Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How early have you been hooked?

Go down 
+6
Dick Stodghill
Abe F. March
Sue
alice
RunsWithScissors
Charlie Moore
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

How early have you been hooked? Empty
PostSubject: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 7:45 pm

I got to thinking about a book a read many years ago and began thinking about how quickly it hooked me. With this particular book I was hooked with the first word. The first word was the first sentence. The book began with the word Heat. This single word, the first word, made me want to read more. Of course, I had read and enjoyed numerous other books by this author. The name of the book is Overload and the author is Arthur Hailey.

Has anyone been hooked that quickly? I realize I was influenced by the author, but the first word in this novel really was the hook for me.

Charlie
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Sometimes a title has hooked me, even before I opened the book or read the back jacket.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Never hooked by one word--guess I am a hard-sell.

Last edited by Alice on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 9:03 pm

I have been hooked on the first sentence but it had more than one word. If I am not hooked by about the 3 page or so, it is labor for me to finish the chapter to give the author a chance. I have found that sometimes if I get to the end of the first chapter the hook will be there, so I am then glad I read that far.

I believe, though, the hook needs to be set at least on the first page if possible, the second at the most.

Anyone elses thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 9:54 pm

The first three words of a book I once started to read caused me to put it down.
It began, "Life is difficult." That was the summation of the entire book and I didn't want to read a few hundred pages to arrive at the same conclusion.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 3:45 am

Abe F. March wrote:
The first three words of a book I once started to read caused me to put it down.
It began, "Life is difficult." That was the summation of the entire book and I didn't want to read a few hundred pages to arrive at the same conclusion.

Very wise decision.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:53 am

If everybody just did what I have repeatedly told them to do and read the books and short stories of Cornell Woolrich (pseudonym William Irish) they would be hooked by titles alone. Here was the greatest of all writers of suspense so knowing that could you not read:
I wouldn't be in your shoes
Charley won't be home tonight
I'll take you home, Kathleen
The black path of fear
He became so good at it that he could use one- or two-word titles and horrible things were conjued up in your mind: Hotel Room; Rear Window, Mannequin. The premise of his final short story, For the Rest of Her Life, was so horrible it could never be forgotten. He never had to resort to paranormal props. He knew the most fearsome of all creatures is man. Or sometimes woman.
When he died there was a scrap of paper in his pocket with the words "First you dream, then you die." No one has ever been certain if it was the title for a story or the way he felt about his life.
Someday I may again write about this haunted man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Mike Nevins used it for his biography of Woolrich.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:39 pm

Back when I read in my bed with a flashlight under the covers, "Once Upon A Time" released my day into the night of imagination and always made me feel better. The words that followed told some lovely story that had not one thing to do with my life. Drifting off into another world. Once Upon A Time hooked and enfolded me.

Once Upon A Time hooked me on reading , The stories were not my life. The wonderful stories from so many minds inspired so many dreams that I could see in the middle of the dark nights. When I discovered Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, well, my world enlarged past the city dump and into mystery.

I know that children today do not know those old stories that I know by my heart. Every word, each illustration, each vision I had of little children that were not me is stored within me.

I was talking to someone the other day and mentioned The Little Red Hen. I told her how the little chicken worked so hard and asked for help from all around her to no avail.

This person said, "Never heard of the hen, tell me about that."

You know I did, word for word. I know that is a little nuts on my part.

So, I would have to say, Once Upon A Time is the best hook ever written.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:34 am

Charlie,
Sometimes the book's front cover, if it has a nice picture, can hook me. You know what they say: a picture is worth a thousand words. Next to this would be the title: I would much rather read "A midsummer night's dream" than "Who framed Roger Rabbit?"
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 6:31 am

My book of fairy tales is titled, "Now Is Once Upon a Time." It is a group of nine fairy tales, on amazon at a ridiculous price or available through my website for $15. No, it wasn't published by PA but by Lulu where one is supposed to be able to choose their book's price. It is not the price I chose.

I am just venting here, but those once upon a time words are important.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:33 am

Once, years ago, I was browsing in a bookstore, and came across a title that intrigued me so much that I bought the book. When I got home, and began to read it, I realized that the book's premise had nothing to do with what I read into the title, so I put it on the shelf. Several years later, when i was in a very bad place in my life, a friend made a comment which reminded me of the premise of that forgotten book. I went home, pulled it from the shelf, and started to read. Lo, and behold, I found myself reading about my current problem, and found the precise answers I needed to move beyond the struggle that had been keeping me stuck in that bad place.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Dear Carol,
Your book, Now Is Once Upon A Time is one of a kind. the illustrations are lovely and the stories are beautiful.

Thank you for understanding the Once Upon A Time thing.

I was awake last night thinking how, It Was A Dark And Stormy Night, could be used in that same way to tell little mysteries to children.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How early have you been hooked?   How early have you been hooked? Empty

Back to top Go down

How early have you been hooked?
Page 1 of 1