Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?

Go down 
+7
LC
Abe F. March
joefrank
Al Stevens
alj
gjhsdik
alice
11 posters
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? Empty
PostSubject: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 am

Did you wear a unform to school?
Do you think kids should wear them now?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
gjhsdik
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:46 am

There is no one better on the site to comment on this than me, as I am a high school student. I can see both sides (points) of the argument. It unifies a school and brings a sens of togetherness. Though It would save money for families should it not have to be worn (it does in Scotland) and I believe most people feel more comfortable in their own clothes and probably work better aswell! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:49 am

It's not a bad idea. There would need to be some way to make it easier and less expensive for parents. A "school store" where the clothes could be produced in large enough quantities that the cost would be kept down - low overhead would help, too.

The best way to do it, I think, would be to have something like Geranimals, so that there might be a color scheme for each school, certain designs for shirts, jackets, slacks, skirts, jumpers, even shorts for hot weather. That would give the children some options. As long as the items were part of the approved line, there would be freedom of choice withing limits.

I loved Geranimals [sic?]. David rebelled against them when he was about 8, and refused to wear anything other than jeans and T-shirts, but if the schools set the limits, parents might have an easier time of it.

As far as their effectiveness, I think it would be a very good thing. It would equalize the individuals, and give them a sense of belonging to a group. It would also eliminate the fine line between acceptable and unacceptable dress code questions.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 am

I don't like uniforms. Particularly on children. Particularly when they are forced to wear them. So, my vote is "No."

Flea Campbell, a friend of mine who played trumpet in big bands titled his memoirs, "Don't Bury Me in a Tuxedo."

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Bury-Tuxedo-Daryl-Campbell/dp/1436370442
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 am

3/30/2011

When I went to school in New York, you had to wear a
shirt and tie, the teachers ruled, my mother taught us
that the teachers were in charge from 9-3 , and she
better not hear about anything wrong. That's when
parent';s taught their children to respect elders, teachers,
etc, this was public school...In the last 10 years or so I've
noticed teachers dress like slobs, the kids are out of hand
and the parent's don't discipline , kids get too much too
soon....Oh yes, no uniforms, but a dress code....

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 10:59 am

Maybe the teachers need more pay.
Actually, the teachers my kids had were a big improvement over mine

My teachers belonged in jail--amd they were the boss. They were mean through and through.
It was a church school too.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 am

3/30/2011

Alice..

I've read a school teacher can retire after so many
years on $68,000 a year, I'm sure teachers in the 1950's
and early 1960's didn't make that kind of money. To me
it's the parents they don't discipline their kids and they
no respect for anyone...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:11 am

Joe,

Times change!
I wouldn't want to teach, be a parent, or be a student today.
Guess being an old person is right for me. lol!

The caretakers of small children, elderly folks and teachers are the lowest paid and the most difficult jobs now, or at least it seems that way.

The teachers have to continually update their credentials, and be on the lookout for everything. Things which would have been passed off in past years as childish behaviour are now crimes.

A very good first grade teacher lost her job because two of her students--both males compared anatomical parts under a picnic table.

She didn't see them do it. It is hard to see everything.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Quote :
In the last 10 years or so I've noticed teachers dress like slobs, the kids are out of hand and the parent's don't discipline , kids get too much too soon....Oh yes, no uniforms, but a dress code....

I've read a school teacher can retire after so many years on $68,000 a year,

Well, Joe, as to the first part I've quoted, I retired nearly 9 years ago. but I can tell you that I didn't notice anything close to your statement. I have been several times in the last few years to the school where my daughter is an administrator, and certainly did not see those situations there, either. Teachers have rather strict dress codes. Students have them, too, and will sometimes try to push the limits - teenagers are like that - always have been - it's a natural part of growing up.

That's why I think uniforms might be a good idea, especially now, when we need to develop more of a sense of togetherness and community than we need to stress individualism.

As to the retirement pay - how much was this teacher making, who could retire on $68.000 a year? And where did s/he teach, to earn such ample retirement?

Most of the teachers I know would love to hear about this wonderful place. I'm not going into my own retirement pay, except to say that for the last several years I worked, I worked an extra block, which did increase my salary enough so that I could afford to retire when I did, but that option is not available to many, and even with that extra 25% added to my salary during those years, I can tell you that my pension is nowhere near that. And I live in a state with an excellent pension plan compared to other states.

I taught mostly "at risk" students - those with serious problems, financially and socially, and many of them were angry and hostile when I first met them, but the teachers I knew and worked with were generally patient, understanding and well-informed people who cared about their jobs and their students and were able to help the students accomplish a great deal. The students were generally responsive and were willing to do the hard work of learning so that they could better themselves when they graduated - and most of them did graduate.

Public school teaching is a difficult job, and is being made even more difficult today as it seems to be the first place state governments are looking to reduce expenses - to the point that many teachers next fall will be looking at a classroom size of 40 students.

I'm afraid I do not understand your attitude in this particular circumstance.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm

I think uniforms are a good idea. Parents know what to buy and the kids know what they will wear each day. As Ann pointed out, a retailer would be pleased to carry uniforms, at resonable prices, that they know will sell.

The cost of the latest fads, designer jeans, shoes, etc., is a hardship on parents. The kids want to fit in and feel they are owed the latest fads. If everyone wore the same things, it is possible that there would be more concentration on studies than on what someone is wearing.

The best input is from kids who wore uniforms to school and from parents who supplied them.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 pm

And this was 1961!!!

When I was a senior in high school.

Ann
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 pm

3/30/2011

Ann..

NYC school teachers..

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Joe,

My son's father-in-law taught high school in NYC. He was a department head as well. He had a PhD, so his salary would have been higher than average, and retirement is based on salary.

The school where he was teaching when he retired had dress codes for teachers and students, and the students were well taught and able to behave.

Ann
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm not opposed to uniforms. My kids' public schools have dress codes, and I like that they're enforced. If uniforms are for the goals of school spirit, cohesiveness and such, and actually fulfill those goals, great. I don't think uniforms eliminate competition in clothing, though, because such competition will manifest itself via designer handbags, iPhones, iPads, crystal keychains and other such toys and accessories. And, of course, the age-old competition with looks (some have 'em, some don't).

And it's not like the kids don't see each other's street clothing during school dances and other events.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 6:20 pm

Whatever--just so they wear something. lol!
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 8:19 pm

3/31/2011

I still say the parent's are the blame, they have to set
the rules how a kid dresses, how to have manners, how
not to get in trouble, how not to use drugs, how not to
get pregnant....Call me old fashion, this is how I would
teach a child.. The parent's are in charge not the child.
I think TV has a lot to do with what goes on...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Joe,

You are a typical non-parent. They are the only ones who know how to rear kids. It ain't easy.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 9:20 pm

3/31/2011

I have Dusty, that's enough for me !

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 pm

Joe,
you have good insights.
Kids are already uniformly dressed. The difference. Some rich kid trendsetter decides what the dress will be. Don't you just love it when you see kids wearing pants with the crotch down to their knees, or jeans with holes or patches on them?
When my parents patched our trousers we didn't want to wear them. Now the kids take good clothes and cut holes in them to be trendy. It's all crap

Parents need to be in charge, not their kids. Any wonder why there are juvenile delinquents? The delinquents are parents that don't do any parenting. Having a kid is easy. Raising a kid is not easy. It requires love, understand and discipline. Yes, discipline!

I think we form our opinions based on our environment and experience. Mine is country where there was a woodshed that had more than one function.

When the kids can buy their own clothes, then they can decide on what to buy. Whoever is doing the buying, is in charge.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:35 am

Raising an only child is no problem but getting them down off that high pedestal you put them on?
That's the problem!
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 am

Teenagers are teenagers. I don't really see that much difference between generations. Our parents and grandparents said the same things.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 3:01 am

Yes, Ann, they did. Children are not born into our world; they are born into theirs.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 5:16 am

Once again, I favor a sensible uniform. Abe is correct: there is already a uniform. Those students who don't "get it" find other ways to "belong" to other uniform groups.

Many parents today do not parent. Families are split by mutiple divorces and split authority, single parents, dual working parents, grandparents raising children, multiple families in a household, immigrant families, extreme impoverished homeless families, and the list goes on.

Sensible uniforms provide continuity and a sense of community in a well-run school.

My school had a dress code. I sent children home (called parents first) who came to school nearly naked (it was a school of choice where students were required to have their own transportation). One young lady (age 14) consistently came to school with a deep cleavage and her naval jewelry showing. Finally, I suspended her.

Her mother came to school and filed a complaint that I picked on her daughter who "always came to school appropriately dressed." Because she took her complaint to the highest levels, I ended up defending the weak code that applied to all district schools and had to prove it applied equally to all students.

A uniform makes it clear that the standard applies equally to all and removes a "matter of opinion."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 am

My kids were watched like hawks--I was the hawk. They saw little TV and we took family vacations. They were intellligent and imagnitive. Their dad was a wonderful father. They had three sets of grandparents who were too busy to help us with them.

During the teen years, life was a constant battle. The school was a nightmare. They were bored and underacheived in every area except provoking the principal.

In college, they came alive and are both successful people now. Uniforms would have made my life much easier.

Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 5:21 pm

When I was younger and spent a year in England, we wore uniforms to school and I loved it. There was no worry about what to wear and my parents figured that buying the uniforms cost less than buying clothes would have. I think they are a great idea, for many of the reasons you cite here.
That's my 10 cents worth. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?   Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do You think Children Should Wear Uniforms to School?
Page 1 of 1