Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

How Does One Become a Book Agent?

Go down 
+7
Malcolm
Shelagh
dmondeo
kdu
Dick Stodghill
A Ahad
alice
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Book Agent?   How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:41 am

LC wrote:
Alice wrote:
David's book is on Amazon. Where is yours?

It's on various free sites. I'm waiting for it to take off.

So we are in the same boat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Book Agent?   How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:49 am

LC wrote:
Shelagh wrote:
300 of the 500 copies of the first Harry Potter novel were placed in school libraries so that children could read them FOR FREE.

And this means ...what? Did JK pay out of her pocket to donate the books to the library? How does this tie in to anything? If you're trying to make the point that promotion is necessary to sell books, when did I ever say otherwise?
Out of context, LC.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Book Agent?   How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:51 am

DK,

Glad you came back!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Book Agent?   How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 7:51 am

LC wrote:
Alice wrote:
David's book is on Amazon. Where is yours?

It's on various free sites. I'm waiting for it to take off.
How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 Icon_lol How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 Icon_lol How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 Icon_lol How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 Icon_lol How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 Icon_lol How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Book Agent?   How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 8:37 am

I am quite ready to express my opinion; and delighted to have someone else express theirs. I prefer civil conversations, however. I was taught that when a conversation disintegrates to name calling and personal attacks, it is because the antagonist is short on ideas and facts and needs to create an emotional response from their opponent so the opponent takes a defensive position and loses ground. It is a debate tactic that works quite well.

It's used quite often on forums, usually by someone speaking on a subject beyond their intellectual grasp or information base. Rather than admit they are on shakey ground, they go in for the attack. I see that quite often with our friend, LC. I find that strategy on LC's part disappointing because with a more forthright position, LC does have contributions of interest. The attack mode, however, combined with the total lack of verified credits, diminishes LC's credibility.

I value the opportunity to test my thoughts here, take a break from writing and be among colleagues I've shared with since I began this publishing sojourn three years ago. I also value my ability to leave when the convivial atmosphere is clouded by a person bent on creating dissonance.

There are as many opinions regarding marketing and promotion as there are people seeking recognition for themselves and their product. Some "experts" in the field say basic requirements today include: a web site; an Internet presence in Linkedin, Facebook and Twitter; a blog/newsletter and an email list of prospectives. I highly recommend a newsletter from Penny Sansvieri (sp) MarketingExperts.com (I think). No one person could follow all her suggestions (she also sells stuff; beware), but one good idea might be all it takes. None of the above work unless they are optimized and maximized; and that may take a computer person.

I also believe in dreams. I believe also that sometimes the joy is in the dream itself, not in its realization.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Book Agent?   How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 9:01 am

How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 950944Well said dk.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Book Agent?   How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 11:28 am

I have always belived that success is the progressive realization of a worth ideal. Having a goal, something to strive for, is the motivation that makes life worthwhile. There are setbacks and detours along the way, but if the goal is realistic and something you want bad enough, it can be achieved with persistence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Does One Become a Book Agent?   How Does One Become a Book Agent? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

How Does One Become a Book Agent?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3