Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday Empty
PostSubject: Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday   Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 7:59 pm

The following article is very interesting as it speaks to the possible future of books in the retail space. As books move more into the "just another product" category that can be sold, discounted and stocked in every nook an cranny it will also impact the writers who are downstream. While Wal-mart may blow out bestsellers for 8.98, they don't have the shelf space of a Borders or Barnes and Noble. Narrower shelf space rolls back to the publishers' ability to get new titles in front of buyers.

Retailers in general aren't expecting to do boffo business on Black Friday, but big box bookstores Barnes & Noble (BKS) and Borders (BGP) might be excused for their more intense states of anxiety. Both companies issued quarterly reports Tuesday morning, and based on earnings and sales, both have good reason to be nervous that the holidays won't deliver for them.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11/24/big-box-bookstores-dont-see-a-happy-ending-ahead-for-holiday-sa/
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday   Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 8:48 pm

11/27/2009

DT...

I'm shocked and yet I can't understand why
the price of books keep sky rocketing ? Even paper backs
now cost a bloody fortune....I guess we just have to keep
hopeing things will turn around and soon..

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday   Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 12:40 pm

My day job has taken me into a lot of Borders stores but sadley this week Borders has ceased trading here in the UK I don't know how they stand in the US?
For the company I work for this has been quit a blow and will leave some unpaid bills. I feel sure that this is a sign of things to come in the publishing sector. Change is happening for better or worse who knows?
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday   Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 12:42 pm

The Borders shops are supposed to be staying open until a buyer is found or so the news said last night.
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday   Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 2:56 am

Yes I understand they may be in the hands of recievers.
The company I work for has been instructed that any existing contract they have with them is null and void.
I heard something about a management buy out. I have heard some confusing and conflicting news reports about all this. But I'm sure we will find out.
Seeing that woolworths has started trading again only online that might be the future for Borders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday   Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday Empty

Back to top Go down

Big box bookstores don't see happy ending ahead for holiday
Page 1 of 1