Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Family Coat of Arms

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Family Coat of Arms Empty
PostSubject: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 1:06 pm

I did a drawing of the Kennedy family coat of arms in photoshop (the design can be found on the internet). Rather than spending $29.95 to get a copy of it from some coat of arms site, I drew it up myself. If I can remember correctly, the white background stands for peace and purity, the color red stands for courage, bravery, and eagerness to serve, and black stands for consistancy. The crosses stand for "unshakable faith" and the chevron stands for protection. I also have a personal coat of arms that I've written about on the forum some months earlier.

Family Coat of Arms Kenned10
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 2:38 pm

I like that cross. Do you know if it has a name?

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:14 pm

The name of that type of cross is right in the blazon. It's a Cross Crosslet Fitchy (at least that's the technical heraldic term for it).
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:17 pm

By the way, that type of cross is supposed to represent a combination of a cross and a sword.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:45 pm

Dear Peter,
Can you do a coat of arms for any family name? I am facinated by coats of arms. I would like to present my David with one for Christmas. His name is Knowell. Is there a chance?

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Go to a web site that sells family coats of arms, such as www.houseofnames.com or www.heraldry.ws or www.historicalnames.com and search for the name. You might be able to see a thumbnail of the coat of arms of the site and this will allow you to draw a bigger version in Photoshop (if you're into doing graphic art). You'll have to download some heraldic custom shapes to do this, they can be found by searching the internet for Photoshop Custom Shapes. Also, you might be able to purchase a ready-made image of your coat of arms from one of these sites. There are a lot of free coats of arms at www.heraldry.ws.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Here's a link to a the Knowell arms at the house of names:
http://www.houseofnames.com/fc.asp?sId=&s=knowell
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 4:19 pm

Dear Peter,
What a nice thing you have done for me! I have saved that site on my favorites to look at in detail. What beauty is in your spirit!

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Betty Fasig wrote:
Dear Peter,
What a nice thing you have done for me! I have saved that site on my favorites to look at in detail. What beauty is in your spirit!

Love,
Betty

Family Coat of Arms 78793
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 5:41 pm

I did one of these coat of arms certificates for my personal coat of arms too.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 6:10 pm

While searching the internet, I came upon an alternative version of the kennedy arms, though I think I like the first version better. I drew the alternate version up in photoshop anyway. This version has three helmets on it, which would make some sense, as I read on the internet that one possible meaning of Kennedy is "Helmeted Head." My parents, however, always told me that the name meant "Ugly Chief." I've also read that "Ugly Head" is a possible translation. Personally, I think "Helmeted Head" sounds the nicest.

Family Coat of Arms Kenned11
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 6:21 pm

I just looked up the symbolism in the second Kennedy coat of arms. The helmets stand for wisdom, security, strength, and protection. The color black is for consistancy and white is for peace and purity. The blazon of the shield in the above post would be : Sable, three helmets Argent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Family Coat of Arms   Family Coat of Arms Empty

Back to top Go down

Family Coat of Arms
Page 1 of 1