Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Thinking again

Go down 
+2
Abe F. March
Betty Fasig
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 5:04 pm

I was wondering if a story could be written entirely in text message codes. Being out of things by a good mile, I looked up the codes.

Here it is.
http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

This night, I will go to bed and read some more of The House Of Seven Gables. I understand every word of the story. That is a comfort to me.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Do you think the day will come when writing a coherent sentence with proper grammer is no longer important?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 4:24 am

No, but language is a process that continues to change, so as new stuff comes in, it will gradually become part of what is considered coherent and proper.

What I keep hoping will pass out of fashion is the whole texting concept. I just do not get the fun in typing with one's thumbs on a tiny keyboard.

Betty, our old friend has something to say about writing that we can understand:

Quote :
What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from. And every phrase
And sentence that is right (where every word is at home,
Taking its place to support the others,
The word neither diffident nor ostentatious, An easy commerce of the old and the new,
The common word exact without vulgarity,
The formal word precise but not pedantic, The complete consort dancing together)
Every phrase and every sentence is an end and a beginning,
Every poem an epitaph. And any action
Is a step to the block, to the fire, down the sea's throat
Or to an illegible stone: and that is where we start.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 6:47 am

The statistics regarding the number of people txting seem to support it as a communication method here to stay. However, I used to write in "shorthand" - the original and even it changed over the years and is now a dinasaur that only a few of us still know. I still use it - and it is similar in its substitution for words to the txt lingo of today. There was another shorthand that came along that used letters - but it had limited appeal. Gregg shorthand flowed as letters are choppy. However, texting may be replaced by audio or video communication without the need of the written word since everyone walks around with a device on their head as it is....my mom has even agreed to get hearing aids because something in your ear is no longer a sign of age...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 6:48 am

I forgot to mention that hearing aids may be programmed to blue tooth so you get more for your investment....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 7:28 am

"...don't say I don't love you betty, here you go then, good luck with that novel written in n0bbie..." remarked the goblin often using this link as a rebuff to someone who can't read his posts, adding "...try it out then, just copy/paste the text then press the translate button, enjoy..."

http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html

Thinking again Dance9

Last edited by fleamailman on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2010-10-14

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 7:43 am

The House of the Seven Gables, reminds me of a very dear friend of mine, Beth Hapgood who was cousin to Charles Hapgood who wrote, among others, "Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings."

Beth wrote of a house on 101 Main St., in Springfield Mass.

I’d call Beth and when she answered I’d say, "Beth, this is your very best friend in the whole world!" She’d reply, "Jim you are the most arrogant person I know, and what makes you think I even like you!"

Things would go on from there ...

James
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks, Goblin!

Here is the Note From Wooffer's Mom that precedes the stories, translated.

A NOT3 FROM WOFER’S MOM
BNG A DOG WOF3R HAS A CONECTION WIT AL TEH OTHER LIEF TAHT 3XISTS AROUND HIM FROM TEH SMALEST INS3CT 2 TEH LARGEST MMMAL WHICH SI MA!11!11!! OMG WTF LOL H3 SI ACQUANETED WIT DA BUTERFLEIS DA SQUIRALS TEH RABITS AND DA ARMADILOS DA CATS AND TEH RACONS TEH P3ACOK AND TEH CHIKAN DA GRASHOPERS AND TEH WORMS TEH LADY BUGS AND DA BIRDS!1!1!!!! OMG NOTHNG 3SCAEPS HIS NOTIEC!!1!!!11! OMG HE SI INT3REST3D IN 3V3RYON3 AND 3VERYTHNG!11!!11! AN 3GR3T CANOT HAEV PASAD TAHT HA DID NOT KNOW IT PASED BY!1!1!1! OMG WTF LOL 3VERY MOUES RAT MOL3 OR VOL3 LEAEVS ITS SCENT!!1!1!! LOL WOF3R KNOWS TH3M AL BY HAART!!1!11! WTF EV3RY LIZARD AND SKINK HAS L3FT A MARK AND A TRALE FOR HIM 2 FOLOW!111!11 OMG
WOFER ALSO L3AEVS A SCANT TRALE FOR AL DA OTH3R CR3ATURES 2 FOLOW!!!!1!! OMG WTF LOL IT WAS IENVITABLE TAHT THEY AL FOUND AACH OTHER AND BCMA FREINDS!!1!11!! OMG WOFAR SI A SMAL DOG IN A VAST WORLD!1!11!1!! H3 DO3S ONLEY LITL3 DOG THNGS BUT HE CHANGED HIS WORLD IN SMAL WAYS TAHT HAEV MAED A BIG DIF3RENCA!111!!1 OMG LOL AVARY ANIMAL SMAL OR LARGE (TAHT’S ME) HAS HAD A BTER LIEF B/C WOFER SI HARE!!!1!!1!1 WTF

Maybe, I should translate the whole book and set it up on Amazon for a Kindle.

The mind boggles.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 am

(the goblin welcomed james to this madness then, saying "...not to be fooled by appearances here, betty and I are, in fact, very sane grownups...")

...ah yes, vast improvement betty, as in books downloaded to your mobile phone MYAHAHAHA..." joked the goblin now, who actually just read it straight off, knowing that "omg lol" was the full stop here, as if the odd thing, if not the alarming thing depending, was the ease with which one soon gets used to different writing styles, adding "...it's like shakespeare, or french for that matter, after a while one doesn't even notice how it is written for what one is following in ones mind at the time..."

Thinking again Pablo-Picasso-Two-Girls-Reading
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 10:26 am

dkchristi wrote:
The statistics regarding the number of people txting seem to support it as a communication method here to stay. However, I used to write in "shorthand" - the original and even it changed over the years and is now a dinasaur that only a few of us still know. I still use it - and it is similar in its substitution for words to the txt lingo of today. There was another shorthand that came along that used letters - but it had limited appeal. Gregg shorthand flowed as letters are choppy. However, texting may be replaced by audio or video communication without the need of the written word since everyone walks around with a device on their head as it is....my mom has even agreed to get hearing aids because something in your ear is no longer a sign of age...

DK,
I took Gregg shorthand while in highschool. I used it from time to time for taking notes. I remember the secretaries who took shorthand until the bosses began using recording devices. With texting, it seems shorthand is returning, although in a different form.

When is the last time anyone here wrote a letter to someone in long hand?
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 11:40 am

The more I think about publishing Wooffer in TEXT MESSAGING format, the better the idea sounds to me. After all, it is stories for the 12 year old. Any ideas about this? Should it be a series of ebook stories that can be downloaded to cell phones? What think you all?

I googled it and do not find anyone else having done it. Of course if it really took off, I would have to dedicate it to our goblin.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 1:25 pm

("...ah but I'm anonymous betty..." smiled the goblin now appreciating the thought though)
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Ah! But you know, goblin, that many dedications are to a single name, like ..."These stories are dedicated to Edith" ...or some such name that only the dedicatee (I hope that is a word) would know who they are. The anonymous goblin could still be dedicated to and not lose his anonymous status.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 10:58 pm

"...ah betty, that's very nice of you..." started the goblin, then saying "...but there are so many goblins out there on forumland that would anyone actually know it's me I wonder, besides, imagine if the next goblin to appear were some homicidal maniac, or worse, someone who agreed with sarah palin's ecopolitical policies of "me whatever whenever" here, how would your conscience be quite so clear after that I wonder..."

Thinking again TheGreenMile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thinking again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking again   Thinking again Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking again
Page 1 of 1