Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Thinking of moving to Canada?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12302
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:38 pm

... think  again. 

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8154
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:10 pm

3/23

Shelagh

Video doesn't play ?

Cheers.Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:52 pm

Joe, click on the video to load it on youtube.

Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15294
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:16 pm

I won't move anywhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:50 pm

3/23

I finally found it !

Cheers....Joe... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10220
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:03 am

Good Video and the message is clear.  It's all about religion.  I think George Carlin's video:  "Religion is Bullshit" is becoming more real than just a comedy routine.  Anyone who is a history buff has learned that religion was the cause of many wars and it seems to be repeating itself.
I suspect that before long people will be identified as:  Christian American, Muslim American, Jewish American, etc.  The extreme Right wing in America is more dangerous than previously thought.  They want a theocracy that is "Christian".  At the same time, they do not practice the values that the term represents.  It has become a title and that is the "Bullshit" of religion.  Deciding what one should wear or not wear as clothing is not much different than wearing a religious symbol around the neck (a Cross, Star of David, Crescent, etc.).  Why does one feel the need to promote their religion?  It turns me off even though it is well-intended by many.  A symbol does not define a person.  How one lives their life (their faith) says it all. 
It may be over simplistic, but I believe that if you take religion out of the equation, you will have a greater chance for peace.  
Wearing the burka is just another religious symbol.  When stopped by the police, the Burka covering the head/eyes must be removed for identification.  Some have objected to that based on religious grounds and although that may have worked in some places, the police doing their job must identify the person they apprehend as a suspect and removing the burka is necessary. 
Based on my comments and feeling about religion and religious symbols, it should not be surprising for me to say that seeing someone wearing a burka is a turn off.  When I travelled throughout the Middle East in strict Islamic countries, it was a common sight.  In more western influenced areas like Beirut, those wearing the burka stood out.  They just didn't fit into the local culture.  To become part of the society in which you choose to live means adjustments are required.  A person is judged first by appearance.  Education is required for immigrants if they are expected to be accepted into the society in which they live. JMO.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:31 am

I agree, Abe; the burka is offensive. Not because it is a religious symbol such as a cross on a chain, but because it is a statement of oppression. Women who wear the burka claim to do so by choice, but the burka is as medieval as the chastity belt that women were forced to wear while their husbands fought in battles overseas during the Middle Ages. What modern woman would choose to wear a chastity belt?

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:06 am

I think that indoctrination of any immigrant/migrant should be given highest priority. 
Becoming familiar with the laws of the country is important, however indoctrination into the culture of the country is even more important.  It is a time to be frank and not pussy-foot around.  Explaining that religion does not control how people live.  Women especially need to know that they have freedom to lives their lives without men or religion controlling them.  "Breaking out" from their restrictive lifestyle can be encouraged knowing that they will have protection in their new country.  They must be encouraged to "fit in"  - to be accepted and what is required to do that.  Education of how a society views others has much to do with how they dress.  Do they want to be isolated or be integrated with their new country?   JMO
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:38 am

3/24

I will be moving to Canada my father's homeland, Montreal region....
   I can't stand the political climate anymore, Abe I think you should come back 
   to the USA where you'll be safe.......

Cheers........Joe......... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8585
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:55 am

I remember when I picked up my 14 year old son after he ran from home to live on his own in the big city.  I didn't recognize him.  His head was shaved but for one long, blond lock of hair in a pig tail. He had on ripped clothes sewn with rawhide with peace signs painted on a black leather jacket.

I still loved him.  He was still my son.  He was making a statement as were many others of his "lost" generation that dressed in that fashion with purple hair, piercings everywhere and strange clothes.

When I see Indian women in their lovely silk wrapped dresses with slacks underneath I think how functional that is - it looks feminine yet has slacks for whatever event requires something more flexible than a dress - and the dress material is always beautiful.  They wear some sort of dot in their frown spot.  I don't know much about their customs, but they have lovely costumes.

In Germany, I wore a drindl often with my friend when we walked her baby in the carriage. It was rather practical for a mom with it's own decorative apron and a white blouse that could be washed more often than the dress itself.

I don't like the choices that many people make for the clothing their wear or the statements they make with their hair, clothing, jewels, piercings and whatever whether religious or sectarian.  I think the young men with their shorts and pants hanging with the crotch at their knees is disgusting, but I don't pass that disgust onto the young men - the clothes are even manufactured that way to look the part without falling off.

I think the world needs a 12 step program and a personal inventory system used by those programs where the concentration is on improving one's own behavior and outlook and relationships rather than passing judgment on someone else's.

When I lived on the sailboat, many people didn't bother to wear clothes at all in the privacy of their boats - and we were docked next to boats from Europe where they didn't wear clothes in the docks either.  I didn't much think it was appropriate but who was I to judge?  When one lives aboard a sailboat and sails around the world, there's not much room to store clothing or much convenient for washing it so - why not?

All these things are a matter of opinion whether they are acceptable or not.  When I moved to California as a young woman of 18, I was shocked at the skimpy clothing young people were allowed to wear to school compared to my own experiences in Michigan.

If people wish to wear their crosses, their burka's, their little black tams, their beards, their high hats, their pigtails - those things are not the issue in my book.  The issue is following the golden rule that seems to be present in most religions - treat others as you wish to be treated.

It is how we live and treat others that makes the difference in relationships.  I am no more afraid of Islam than any other religion.  I am afraid of people who have mental issues that drive them to fanaticism and drive them to lead others to those fanatic beliefs.  I am afraid of people who choose to hate - a choice as clear as the road rage I choose to talk down rather than express when I am put in danger by a stupid driver.

I see that poverty across the globe feeds fear, resentment, and hate.  When we find the answer to ending poverty and finding meaningful work for those who need it, that is a start in the right direction, whether it is in our impoverished cities, Appalachia or foreign soil. It seems to me that the mega-billion corporations with all their "held" wealth could make a contribution to that effort greater than a few are doing already. If we stopped warring, incarcerating and killing and put the cost into education and small business start-ups - what a different world we'd have.

However, there is profit in hatred through weapons, the spoils of war, the resources at the crux of some conflicts, etc. 

The Creator provided a globe without marked boundaries that has all the human race needs to live well.  A lot of sharing, less hoarding, open borders, affiliations for sharing wealth instead of protecting it - will go a lot further than blaming and hating anyone, even those that do us harm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:04 am

And on the subject of religion - the beautiful thing about the mind is our opportunity to bring in new information and use it to make new choices.  We have the choice to love or hate regardless of the religion into which we were born, raised or chose. In my opinion it's very similar to "love of money is at the root of evil."  Money is inanimate.  It is the user that makes the difference.  Religion is but a set of rules and statements to explain the unknown and guide a person's life choices. Obviously, in a world as diverse as this one, many people will find different sets of rules and beliefs work better for them. The problem is not recognizing that my freedom to believe a certain way does not give me the right to force another to believe the same. As different as our brains are, we will adjust to the world differently and need different explanations and rules.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:36 am

My mother feels physically sick at the sight of piercings and tattoos. This is not caused by intolerance; it is, for my mother, as natural a reaction from a visual stimulus as nausea is from a noxious smell.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:33 am

DK You expressed your feelings well and I can't disagree on most of it.  What one must keep in mind is the "acceptance" factor.  Does one want to stand out and make some statement by sporting tatoos, earrings in the nose, clothes that are distracting/ugly?  I don't have to like what I see, however that doesn't give me the right to publicly humiliate anyone.  I choose my friends.  On FB, one can "unfriend" someone who is abusive or just doesn't fit the mold of the person you want to associate with.  In life, we tend to choose our friends.  They can choose to reciprocate our offer of friendship. 
When I traveled in the M.E., especially in Saudi Arabia, the women while in their homes wore western clothes.  When they went outside the home, they put on the burka.  Many traveled with their husbands to Paris, bought the latest style clothing and wore that while in Europe.  Many of these women are very beautiful.  It is sad that they must cover up that beauty.  A husband is normally proud to show-off his wife while some become jealous if another many gives her attention.  With the burka, there is no chance of that. I can appreciate the feelings of Shelagh's mother.  How we were raised and lived remain with us.  No one can force us to like anything.  The only thing we can do is build up a level of tolerance that enables us to cope.

Joe, I feel more safe where I live than anywhere I would find in the States.  People not carrying guns is a big plus.  Large cities, anywhere in the world, where crime is more prevelant.  Terrorists look for crowded areas to blow themselves up or plant explosive devices.  Being cautious wherever one lives is prudent.  However, living in fear is not a life worth living.  The news reported that the reaction of Germans to the recent events in Brussels will not affect their travel plans.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:29 pm

I am grateful that when I traveled to dangerous places I was too ignorant to know I was in danger. Many religions in the U.S. have dress codes, the Amish for example.

My friend lived in Turkey with her husband in his family's compound (of many acres and many married and unmarried children and grandchildren etc. etc. When in the compound, the women were pretty much free to dress and do as they wished among the family members.  When they went out the gate they were completely covered except their eyes. My friend found it freeing not to be concerned about what to wear when leaving the compound. Outside the compound she was also never alone. When her husband died in an accident, she returned to the states because as a widow she had no status and owned nothing. She didn't find returning to the U.S. lifestyle any better than the life she lived - and actually missed the protection and the companionship of the large, caring family. Here, she had to go to work.  There, women were discouraged from education or work though it was not forbidden.

Every person has different needs and hopefully meet them without harming others. I figure if there's someone whose appearance mortifies, don't look.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:55 pm

I have no problem at all with people dressing and living as they wish. I have two transgender friends on facebook, one of whom is an author. Both dress as women; both are married to female partners. I accept them as human beings, but not as  women. They wish to be treated as women, and that's okay, but I don't buy into the idea that a man can change sex and become a woman. Transgenders say that they think like the opposite gender to which they were born, but no one has any real concept of how someone else thinks. Men and women think alike in some respects and differently in others, to varying degrees of similarity. If men wish to dress and behave like women, and vice versa, then as long as they don't expect me to play along with the fantasy world they create for themselves, I'm fine with them living their life as whomever and whatever they want to be. It bothers me that the President of the United States of America cannot tell the difference between Bruce Jenner and a woman: something that is obvious to most people. It brings into doubt his judgement on other more important matters, which is worrying.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Canada?   

Back to top Go down

Thinking of moving to Canada?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: