Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Hooked on TV?

Go down 
+9
zadaconnaway
Shelagh
Karina Kantas
P. Gordon Kennedy
Pam
Pam Kimmell
Sue
flashgordon
Abe F. March
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:33 am

I know some people whose lives are controlled by TV. They watch others become successful in their careers while they get red eyes and a sore, if not a hollow, head. I don’t know why they are called “couch potatoes” because they become pear-shaped. With the remote, the only time they need to get out of their chair is to go to the toilet. On the way back to the TV they pass by the fridge for another beer, and while they’re in the kitchen they grab some more chips. Seems they can’t watch without munching. I’m trying to remember what people did before TV?
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:39 am

They gathered at community places to do the same: watch people and gossip. Now you can just do it in the privacy of your own home. I miss the community aspect of smaller towns and local environments....
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 12:06 pm

I currently live in a small town and that is all there is today when the sun goes down. Except be on the computer. We have one movie theater, 3 bars, 2 restaurants that close at 8pm and a couple of grocery stores that are open to 10pm. I miss the social life big time. We use to teach country/western dancing when we lived in Arizona. Always on the go! Here, nada! I gained 24 pounds the first year we were here.

Oh, for a social life OFF the computer!
Sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Pam Kimmell
One Star Member
One Star Member
Pam Kimmell

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-21

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 12:51 pm

I too live in a small town and in fact it was a concern of mine and my husband's that it might be "too small" for us to adjust from living right outside Washington, DC. Fortunately, we found plenty to do once we looked - the local library and their book store, coffee shops, writing clubs and groups, great little shops on Main Street, etc. At any rate, it didn't wind up putting us on the couch more watching the "tube"....I do admit to enjoying PBS and "using" the television in order to see a great mystery movie on DVD - but I just don't watch TV. I'm a BIG reader and of course writer. Between those two major activities and involving myself with writing groups and the local high school writing students, my life is full.......without TV.
Back to top Go down
http://pamelajunekimmell.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 1:17 pm

I beleive that couch potato is a reference to the potato chips that get eaten as one "vegs" out on the couch. I do a fair bit of vegging in the winter because it is so darned cold, but I try to avoid the chips because they cut the roof of my mouth. Chocolate is just fine with me, except this time of year, when ther re-runs are bad there is something even better...
In this neck of the woods, early to mid March while the temperature still dips below freezing at night, but is warm enough during the day that the sap is running and trees have not budded, marks the visit to the Cabane à Suc, which is loosely French for sugar shack. Inside la cabane is a large cauldron that steams and bubbles through the day and night as maple sap is boiled down into that rich amber otherwise known as maple syrup.
PS. 1 quart of maple syrup starts out as 40 quarts of sap.
I'd love to tell you that I learned about it on TV, but nope, I didn't. You have to go way into the woods to visit majestic maples that have been tapped up to 75 years in a row and see it happen for yourself, smell the cooking pots and then, when it's at just the right temperature and thickness, chuck a ladel full of it on the snow and pull it pack and forth until it is a toffee texture and you can suck on it. Every year, same woods, just like TV reruns except for the taste, smell, cool air and wood fires!!
Can't get that from TV! Great thread Abe!
geek
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 3:25 pm

It seems in these modern times, people have become overly adicted to tv and other passive activities. Sleep Most "couch Potatoes" are not watching educational programs, but are watching mindless, meaningless shows. Unfortunately, this is contributing to obecity and other health problems through inactivity and may also be leading to a "dumbing down" of society through a lack of intellectual stimulation. confused I have never been too keen on watching tv, when I was a little kid I thought it was boring (I would have rather played outside). Now, I do enjoy programs about science, engineering, technology, and arcaeology. At least one can learn something from watching programs of this nature, but for the most part, I still don't watch that much tv; passive activities aren't my style. One final thing I find particularly anoying about tv are the commercials, particualarly the overabundence of them. I get tired of being told every few minutes that I need to buy a new car, ask my doctor about a new pill, or take out a loan. People should be more active both physically and mentally. To keep the body fit, use it; bounce to keep the mind fit, use it. Hooked on TV? 925501
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Interesting replies. Seems we all recognize the hazards of TV and try to counter it with some form of diversion.
I enjoy watching some good DVD's and I also enjoy the educational channels. I get the news first thing in the morning and late at night. I devote time on my PC, writing and interacting with others, as on this forum. Mostly, I do things outside the house. I walk, hike, work in the garden or vineyards. I know that energy creates energy and the more I apply that principle the better I feel.
Yes, TV has become an important part of our lives but I don't think it should dominate it. Some live a life of fantasy that is portrayed on TV. I prefer reading a good book. I can do it at my pace and not at the pace or time demanded by TV programming.
What do you do to prevent addiction to your children or grandchildren?
Back to top Go down
Karina Kantas
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
Karina Kantas

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 1:29 am

I hardly watch TV at all now. I'm too busy online... But then that's an addiction in itself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.urbanhype101.wordpress.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:31 am

Can I digress for a second? Thanks.
What the heck is it with the proliferation of reality shows? Doen't they realize that reality shows have existed for years, but we call them a documentary and actually can learn or at least enjoy some aspect of them. I cannot stand these "reality blockbusters" that pretend to be unscripted and are absolutely awful-- arghh!

So Abe you either own or live close by a vineyard? You've been keeping that secret close to your chest, but no more!! Pass the bottle!

Last edited by Pam on Wed May 14, 2008 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 6:14 am

Pam,
you wouldn't believe it if I told you. I live in a wine village. We are completely surrounded by vineyards. I help to harvest, fill the bottles and of course do my share of testing, tasting. Oh hell, drinking is the right word. Of course I have to vary that with a brewery that is close by. Choices, choices. Always decisions to be made. scratch
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 8:39 am

Cheers Abe! I'll drink to the vineyards! Hooked on TV? Party0036

Pam,

Reality programmes are really wild life programs. People love to watch other forms of life and nature programs are extremely popular (David Attenborough is a household name!)

Watching semi-clad humans in a mock-up environment is no different to watching caged animals. It's a circus with human performers. Not my thing, I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 9:51 am

Sounds lovely Abe - the best of all worlds and you don't have to worry about driving home since it is all within stumbling distance! I think if it was handier to me I too may drink more, except at my age I have started that hot flushing business - add a glass of wine or a pint of beer to that and I instantly look like I've had far too much!

Hey, maybe that's a great premise for a new TV show... not so famous writer, little wine...hosts David Attenborough type for dinner and falls head over heels...ah heck, it's been done. Eleventy hundred times I think! Here's to cirucses and crappy TV folks - because the more that TV stays bad, the more people will be encouraged to read! Hooked on TV? 343621
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 2:26 pm

Pam wrote:
Can I digress for a second? Thanks.
What the heck is it with the proliferation of reality shows? Doen't they realize that reality shows have existed for years, but we call them a documentary and actually can learn or at least enjoy some aspect of them. I cannot stand these "reality blockbusters" that pretend to be unscripted and are absolutely awful-- arghh!

So Abe you either own or live close by a vineyard? You've been keeping that secret close to your chest, but no more!! Pass the bottle!

Hooked on TV? Party0036

Reality shows are worthlsss crap (excuse the language). The only reason the tv networks make them is they're relatively cheap (compared to traditional programming) and the passive "couch Potato" crowd will watch anything as long as they don't have to use their brain while watching. At least, if you watch a documentary, you can actually learn something, unlike reality tv, which teaches nothing and is, again, worthless garbage. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 3:06 pm

I say amen to all of the above. Especially the reality ones. Like Parking Wars, Wife swap, High School Reunion etc. I only need look at their titles to know they are not worth even checking out!

I must confess that I do indulge in some programs. Usually ones dealing with medicine, forensics, cold cases and the like.

Since my activity level is somewhat low, I have TV and the computer for the times when I need to be off my feet. Often, when I am writing, the tv is on, but no one is watching it. When I was in high school I used to crank the radio to study. It forced me to focus on the task at hand, and I think I still do that.

One of my biggest gripes is the way some channels blast their commercials at you and turn down the vloume on good programming. I hate being thrown out of my chair by some joker on tv!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Zada I know what you mean about the commercials and it seems they have been that way for years! I remember babysitting when I was 13 or so, falling asleep on the couch when it got late and the kiddies were in bed, and then I'd get jolted awake by some rotten commercial blaring. Good thing my nerves were steady in those days! affraid
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Pam Kimmell wrote:
I too live in a small town and in fact it was a concern of mine and my husband's that it might be "too small" for us to adjust from living right outside Washington, DC. Fortunately, we found plenty to do once we looked - the local library and their book store, coffee shops, writing clubs and groups, great little shops on Main Street, etc. At any rate, it didn't wind up putting us on the couch more watching the "tube"....I do admit to enjoying PBS and "using" the television in order to see a great mystery movie on DVD - but I just don't watch TV. I'm a BIG reader and of course writer. Between those two major activities and involving myself with writing groups and the local high school writing students, my life is full.......without TV.

I must laugh when I hear 'small town'. We have a little store about three miles from our home, and it closes at 6 p.m.--later in the summer. No restaurants, a little Post office, Grange hall, church, and that is about all we have out here. It is actually not a town, but a small community. There are actually quite a few of them here. In fact, we can boast stop signs for the north and south directions at the intersection!

But we benefit from the peace and quiet.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 3:42 pm

zadaconnaway wrote:
I say amen to all of the above. Especially the reality ones. Like Parking Wars, Wife swap, High School Reunion etc. I only need look at their titles to know they are not worth even checking out!

I must confess that I do indulge in some programs. Usually ones dealing with medicine, forensics, cold cases and the like.

Since my activity level is somewhat low, I have TV and the computer for the times when I need to be off my feet. Often, when I am writing, the tv is on, but no one is watching it. When I was in high school I used to crank the radio to study. It forced me to focus on the task at hand, and I think I still do that.

One of my biggest gripes is the way some channels blast their commercials at you and turn down the vloume on good programming. I hate being thrown out of my chair by some joker on tv!

Speaking of reality programs like High School Reunion, Parking Wars, ect. I've noticed that the tv networks seem to "pound" them and programs like them in their advertising. They don't just let you know when the program is comming on once in a while, but drill it into their audience over and over again. The reason tv networks play their commercials so loud is to try to "force" you to pay attention to them. The program (which is usually a piece of junk) is only there as "bait" to get you to watch the commercials. It seems tv is becomming just another way for greedy mega-corporations to manipulate people into buying stuff. Mad
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 9:53 pm

TV Programs being interrupted by commercials is something I don’t miss where I live. I’m always reminded of how frequent it is when I visit my home in the States. Where I now live, commercials are at the beginning and/or at the end of the program. In some cases, there are no commercials due to public supported channels. In America our programming is supported by commercials and they try to squeeze in as many as possible. To me it is irritating. To others, it gives them time to grab another beer, a snack or go to the John. Perhaps that’s why the commercials are so frequent. They make sure you see some whether you like it or not since the beer is not yet empty and the mouth is still full when they hit you with another commercial as they smile and say, “gotcha.”
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 6:07 am

Abe I didn't know that the commercials were done differently in Germany - what a good idea! I know somewhere I read about them shortening programs even more to take advantage of our distracted natures because people are so used to commercial breaks. It's become such an issue that some of the adult education workshops, they recommend that the facilitators chunk the information into 10 minute pieces, because that reflects peoples "television-ized" schedules. What a nightmare--and we're encouraging it!
affraid
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 6:24 am

Some time ago, perhaps in Italy(?) they devoted several hours to nothing but comercials, and did not have any on regular programming. There was a report that the hours of commercials drew more viewers than regular programming!! Now we have zillions of info-mercials. And sadly, people even watch them. What does that say about viewers and more importantly about the quality of programming? Don't you just love PBS? I know I do!!
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 10:22 am

It seems to be certain channels that do it, and they do it almost every time. I used to hit the mute button, but now I hit the 'off' button. That works even better!
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 10:38 am

It seems that too many aspects of too many people's lives are dominated by television. Here in the United States, the average person watches something like 4 hours of tv every day and in an hour of television, there can be more than 15 minutes of commercials. Anyone who takes the time to observe will notice that tv has affected everything from people's attention spans to their spending habits. confused Speaking of commercials, another thing I've noticed is that products advertised on tv are usually no where near as good as they say they are. In fact, most are total worthless junk (I'm talking about the things they sell on tv for $19.95). Twisted Evil It's amazing that people actually find info-mercials worth watching, after all, their only purpose is to try to convince you to buy some worthless garbage you don't need and probably wouldn't ordinarily buy.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 11:14 am

Karina, I agree with you about the computer being an addiction as bad as watching T.V. Hubby watching T.V. I am on the computer whether online or not: writing, marketing, posting, blogging, you name it. I definitely need to spend more time outside. I love what Abe said about energy creating energy. I have to remember that one! Wink
sunny
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 5:07 pm

Alright, I might just change my mind about movie watching too. This evening we popped a DVD in that my sister found on sale (not always a bad sign but in this case it was). Supposed to be kind of a thriller (not my favourite kind of movie, but once in a while I can handle it). Well, here I am on the computer. What a dud.

Last edited by Pam on Wed May 14, 2008 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Knowing how I like old-fashioned comedy, my family recently sent me DVD's of "Frazier, Get Smart, Family Ties and Newhart." What pleasure and enjoyment to see good comedy without a lot of obsenity. I wouldn't want to be associated with people whose vocabulary is so limited that they need obsenity to constantly fill in the gaps. I cannot identify with films that contain the same sort of dialog. I'm not a goody-goody and I do engage in the use of obsenity, but it is rare. Most often it happens out of frustration or to make a particular point. And since it is rare, my point is usually made.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hooked on TV? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hooked on TV?   Hooked on TV? Empty

Back to top Go down

Hooked on TV?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next