Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog Empty
PostSubject: Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog   Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 2:16 am

Check out the discussion, Is Writing Replacing Reading?, on the Visual Arts blog. The points made are very interesting. Please join in and give your take on what's happening in the world of publishing today:

http://www.visualartsjunction.com/?p=2933#idc-container
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog   Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 3:28 am

That is interesting Shelagh.
For me, my reading habits have not changed since I started writing.
There are always moments in my day when I need to read.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog   Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 am

Shelagh,

It's an interesting discussion and you did a great job getting it started.

As always, I feel like the "odd man out" in these kinds of discussions because companies like Lulu, PublishAmerica and iUniverse have made it relatively easy for everyone to write a book. It's viewed as so democratic and wonderful that nothing's stopping anyone from being a published writer.

Why, I wonder, is writing so quickly grabbed up as a field that requires no training, natural talent, or years of practice? Saying anyone can write a viable book is just as absurd as saying anyone can play a trumpet like Louis Armstrong or anyone can sing like a diva or anyone can be a brain surgeon if they just decided to do it.

When I was younger, I started listening to the recordings of famous organists who specialized in Bach's toccatas and fugues. I always thought it would be cool to walk up to a monster-sized pipe organ, sit down with no effort, and play the fantastic Toccata and Fugue in D minor. It would be a thrill, not to mention the fact it would surprise and impress those standing around who didn't know I could do it.

Writing draws dreams like that, dreams of those who really want to have written more than they want to write. They want to sit there with their own bestselling novel as much as I dreamt of hearing a theatre full of applause for playing classical organ music with absolutely no training and practice.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog   Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 10:06 am

I agree, Malcolm. It is astonishing. The catch twenty-two is that without thousands of ordinary people pursuing the same dream, POD publishing would not be so accessible and readily available for the few who are talented. Those who have the ability but, for one reason or another, cannot find a publisher, need venues for their work -- and that means thousands of writers have to be encouraged to do the same, otherwise there would be no Lulu, PublishAmerica or iUniverse!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog   Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 11:26 am

Yes, we not only have that catch-22, but the one of juggling our dreams and our realities.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog   Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting discussion on the Visual Arts Junction blog
Page 1 of 1