Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment Empty
PostSubject: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 10:14 pm

An insular upbringing can be repressive. Many Fundamentalists churches sought to maintain the faith of their flock by discouraging higher education. Enlightenment was a catalyst to revolt.

Blind Patriotism can be a detriment to truth. Being fed the party line and/or being influenced to believe that what one’s country does is always right, can cause revolt when truth is known.

I revolted. My first revolt was with the religious philosophy taught by my church. I wondered why our doctrine was right and all others wrong. When I entered the USAF, I sought answers by attending different denominational services on the military bases where I was assigned. My learning caused me to revolt against the dogma of my church. My next and more significant
enlightenment was when I went to the Middle East as an entrepreneur with my headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon. My knowledge of the Middle East, Islam and the Arabs was learned via the media. I was a patriot and supported the views held by my country. What I witnessed caused a revolt in my thinking and attitude toward the participants in the M.E. struggle. I saw atrocities committed that were subsequently denied by the perpetrators my country supported. I saw the squalor in which refugees were forced to live having been evicted from their homes. I witnessed a civil war that was depicted by the west as a religious war – Christians against Muslims. The facts proved otherwise. The revolt was against injustice. Democratic elections did not decide who would govern but rather a power-based minority backed by the west. The revolt resulting in a civil war was inevitable.

I visited Iran when the Shah was still in power, supported by America. He ruled with an iron hand and was overthrown by a radical religious group. People predominantly illiterate succumb to promises for a better life and are ripe for rebellion. To raise the banner of a righteous cause, real or contrived, is often used as means for revolt.

Revolutions, both cultural and political, have occurred throughout history with people rising up in revolt against injustice and subjugation. The fight for more equality is currently underway in Saudi Arabia where women seek more freedom. People are no longer as ignorant of world affairs due to worldwide communication via the Internet and media and more revolt can be expected.

To grow, to progress means change. Those unwilling to change or who are encouraged to uphold antiquated ideals, instigate revolt.

History repeats itself. Revolutions and injustice will continue.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 2:38 am

Thanks Abe! What a comfort to know we will still be reading blog posts! Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 3:24 am

Abe,

Good thoughts I believe in. But what about the revolt? Can we have revolt without tumult?

Last year I read a book titled, 1968, a tumulutuous year in the history of the world with riots from Chicago to Paris. Then there are the revolts of the people of the Eastern Block countries in the late 1980s, as when the Berlin Wall and others came down without the tumult of violent wars. It was seismic.

Can we have revolt without tumult? Can we have change without violence?

Like a woman who grew up under Communism told me, "Communist countries had good education systems, but if one only learns one side of an issue, how can one improve one's country." That comment is embedded in my heart and soul.

It took our country over almost 150 years to give the vote to women, and Almost 100 to free the slaves and another one hundred of revolt against segregation.

Can there be revolt that brings about change in a timely fashion without violence?

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 4:26 am

Carol,

Think of Perestroika. We celebrated the fall of the Berlin Wall just this week. That period of time, the late 80's and early 90's, saw several examples of relatively peaceful revolutions. I think another one is occurring now, a worldwide realization of the value of people in general, and a grass-roots insistence that our government and business leaders become accountable. We are in the middle of some pretty profound changes. Our worldview is shifting. It will be tumultuous, but perhaps fewer circumstances where violence becomes the primary solution. I remember Alvin Toffler's book, Future Shock, and his description of the three sources of power: violence, wealth, and information. This new Information Age has the potential for resettling from the chaos through less violent means.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 6:14 am

alj wrote:
Carol,

I think another one is occurring now, a worldwide realization of the value of people in general, and a grass-roots insistence that our government and business leaders become accountable. We are in the middle of some pretty profound changes. Our worldview is shifting. It will be tumultuous, but perhaps fewer circumstances where violence becomes the primary solution. I remember Alvin Toffler's book, Future Shock, and his description of the three sources of power: violence, wealth, and information.
Ann

However there is instilling fear in people to have power over them, and that is occurring. We see statements of those who don't want change saying we are heading for destruction unless we stay the same.

Carol
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 7:03 am

Yes, Carol and there is where the problem lies. For those in that Old Reality, violence and control are still the norm. But I think that Obama's election marked a turn in the tide, not just here but world over, and that maybe we can keep going in the direction of (relatively) peaceful solutions.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 7:52 am

Carol,
yes there can be revolt without violence, but that is rare.
Revolt starts in the mind. From there it becomes vocal either by word or the written word. Leaders who come to terms with the inevitability of change, make the necessary adjustments to avoid violence. Most often they will change only when forced to do so, which is too often the case.
As for the Berlin Wall, many people died over the years trying to escape. The revolt began when the wall went up and didn't end until it came down.

Ann, the book, "Future Shock" was a work of genius.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 8:24 am

Abe,

Sounds like the GOP. The holding of antiquated ideologies. fits them perfectly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 8:44 am

The Berlin Wall is an amazing story of the desire for freedom.

In speaking of the medical bill, someone said we needed a "leap of faith." I believe that is what is needed.

I leap a lot. Well, I wish I could physically, but it does happen in my mind.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 9:32 am

Carol,
Physical leaping is not necessary. Your mental leaps more than compensate.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Abe,

Thank goodness. Just thinking of leaping was scary.

Carol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment   Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment Empty

Back to top Go down

Blog: Revolution begins with Enlightenment
Page 1 of 1