supposed to or not. Smile

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 9:25 am

Congratulations! Another edition! 931984
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Sounds good, LC

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Congradulations!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Seems you in a positive mode. Congratulations.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks, all. She emailed me the reviews. I'm kind of dismayed that two of them said they like my other text better and listed it as a competitor. I had never intended for my two texts to compete. It's even in my contracts that I'm not supposed to write competitor books for the duration of the contract. Well, no one has said anything about it to me yet. I'll make most of the improvements they asked for (not all). LOL, this is what Venus and Serena's dad must feel like, rooting for both his daughters while they compete against each other. Smile

Prentice Hall has better marketing though, for sure. Some of the reviewers had never even heard of my first text, yet were already in possession of my second.

Last edited by LC on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:37 am

LC,

You have done well! Proud to know you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:38 am

Hey, Alice, thanks. I have your Swamp book on the shelf next to mine, btw.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 10:50 am

I should think so!
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Good for you.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:14 pm

LC, I have your text as a coffee table book - fun to look through and learn a bit. So many other colleague books are in ebook - difficult to display :-(

I want Forever Travels in print whenever I can catch it at a very low price at Lulu.com I need a copy for my mom and for a friend who's a great traveler but stopped for a while by chemo. I sent her the ebook, but I think a print copy would be nice also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi DK,

The book has a twenty-five percent dicsount at the moment on Lulu:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/forever-travels/15997261
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Quote :
LC, I have your text as a coffee table book

DK - I am honored! Yeah, ebooks just don't display like the printed ones. Smile

I've been going through my reviews -there are six of them, and I'm lol at how two said they like my other book better. Guess I need to step up my game with this text. I have a lot of work to do. Doesn't look like I'll ever get around to trying a novel any time soon. I'm not the type that can have multiple WIPs. I can only work on one at a time.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 6:49 am

You tell your stories with images, arts, and graphics. They "paint" very clear pictures, and prick our imaginations. That's what it is all about.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks, Ann! Well, if I can't do the Great American Novel, I'll settle for the Great American Textbook. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another edition! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another edition!   Another edition! Empty

Back to top Go down

Another edition!
Page 1 of 1