Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Passing of Steve Jobs

Go down 
+5
Shelagh
joefrank
alj
lyntx
alice
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

The Passing of Steve Jobs Empty
PostSubject: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 pm

How sad for such a creative genius to leave us so young. He was very inspirational too.
I loved it when he said, "Don't live someone else's dream for you."
I wonder how many folks have led stiffled lives --literally squelched because of their overbearing upbringing.

Also here, what is held back because of fear of reprisals?
I willl post what I think.

Others should do the same. The Passing of Steve Jobs 588578
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Was I the only one who was upset at the passing of Steve Jobs?

He changed the world : i pod, i phone, i pad, etc.,
Back to top Go down
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-27

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Ann already started posts about SJ on INFORMATION.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey, Alice, check the Information Forum.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Thank you ! Lyntx.
I stand corrrected.
Ann, '"Great minds run in the same channel. "

We can mourn on the information thread.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 5:31 pm

10/6/2011

People with great ideas and great minds come along
once in a lifetime, may he rest in peace and his family
grow in strength..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:30 am

I posted on Ann's thread not realising the full meaning of the post, so I deleted it. This is a sad loss to his family and the world. He was a genius. Some people change the world; he was one of them.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 9:24 pm

It's interesting how people you don't know personally can have that affect. I, too, mourn his passing. I have benefited from his products. An Apple Macintosh was my first computer in 1985, and I wrote the first edition of my first book on it. I've got a great photo of myself in front of that computer, working on the book.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 11:37 pm

I watched the utube of his speech to the graduating class at Stanford university - an excellent speech. The only degree Jobs received was the honorary one.
He was a learned man. It is the learning part that is significant. Bill Gates is just another example of someone who dropped out of college and became successful. They continued to learn and applied what they learned to their ambitions/goals.
I know many people with multiple degrees who are unsuccessful and/or unemployed. Applying what is learned is the key. Never giving up even with adversity, can open new doors of opportunity. His message to the graduating class was inspirational and informative.

America is one place where a lack of a degree does not block opportunity. Believe in yourself and your vision, and then work to make it happen.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 8:57 am

Some schools are repressive and do little more than squelch creativity.
Others open a vision of possibilities.

Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 11:40 am

Back to Steve Jobs I feel bad about him. The Pancreatic surgery he had is abysmal and then to die anyway and so young is very sad.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 12:08 pm

My brother had the same Whipple operation. It gave him an extra two and a half years. His daughter was only three. Two and a half years is a long time in a child's life. He appreciated it.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Shelagh ,

Your poor brother. I am so sorry for him too.
Did they think your brother was cured?
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 am

people follow who they follow.

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 am

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
... I often wonder if we make Hero’s of the wrong people? Being a Christian country it only seems logical the tone of the Nation would be to follow the Ten Commandments…one of which is, “You shall not kill.” A simple command. It doesn’t say it’s okay to kill for one reason, or another…it simply says…you can’t kill other people. If someone kills one, or two, even three people, we label them a murderer... I have often wondered, are those in the military exempt from the commandment not to kill? Strange, I can’t find where the God of the bible gives any exemptions to that one commandment to anyone, for any reason? ...

Good point about truly considering who you consider a hero. It is often the average 'Joe' who does something heroic and is never recognized for it. I agree.

~ ~ ~

Regarding the command given in the second book of the bible and if god has ordered killings ...

There are plenty: At Deuteronomy 22:20,21 god tells his people to stone to death a young woman if she's found to not be a virgin on her wedding night.

Though he later stops him, god orders Abraham to kill his son Isaac at Genesis 22:2

At Exodus 21 god tells his people to kill anyone who: smites his parents, curses his parents, is presumptuous upon his neighbor, or overworking his ox

At 2 Kings 10: 18-27 under god's order Jehu has his men kill a bunch of people because they were of the 'wrong' religion.

At Numbers 1:48-51 god gives instruction that anyone who goes near the Tabernacle should be killed

Actually, the ten commandments were given to the nation of Israel (Jews) along with a gazillion other instructions and commandments. They are part of the Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures). When Jesus gave his life as a sacrifice, this set the Israelites free of the 'old law' including the ten commandments.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 9:40 am

A person can be a conscientious objector and thus avoid killing , if they so choose.
My brother and husband opted this way-I am glad .

I would not wish to live with a killer.

Last edited by alice on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 10:36 am

people follow what they want.

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:13 am

One of the major characters in Redstone's Valley, Jake Holder - you met him at Bandera Pass, if you are following the adventures, and he shows up again near the end of RC's 2nd chapter, where he has accepted a job as a deputy sheriff, has to come to grips with the difference between making war and keeping peace.

We live in an imperfect world, and no one in it is "free of sin," to use a Judeo/Christian term. We all have to make our own choices, based on our individual circumstances.

I first read this quote from Seneca as front material for Taylor Caldwell's novel, A Prelude to Love. I've never forgotten it:

Quote :
Seneca: "We do not even know ourselves; therefore, why should we judge a neighbor? No one knows what makes a man, on only God knows his thoughts, his joys, his bitterness, his agony, the injustices committed against him and the injustices he commits. All lives, whether good or in error, painful or happy, are only a prologue to love beyond the grave, where all is understood and almost all forgiven."

In our imperfect world, violence happens. Whether we should retaliate or not, it seems to me, depends on the circumstance. Which, in this particular instance, is the lesser evil?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:23 am

??

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 am

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
... Being a Christian country it only seems logical the tone of the Nation would be to follow the Ten Commandments…one of which is, “You shall not kill.” A simple command. It doesn’t say it’s okay to kill for one reason, or another…it simply says…you can’t kill other people. If someone kills one, or two, even three people, we label them a murderer... Strange, I can’t find where the God of the bible gives any exemptions to that one commandment to anyone, for any reason? ...

I was just replying to this. The god of the bible does give exemptions for killing. Plenty of them. And many of them are extreme.

Anything else becomes a theological / moral debate and I am not going to hijack this thread for that.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:52 am

I guess time will tell if what Jobs did was good, or bad.

Last edited by Domenic Pappalardo on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 pm

alice wrote:
A person can be a conscientious objector and thus avoid killing , if they so choose.
My brother and husband opted this way-I am glad .

The idea of living with a killer does not appeal to me.

I know not everyone joins the military for the same reasons.

But my son has always cared about protecting those weaker and contributing to his community and country. He became a firefighter to protect. He became a peace officer to protect. And he joined the Army to protect.

He would (and maybe he has, he won't tell me) kill to protect his fellow American, his family, those who are weak, and his country.

I don't live with a killer ... I live with a protector.

I just hate to imagine what could happen to this country if we didn't have those willing to serve.

Back to your original post. I agree Steve Jobs contributed a lot to technology. I've always preferred a Mac over a PC. He will be remembered as a brilliant man.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Ann and JoElle,

Thank you both for your thoughtful, well -reasoned responses.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 12:49 pm

JoElle wrote:
Back to your original post. I agree Steve Jobs contributed a lot to technology. I've always preferred a Mac over a PC. He will be remembered as a brilliant man.

I loved my imac! I changed my avatar to show my allegiance!
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Shelagh,
I am so sorry about your brother also. This opens up old wounds.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Passing of Steve Jobs   The Passing of Steve Jobs Empty

Back to top Go down

The Passing of Steve Jobs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next