Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Just passing by...

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 1:40 pm

I have been around this forum for some time. I even make claim to have become a better writer on this forum. I am not back as an active member, but I have looked in from the side lines. This forum has always had it’s chat room members only, but it also had writers interested in writing. Most of those have died, or moved on. The forum gets new members all the time…then they leave. If you watch who logs on each day, it’s always the same seven or eight people. I know you don’t consider yourselves a click…but that is what it is. New members see this. If they comment on something that one of these eight post, and one of their friend(sic) view it as an attack, they will get flamed. So they don’t comment.
When a new member post a piece of their work, what do you think they are looking for? A pat on the back? Yeah they want that, but they also want fed back.
Here is some feed back I received from a member who has not posted on this forum in a very long time;

FROM ROBERT
I like the scenario to which you are alluding, but you are not using your talent. A scenario like this needs your talent. I read some of your stuff. (stuff that got quoted before you deleted) Some of that stuff I read reveals what you have within your power. Why ain't you usin' it? Is it the same reason that you spell "break," as "brake," or "loose," as "lose?" Elevators do have brakes. I'm not being a smart guy here. This is where spelling errors can really mess things up. "Elevator brake lose" could be phrased, "elevator losing brake." "Breaking loose...losing brake."
I like this story and I think you are developing the story well. There are places in here where you haven't used proper punctuation, and there are some other technical slip-ups, but I ain't gonna point them out to you. I'd really like you to use what you got and turn those first few lines into something that is gripping, captivating, enthralling, or something of the kind. Like I said, I've read some of your stuff, I like this, but I see something that does not have the full talent of its author applied to it.

One member of the forum believes herself a master writer because she was a teacher. I believe she said she used to teach writing. Teaching writing does not give one the talent to tell a story. That is not to say they can’t make up a good story…they just have not learned how to tell it in a manner that brings it to life. It is very hard to make comment on anything a teacher has written. They do not take correction well.
For her friends(sic) to start a flame war with the banner, I will attack anyone who attacks my friend…defeats the purpose of comments. Who want’s to make a comment if they know they will be flamed?
I have been reading your post for the last three days. You are asking the question, “”Where have all the people gone.” Look at the threads. When was the last time a writer posted work? How many comments were given? When was the last time a query letter was posted?
If you can’t figure out why a very good forum is fading away, conceder what you post?
LC is trying to tell you in a very nice way.
I will not respond to comments on this thread…I don’t need a flame war, I have better things on my plate.

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Domenic,

I hope you are making headway on getting your work published.
Thank you for your comments.
I will stick up for my friends when they are unjustly attacked. What are friends for?
You told us off when you left. I remember.
No one here claims to be perfect.
Can't you bury your hatchet?
Life is far too short for this rubbish.
Best of luck to you.

As far as posting to the work in progress board--each to his own. I do not post my work there as I don't wish
to. I prefer an editor. Those who wish to post there, do so. I do not generally advise on writing either.
I am writing another book, however.

The only reason I come here is to keep in touch with my friends. The Chatterbox is about the only appropriate place for me to post.

I am sorry you are so offended by my preferences.

My advice: Get your work published. It will improve your self image and you will be released from having to tell everyone off.

Last edited by alice on Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:13 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi Domenic,

Good to see you! I will follow your thread with interest and comment from time to time.

Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
I have been around this forum for some time. I even make claim to have become a better write on this forum. I am not back as an active member, but I do look in from the side lines. This forum has always had it’s chat room members only, but it also had writers interested in writing. Most of those have died, or moved on. The forum gets new members all the time…then they leave. If you watch who logs on each day, it’s always the same seven or eight people. I know you don’t consider yourselves a click…but that is what it is. New members see this. If they comment on something that one of these eight post, and one of their friend(sic) view it as an attack, they will get flamed. So they don’t comment.
When a new member post a piece of their work, what do you think they are looking for? A pat on the back? Yeah they want that, but they also want fed back.
Here is some feed back I received from a member who has not posted on this forum in a very long time;

FROM ROBERT
I like the scenario to which you are alluding, but you are not using your talent. A scenario like this needs your talent. I read some of your stuff. (stuff that got quoted before you deleted) Some of that stuff I read reveals what you have within your power. Why ain't you usin' it? Is it the same reason that you spell "break," as "brake," or "loose," as "lose?" Elevators do have brakes. I'm not being a smart guy here. This is where spelling errors can really mess things up. "Elevator brake lose" could be phrased, "elevator losing brake." "Breaking loose...losing brake."
I like this story and I think you are developing the story well. There are places in here where you haven't used proper punctuation, and there are some other technical slip-ups, but I ain't gonna point them out to you. I'd really like you to use what you got and turn those first few lines into something that is gripping, captivating, enthralling, or something of the kind. Like I said, I've read some of your stuff, I like this, but I see something that does not have the full talent of its author applied to it.

One member of the forum believes herself a master writer because she was a teacher. I believe she said she used to teach writing. Teaching writing does not give one the talent to tell a story. That is not to say they can’t make up a good story…they just have not learned how to tell it in a manner that brings it to life. It is very hard to make comment on anything a teacher has written. They do not take correction well.
For her friends(sic) to start a flame war with the banner, I will attack anyone who attacks my friend…defeats the purpose of comments. Who want’s to make a comment if they know they will be flamed?
I have been reading your post for the last three days. You are asking the question, “”Where have all the people gone.” Look at the threads. When was the last time a writer posted work? How many comments were given? When was the last time a query letter was posted?
If you can’t figure out why a very good forum is fading away, conceder what you post?
LC is trying to tell you in a very nice way.
I will not respond to comments on this thread…I don’t need a flame war, I have better things on my plate.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:06 am

Nothing here will change. Bye...
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:46 am

Oh yes it will. I am ready for you now, I saw the posts where you accused me of stupidity, of being a troll and called upon Shelagh to take note. I had to go to a birthday party and so did not have time to save them.

When I got home I was trying to save them when you deleted them. I think they will make great adverrtising material for your writing abilities once your work is published. People can read a few gas emitting, condescending remarks and see if they wish to spend their time and money on the writings of Domenic Pappalardo.

Find some happiness, it is more fun to spread than gloom. Your misery is too apparent.

Best wishes. Just passing by... 588578
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:20 am

alice wrote:

Oh yes it will. I am ready for you now, I saw the posts where you accused me of stupidity, of being a troll and called upon Shelagh to take note. I had to go to a birthday party and so did not have time to save them.

When I got home I was trying to save them when you deleted them. I think they will make great adverrtising material for your writing abilities once your work is published. People can read a few gas emitting, condescending remarks and see if they wish to spend their time and money on the writings of Domenic Pappalardo.

Find some happiness, it is more fun to spread than gloom. Your misery is too apparent.

Alice, you are the demise of this forum. You are a troll. You are one sick puppy.
Copy this; “Take your threats, and Piss off.”
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 am

Domenic,

I hope you feel better soon.

I will continue to copy your posts--as you are revealing a lot about yourself

I am not mad at you, just very sorry for you.

We have a new member, why not talk on her thread about why you write?

You are telling not showing.

Last edited by alice on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:59 am

Domenic, let it go. Trying to get in the last word or dig is a bit childish. I think you're above that.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:15 am

alice wrote:

Alice, you are the demise of this forum. You are a troll. You are one sick puppy.
Copy this; “Take your threats, and Piss off.”
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 am

Domenic,

Instead of telling us what is wrong with the forum and our writing, why not get busy and show us how to welcome new members, how to have pleasant threads , etc.

Showing is always preferable to simply telling. You have advocated this.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 11:03 am

I like this thread! Oh what a gift it is to see myself as Domenic sees me.

Funny his good firend W.Lane Rogers did not see all of this dross.

He actually said I was a writer. Coming from him I felt quite uplifted, at any rate it was better than being called a sick puppy and a troll.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:10 pm

I love this thread so much I have decided to keep it alive. It is a monument to Domenic and his fantastic, charming, wise way of setting folks straight. It already has 184 readers and may be a real hit. Honest Abe said people like irritation--he is so right.

I must grab lunch--back later.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:31 pm

alice wrote:
I like this thread! Oh what a gift it is to see myself as Domenic sees me.

Funny his good firend W.Lane Rogers did not see all of this dross.

He actually said I was a writer. Coming from him I felt quite uplifted, at any rate it was better than being called a sick puppy and a troll.

He's been known to say worse.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:29 pm

Ann,

You are so very right. You have had to deal with much worse.

On a happier note it is an absolutely beautiful fall day here. I ate a delicious tuna fish sandwich then went to Michael's Craft Store and bought a scarecrow it is in the midst of fall leaves and perks up our living room

I will get a picture of it soon and post it on this thread. Al encouraged me to paint by saying he liked the cover of my book so I got two canvasses and will paint snowmen for our grandsons.

What fun!
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Domenic

You are a hit--already 200 readers and four different contributor's.
Why not start some more threads?

Come on--be a sport!
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:44 pm

All you have done Alice…is proven you are a troll. Of the first order.

Urban Dictionary: troll 1. troll One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argumentwww.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll - CachedMore results from urbandictionary.com »

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Did I begin this thread?

Please do not confuse yourself with me.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:48 pm

NO, You did what a TROLL does.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Definition of psychological term projection

Projection: noun: the attribution of one's own ideas, feelings, or attitudes to other people or to objects; especially : the externalization of blame, guilt, or responsibility as a defense against anxiety

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/projection
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Thank you, Ann,

That is indeed the way I see it. Just passing by... 588578
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Ah...the BIG TROLL is here. You two guys are funny. Al could throw away his two wooden dummies, and sit you two on his knees, and have one hell of a show.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Got to take a break and watch The Big Valley...Later
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:03 pm

TROLLS TAKE BREAKS? LOL.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Picture removed by Alice

Last edited by alice on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Just passing by... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just passing by...   Just passing by... Empty

Back to top Go down

Just passing by...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next