Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Something I've been Thinking Over...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ViktorH

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-08

Something I've been Thinking Over... Empty
PostSubject: Something I've been Thinking Over...   Something I've been Thinking Over... EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 6:46 am

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some input on an idea that's been simmering in my head for quite some time. 

I am thinking of starting a small business called "book quilts". The idea is to create bed quilts that have classic novels printed to cover the entire surface of the quilt. I first came across the idea after a classmate of mine started a company called Postertext - where a novels content is used to form an entire poster. Then I came across Spinlessbooks - more or less the same premise as Postertexts except that the entire novel is used each other - resulting in some rather large posters.

In the meanwhile, I purchased a cheap bed quilt here for the coming winter that happened to be covered in random letters of the alphabet. This got me to thinking - if an entire classic novel can fit on a larger poster, it maybe be possible to have it printed on bed quilts as well. I would just like to get some opinions on the idea. I have the feeling this adds to the bedtime reading atmosphere - literally wrapping yourself up in a favourite book of yours. Please let me know what you think. 

I know there may be issues with printing that small (and legibly) on a quilt, as well as copywrite (I can only use pubilc domain books) but strictly speaking about the idea - what do you think?

I think it would be really cool to have a Hobbit one.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Something I've been Thinking Over...   Something I've been Thinking Over... EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 7:35 am

I think it's a great idea for children's picture books.

Here are some samples of printed pages from Beatrix Potter:

http://www.quiltersstore.com.au/_products/Quilting+Fabrics+by+Designer/Beatrix+Potter-1376.aspx

If you intend printing the pages yourself, here's some helpful advice:

http://www.catswhoquilt.com/photoquilts.html
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Something I've been Thinking Over...   Something I've been Thinking Over... EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 9:41 am

I agree with Shelagh.  How about a quilt with love poems?  I have done some applique quilts that came out quite nicely.  Some were replicas of a childs drawing, such as the ones that go on the refrigerator door.  Using patterned prints instead of solid colors.  The parents have kept these quilts all their lives.  Good luck with your adventure.  
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Something I've been Thinking Over...   Something I've been Thinking Over... EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 am

I agree with Shelagh and Betty - target special audiences:  children, new mothers, lovers (wow, that can be creative!) I think of those little halmark books about why I love my mother, etc.  Might even go into the dog quilt arena since dogs seem to be preferable to children these days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Something I've been Thinking Over...   Something I've been Thinking Over... EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 1:56 pm

DK, You have a very fine mind!  I can see small blankets with the very dog or cat's breed  picture on it and a  name or a poem or saying about cats or dogs.  How cool that would be.  These days, one can print the person's very own pet picture on material and make the quilt.  I would be happy to have one of Wooffer's stories on a quilt.  
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Something I've been Thinking Over...   Something I've been Thinking Over... EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Sounds like a good idea, Betty.  Give it a try.
Back to top Go down
ViktorH

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Something I've been Thinking Over...   Something I've been Thinking Over... EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 8:30 am

Thank you for the honest replies. 

An Odyssey quilt would definitely be one of the books I would like to use. 

I do not believe I can patent this - but I could definitely build a brand around it and trademark the name. 

The print size is a problem - but not in the sense of legibility. The manufactures I have spoken too have already informed me - printing on these materials - the fonts can only be so small -much larger than standard size 12 Microsoft Word text. The text has to be large enough to be printable, and withstand possible shrinking after washing. This of course limits the amount of content I can find on the cover as well. 

It seems the business would have to cater to individual needs - thus customizable (to a certain degree). Therefore the quilts would be more expensive - but also of a higher quality. I believe quality is the way to go in this situation. People may be willing to pay more for a quilt that is unique to their selection. 

The problem with this is finding the right manufacturing and what kind of selection I can offer for customization. Perhaps "Odyssey" could be offered in a selection of materials, templates, pictures/non pictures, text styles, text selection, etc...

Otherwise, trying to sell a single version quilt of a single book to everyone could be very difficult. Customization has it's own problems though.

I did not think to do a "kids version" up to this point either. Perhaps not a bad idea... Could be a great way to encourage reading at a young age. 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something I've been Thinking Over...   Something I've been Thinking Over... Empty

Back to top Go down

Something I've been Thinking Over...
Page 1 of 1