Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Who do you write like?

Go down 
+11
Domenic Pappalardo
A Ahad
Abe F. March
JoElle
alj
joefrank
jetski
Betty Fasig
dkchristi
alice
Shelagh
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Who do you write like? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 8:52 am

alice wrote:
Who is MPFM?
Mr. Planemaker's Flying Machine
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 am

I am honored.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:51 am

alice wrote:
Lane's analysis of my writing: Encouraging--he was editing a book for me.

My mother and grandmother were English teachers. My daughter is an English and writing teacher, I am a bean counter.

----- Original Message -----
To: "a crooker"
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:50:33 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Writing

Alice,

A quick thought before I turn this gizmo off for the night.

You are not John Dos Pasos or Dorothy Parker or Scott Fitzgerald or Lillian Hellman--each of whom you should read. You are, however, a much better writer than you think you are.

I will not read second rate material. I will not edit second rate material. I will not encourage second rate writers. I am too busy--and much too serious about the written word--to involve myself in writing projects spat out by hopeless wannabes.

You are not one.

I enjoy reading your work. I enjoy editing your work. I take pleasure in helping you polish your work.

Enough said. Go write something.

Best,
Lane

I knew that.
Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 10:17 am

Ann,

He liked your writing and you also.

You knew that.

Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 1:59 pm

An excerpt from HALO comes up - Edgar Allen Poe.
An excerpt from TARNISHED HALO comes up - Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:12 pm

D. J. (Don) Stephens wrote:
An excerpt from HALO comes up - Edgar Allen Poe.
An excerpt from TARNISHED HALO comes up - Edgar Rice Burroughs.

You go for the Edgar's.

I think you write much better than Poe
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Alice,

D. J. (Edgar) Stephens just doesn't roll off the tongue!Who do you write like? - Page 2 Icon_geek
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Hi JoElle. Nice to see you here.

Hi Abe!

Thank you! Who do you write like? - Page 2 572534
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Dear JoElle,
I am glad to see you again. I have read all that you posted. I was thinking about you this day, the travels that you do from coast to coast. I thought about how the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles. How small that seems. I think that you must drive that in a year.
My David said that Japan is 17,000 miles. I think that most people never consider the smallness of our planet here. How very fragile it is.

I am glad to see your voice here again. How are the elves?

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 6:07 pm

"I see pain in your eyes, deep, perhaps a lost love?" Head nods. "A new friend will bring you good news soon. Are you expecting a visitor?" Head nods. "You are a person who attracts close friends. You are too trusting. Some may take advantage of you. Your good nature will bring you good fortune by the next blue moon. In the meantime, let the sorrow you carry go; it will not bring you anything but tears." That will be $15 for five minutes, please. If you would like to see into the future more, we could do another 15 minutes."

"No, that's enough for today. Thank you."

"Margaret! What a fantastic fortune teller! She only held my hands and knew about Harold's passing and Aunt Millie coming to visit next week for the reading of the will by that handsome lawyer I met at the funeral. I think Harold must have left me somethiing because good news is coming by the next blue moon. If he does, I'll have to watch out for the nieces and nephews so they don't take advantage. You know how they work my heart to grant their every wish. I have to stop crying, you know. Why, she even knows about Billie drowning so many years ago and the emptiness it left in my heart. You must have your fortune told also. She's absolutely amazing!"

"Margaret, please give me your hands. Yes, you are suffering a loss; I can see the pain in your eyes. Soon, however, you will be receiving such good news that you will be able to put aside your grieving. It will be brought by a new friend. Are you expecting a guest?" Head nods. "You are so very good natured that you may be taken advantage of; be careful. I see love in your future, don't let it slip away." That'll be $15 unless you'd like me to continue.

"No, that is quite enough, thank you!"

"Brenda you are so right! She knew how sad I've been since my beloved dog died. I think she even knew that Harry plans to bring me a new puppy soon; you know Harry, I met him at the pet shop? I'll have to be careful though, I'm a magnet for stray dogs and cats who take advantage of my good natuare. She predicted love in my future, too. Hmmmm, I wonder about Harry?"
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 9:15 am

Betty Fasig wrote:
Dear JoElle,
I am glad to see you again. I have read all that you posted. I was thinking about you this day, the travels that you do from coast to coast. I thought about how the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles. How small that seems. I think that you must drive that in a year.
My David said that Japan is 17,000 miles. I think that most people never consider the smallness of our planet here. How very fragile it is.

I am glad to see your voice here again. How are the elves?

Love,
Betty

Hi Betty!

Thank you for the warm welcome back.

Yes, I think the United States did shrink for me. My husband and I drive 4,000 - 6,000 miles a week. The variation in miles is just that the economy is still recovering and freight hasn't been consistent. But it is getting better.

Even taking into account our days off, we drive over 200,000 miles a year. We average 1200 miles a day. Our cross country runs (CA to NJ for example) usually take us about two and a half days.

So yes, a 200 or 300 mile road trip to us is like a drive across town.

I worked for a major airline for six years and I think the world shrank a little for me with that job. Especially after flying to Ireland. It is just too easy to jump on a plane and go to the other side of the planet.

Going back to driving, Ireland is such a tiny Island, we drove across it while we were there. (Yes, sat in the wrong seat of the car and drove on the wrong side of the road). Going from Dublin to Galway was not a 'long' trip for us. I think being used to being on the road improved our enjoyment of the country. We explored it pretty well considering our limited time there.

Kind of reminds me of Disneyland's "It's a Small World".

The elves and fairies are being their usual naughty and fun selves.
Who do you write like? - Page 2 Nappingmousefairycropp_

Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 2:04 pm

That was interesting. Flow On Sweet Missouri came out Ursula Le Guin, and my Cuba book came out James Joyce.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Dear Carol,
James Joyce wrote, Trees. I have the tree pictures you sent to me on my wall this day. Lovely, they are.

The thing is, we write like our own self. All of your books are in my shelves. Now really is Once Upon A Time. You are so beautiful! I am so sorry for your pain. Praying is all I can do. I would slap God around a bit if I could on your behalf. He needs to look down on you. I have looked up and stamped my foot when I prayed. God only knows what will happen with that! Lightening, I will take that jolt if it makes you well.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 9:47 pm

David Foster Wallace
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 3:00 am

I dont want to burst anyones bubble here but I tried this with several things I've written and got different results each time.
James Joyce and Dan Brown on my first two attempts.
Try putting a text from the bible in.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 6:15 am

Well, dmondeo, I came up "Dan Brown" too, along with Margaret Atwood for a second try.

It depends on how the computer software is set. Years ago there was a poetry program like this; only it worked in reverse. You put in the words and the poet you preferred, and it turned your words into their poetry. It was pretty clever, but of course the basic premise was wrong. True art is original, no mater how determined one is to copy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 8:29 am

dmondeo wrote:
I dont want to burst anyones bubble here but I tried
this with several things I've written and got different results each
time.
James Joyce and Dan Brown on my first two attempts.
Try
putting a text from the bible in.

Thank you!

I had no bubble to burst. I never take these tests seriously. They are
for fun and giggles.

I KNOW (and hope) I don't write like Chuck Palahniuk. "Fight Club" writing style? I don't think so!

Who do you write like? - Page 2 Icon_geek Who do you write like? - Page 2 Icon_study Who do you write like? - Page 2 Icon_scratch Who do you write like? - Page 2 Lol

Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 2:25 pm

This site is getting a lot of publicity. There's even a lengthy article about it in my local paper. What's the point of it, though? Assuming that the author you're like isn't randomly generated (which I personally think it is), what do you do with this information? Start writing in that author's genre?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do you write like?   Who do you write like? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who do you write like?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2