Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Dirt Roads

Go down 
+3
E. Don Harpe
alice
Abe F. March
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:22 am

Dirt roads by Paul Harvey
http://famguardian.org/Subjects/FamilyIssues/Articles/DirtRoads/DirtRoads.htm
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 am

I miss Paul Harvey--great show!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 11:46 am

At some point in my life, a few years ago I believe, I became more in tune with days past than with days present, and certainly not with days future. I noticed that I became more nostalgic as I grew older, and that the golden days of my youth seemed much better than the strained days of my now, when health and financial problems have taken much of the joy out of everything.

I love the picture that this Dirt Road message paints for me, and remember most of it more than I need to. I long for simpler days, and a less complicated life.

That is, I did until recently. In August we moved from the paved roads and the streets with night lights everywhere, and now find ourselves at the end of not one, but two dirt roads. The lifestyle is simpler indeed, the air smells better, the sky is bluer, and all is good...until it rains. Ten drops of rain and the red clay Georgia dirt road turns more slippery than any ice that has ever accumulated on any northern road. A sideways slip slide into the ditch is not something one thinks may happen, it is something that we all know will happen, we just aren't sure when.

I'm not sure I want the road paved. I don't want to go back down that same old road again, the one that led me to want the simpler life. But I sure would like to see the county dump a few loads of course white gravel down the entire length of the road, from the pavement of highway 240, to the drive that finds its way to our mailbox.

I find that now I long for gravel roads, rather than dirt roads, and wonder if there might be something else about the more current way of life that I might miss should I be faced with doing without it on a daily basis.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Can't stop laughing, Don. I've been down those Georgia red clay dirt roads and know that feeling of suddenly finding yourself on your butt. Trying to get back on your feet was fun, too.

Paul Harvey's piece is nice, but I never remember a time like that. Not in Detroit, then in transient camps, then in increasingly larger cities. A pleasant, simple view of numerous complex problems.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 12:11 pm

Thank you Abe for the link. Dirt Roads Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Almost all summer we had a dirt road the three miles to our house from town. The highways department reminded people it was a construction zone. The people were unsuccessful in getting the highways department to understand it was our only way into town. There were ruts as deep as our tires. Our car often bottomed out. No one helped or showed the way. One day you'd go one way and the next you'd go another. Our car was constantly in need of a wash.

Then they put on gravel, various layers. Some were more like little pieces of cement that stuck everywhere, in wheels and wheel wells, and under the car.

Now there is a beautiful paved road. Like someone said, "I didn't know we needed a super highway between Prairie du Sac, population a few thousand, and Merrimac, population a few hundred. However, there are no lines, no guard rails as parts are high and past roads are closed. There is no signage and we now live off a frontage road where others have no idea where to turn. It is dark, very dark, and a few lights or reflectors would be nice.

The simple life is good. I think we can have it without giving up our safe way from point A to point B.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 1:01 pm

The house was at least a hundred yards from the dirt road which ran in front of it. Those last yards of open grazing land between the road and the house were the hardest and bumpiest to maneuver. I was almost an adult when the "boys" remodeled it, putting an enclosed bath on the back porch and completely enclosing the front porch, turning it into a family room that ran the whole length of the front.
Dirt Roads John%20C%27s%20childhood%20home

I think the house had a lot more charm before they closed that porch in. You can see a bit of it in this picture of Granma and Uncle Feagin. That's my dad facing the house.

Dirt Roads Berta%20and%20Feagin%20adult

But then, I never had to live there full time. I did learn to drive on that road, though. The sentimental feelings don't erase with time. It is still one of my favorite places. As an adult, though, my rational mind can grasp why Mom and her brothers wanted to get away so badly.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 10:33 pm

I think most of we older folks experienced dirt roads and the never ending dust and mud. Trying to keep down the dust unknowingly caused environmental problems. People were pleased when oil trucks would spread used oil on the dirt roads. They didn't realize that it would seep into the water systems and cause untold other environmental problems. That is often the case where we don't know what damage we are causing until the damage is done.

With dirt roads there was no need for speed limits. In winter, if you were snowed-in there was no snow plow. You used the horse to pull out the car when it got stuck. You also used a horse-drawn sleigh to haul groceries from the closest store that was several miles distant or you just back-packed it. Of course there were no fancy backpacks but rather a feed sack that one slung over the shoulder.

We often look back on the good ol days remembering the good things, the solitude and the simple life while ignoring the hard work required just to survive. In the old days one could survive without government help by raising your own food and storing/preserving for the winter months. Guns were used for hunting and the food was a necessary supplement.

The world has changed. Memories of days gone by are becoming history. That is the book I'm now working on.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 3:45 am

The dust of our road this summer was a problem to me and caused respiratory problems. When we drove to Alaska, there were many dirt roads, since they were most practical with the frost heaves in the winter. They were regularly maintained.

I like the present days. I love life in our cabin, where somehow one is isolated, but there are strong friendships. I liked the days when obtaining more material possessions wasn't the norm.

But the technology today is exciting and can be life-saving.

Medical treatment is advanced, but environment has caused many of the medical problems we have.

I also think those days of being responsible, saving money before buying a house, etc., were important.

Good writing Abe.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Sponsored content

Dirt Roads Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt Roads   Dirt Roads Empty

Back to top Go down

Dirt Roads
Page 1 of 1