Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Mosque at 9/11 site

Go down 
+6
Abe F. March
joefrank
alj
Domenic Pappalardo
alice
LC
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:09 am

This problem is as old as religion itself. Every time Jerusalem was smashed down, new religious buildings were built on the same site as the old ones. Temple Mount is the holiest site for Judaism and, among Muslims, is considered to be the third holiest site in Islam. The juxtaposition of these two symbols of different religions is the cause of a conflict that will never be resolved.

If we were wise enough to learn from past mistakes, we would not allow different religions the right to build in capital cities where, by doing so, instead of spreading love and understanding among communities, it causes conflict and hatred.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:23 am

Shelagh,

You are so right and think of the money that could be saved.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:30 am

I guess those who wish to worship take a train out of the capital city to worship? Some religions divide whole states into sections and plant churches that people in that region are to attend. Others put a building on any corner and invite anyone from anywhere. So long as we remain a country that encourages freedom to worship, places of worship may pop up anywhere the zoning fits. Personally, I like those places of worship where the "church" is represented by the people and the building is insignificant. However, that's my personal, spiritual orientation. For some people the building itself is as important as the worship.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 10:39 am

If a constitution can allow and provide for a nationwide capital city that is apart from any State, it can set aside areas within State capital cities that are religion-free zones.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 11:07 am

Hmmm; need to think about that a bit. :-)
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Schools are religion free zones.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 5:18 pm

By the way, all the politicians who rant against building this "mosque" are lying to us. It isn't to be a mosque. It was never to be a mosque. It will be some kind of community center with a gymnasium. A basketball court. Jeez, what's the big deal?

Now, if they were going to build it next to Madison Square Garden...
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Al, that's what just grinds me to anger. Those with ulterior motives pick the sound bite that offends and inflames and put it out there where the unsuspecting who are in economic misery latch onto it to ease their woes. They latch onto half-truths and out of context bits and turn them into a hate frenzy. Then someone has to waste their time trying to defend a position about something that was never actually said, but that fact gets lost.

The contest between McCollom & Scott is sound bite collector's orgy. Neither have said any substantive thing other than biting each other with their past statements and past lives. Their potential opponent, Alex Sink, is on my bad list for her management of Safe Florida Home; so, I have no viable choice for governor of my state. When she started running an ad, she put them in the background quarreling and then had the gaul to say she was the candidate who wasn't going to stoop to negative ads.......
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Churches, especially those with TV programs and high income levels, are in business to create business and should be taxed.
Taxing churches and pastors who enjoy a free ride would soon eliminate the deficit. Money would be available to create jobs and reduce the need for handouts by charity organizations. As a start, churches that preach politics should lose their status as a tax-free haven.

The current situation re. ground zero is political. If it were religious, the values of religious tolerance would not be in opposition.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:57 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Churches, especially those with TV programs and high income levels, are in business to create business and should be taxed.
Taxing churches and pastors who enjoy a free ride would soon eliminate the deficit. Money would be available to create jobs and reduce the need for handouts by charity organizations. As a start, churches that preach politics should lose their status as a tax-free haven.

The current situation re. ground zero is political. If it were religious, the values of religious tolerance would not be in opposition.

I agree. Churches are big business. Instead of helping matters, they are fueling the furor.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 12:54 pm

I just read a WSJ letter to the editor that was great. The writer said that when Obama nominated Sotomayor he spoke at length about the importance of the "empathy factor." Remember that, and the "wise Latina" flap? The writer asked why isn't the empathy factor a factor here. Good question!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:18 pm

This is sort of off topic, but I agree that churches should not be tax exempt. There are many organizations that should not be tax exempt. Once taxation is figured into the budget, it's like any other expense. The business has to balance income and costs all around in order to pay taxes.

Think about it: I donate money to my church. I get a tax deduction for that donation. The church receives the income and does not pay taxes. That's two times the state has lost out in the name of religion.

I've worked for many non profit organizations where those at the top of the executive hierarchy made horrific salaries. They had to budget for those salaries. The principles also kept all hotel and airline points from employee travel in their own accounts by using a company credit card to pay for all things. They traveled to every conference available to rack up points and experiences for themselves.

Believe me, the word "non-profit" is often a very nice profit for someone; just not the government.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm not particularly keen on organized religious dogma anyway. I see more harm than good come from people blindly following a specific faith. Some of the worst bigots and hypocrits speak the words but don't walk them. And which "religions" are really "true" religions. I have friends who hold services in their livingroom - is their house a church?

When I worked in the Keys, however; I had a colleague who attended a church in Miami. It was a combined set of churches whose trustees decided the little differences in their dogma and in their congregations were small compared to God's work they could do together. They set a new mission: to make service the primary work of the church. They have ministries to all kinds of misfit groups of people who attend Sunday services in the same church as some of the wealthiest in Miami. They have made progress to improve the lives and futures of hundreds of people in Miami with no government help. Now, that's a church that's saving the government money; maybe their tax exemption status is a good thing.

Another organization that is religious oriented, the Salvation Army, also gets my vote. I was disappointed when they refused a donation from a group that did not denounce homosexuality; however, that's the worst I can say.
The money that comes in, the majority goes to serve the needy. There are no high rollers in any executive capacity in the Salvation Army.

If it weren't for all the money juggling shenanigans in politics and business, it would seem that everyone and every business should pay their fair share of taxes. In exchange, businesses and organizations that give back more to the community might get some sort of good Samaritan bonus back from the government.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 9:49 pm

DK,
Honoring the Salvation Army is needed. They provide help without fanfare and huge overheads. Would be interesting to see an analysis of charity organizations, the services rendered, and how the money is spent.

Prior to Martin Luther's significant protest against the Catholic church, all Christians were Catholic. Then came the Protestants, the Reformers, and the spin-offs continued. Today there are hundreds of denominations within the Christian faith, each believing they got it right. Interpretation of flawed scripture continues to create new markets for religion. Marketing religion is big business.

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 5:12 am

I saw just a little of that organization and its services as a young matron in my home town. My mother was on the local board, and was instrumental in setting up a Christmas Toy Store for families who could not afford to buy gifts for their children. She began this work shortly after the death of my younger brother as a way of dealing with her grief. The toy store was a joint venture between the Salvation Army and the local Service League (a version of Junior League for small cities). The Service League's part involved an annual Toy Coffee, where the public was invited to a morning event at the home of one of the League members, the only requisite being to bring a new toy to donate. I acted as chairman of that event one year, and in another, provided my home. I got involved in the SA's end through my mother. Invitations were sent to local families through the Salvation Army's extensive records. Families were invited to come to the Toy Store if they were on the local welfare rolls. The store itself was set up and opened each year at the SA offices, with members of the community manning the store. In addition to the new toys provided by those who attended the coffee (usually about 500 each year), there would be new and slightly used toys which were donated by residents of the city, and there was a group of volunteers who refreshed and repaired the used toys so that you literally could not tell the difference between them and the new ones. For several years in a row, Mom and I would set up the store, along with SA members and volunteers. On the days the store was open, parents would bring their invitations, and a card would be ready to hand a volunteer, indicating the size of the family, ages of the children, and which ones were due a larger gift, like a bicycle, and the volunteer would help the parents with their shopping, which was totally free of charges. Many of the volunteers had at one time been recipients of SA's services, and wanted to pay back.

That tiny bit of what the Salvation Army does, along with my mother's participation on its board, gave me a peek into their operation. I know that they provided clothing, temporary housing, part-time jobs, and food to people who could not afford them. They were not in any way judgmental. They did not in any way force "religion" on the people they served. They did find ways to encourage their clients, in a positive way, to find work and become sustainable again.

They have my vote, and my financial support, even after all these years.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 5:53 am

Mine also, Ann. The SA is an excellent organization.

I loved working for the Red Cross, but know they received some criticism through the years. What we did for tornado survivors often brought tears to my eyes and I miss my involvement. One day one of their volunteers brought me my five year certificate. It was much appreciated.

It sounds like the work you did with your mom meant a great deal.

Love, Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 6:43 am

The Salvation Army seems to be on the right track. I am glad to hear that some organization is not corrupt. You have sold me on them. I shall donate to them more.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mosque at 9/11 site   Mosque at 9/11 site - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mosque at 9/11 site
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4