Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Social Networks and the spread of false information

Go down 
+7
Dick Stodghill
Abe F. March
thehairymob
dkchristi
Betty Fasig
alice
Shelagh
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:24 pm

dkchristi wrote:
I haven't read any of the healthcare bill and I doubt that any ordinary citizen has read any more than their bias directs them to read.

Does that include yourself? Do you consider your posts to be facts or your opinions?

Yes, there's a need in the farmworker community for healthcare. What does that have to do with what we're discussing? I'm not willing to exchange good care that I pay for, for muddy care that pays for everyone else's. Especially for illegal aliens (I've read that prenatal care for that population was included -nope, I don't want to pay a dime for that, sorry).
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Betty Fasig wrote:
Dear LC
Do you eat?

Thankan illegal for that food. Do you have an idea what a tomato would cost you if you had legal Americans plant it, tend it, pick it and pack

This old chestnut. Betty, when I grew up, migrant out-of-country farmworkerswere never an issue, yet, amazingly, we could afford tomatoes and lettuce. How did we do it?

And just what WOULD those tomatoes cost? Can you quantify it? Would they be kept in glass cases, like in jewelry stores?

I call BS on this whole scare-tactic propaganda.

BTW, much of our produce is now shipped from South America, due to cheap air travel. Americans still wouldn't be picking it.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:30 pm

A good article on health care for prisoners:

http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/2008/02/msoc1-0802.html

You were right, LC, I didn't know much about that facet of health care.

A man from our small town hospital talked to me about my Mayo Clinic experience, where they put patients through tests until they find the diagnosis. He said he would love to have something like that in our small hospital. I'd love to work on something like that.

Sometimes people sponsor benefits for those with large medical bills.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:46 pm

My opinion is that this country is an embarassment in its lack of a universal healthcare system. My opinion is that a developed country of the GNP enjoyed in the U.S. has the resources to provide preventive and medical healthcare as a right. I believe in human dignity, regardless of the origins of that person. Part of human dignity is the right to an education, the right to seek employment and the right to receive medical care (beyond the food, shelter, etc.).

I believe these rights make my life more comfortable. Healthy children grow up to be healthy adults who are more likely to contribute to my well-being. Healthy people are more likely to support themselves and work and pay taxes. If I am surrounded by people who receive medical treatment when needed and who are provided the healthy living information to prevent the need for medical treatment, then I am less likely to be sick from communicable diseases. My employees are more likely to take fewer sick days as are other employees, and that helps the GNP. For these and many more reasons, my desire for universal healthcare is self-serving.

Beyond that, I have a factual background to refute many of the emotional arguments that malign one group of people or another. These facts are not my opinion, they are from my database.

My opinion is that if we take our concentration and place it on the actual words that define the proposed programs, in their entirety, not what is fed to us on any of the issues, and look at our needs as a society as a whole, we would have more in common than we think. However, it is a political ploy to emphasize the differences and destroy the good. (my opinion based on serving as a political intern for the National Association of Manufacturers, a Republican lobbyist group, in Washington, D.C., working for them and for other Washington, D. C. lawyers and political entities.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:55 pm

DK,

Very well said. People should not be valued according to their wealth.
We need to somehow get past that.

Last edited by Alice on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:58 pm

I live where I live. I know who who picks the fruit, the vegetables and who plants and cares for them. They are not other countries. Walmart ships all this stuff in and so do other grocers. Back when you are talking about, which you know nothing about, labor wage for WHITE people was not as much as for the Mexican labor we have now. It was long ago. The American people do NOT do the work on their farms as the old days may suggest. No. Not even 50 years ago did they do it. The only time they did do it was in the depression. And then, most would stand in a soup line rather than do the labor.

Labor is a nasty word. I see no dishonor in labor. I do it every day of my life.

I remember tomatoes, too. I remember grocery stores, too. Living did not deal with all the people to be fed or the high-faluting expectations people have now when they go to the store. I remember it well. In the meat counter was chicken, not all cut up into the portions you prefer, but whole..get the whole shebang chicken and boil the part you did not like much for soup, hamburger...not the many percentages of fat content you can select this day, a roast that weighed 8 pounds, no steaks, no pork chops, no fancy cuts.

I say, LC, you do not know what your are talking about and have no idea how we came to this point where you think
"BTW, much of our produce is now shipped from South America, due to cheap air travel. Americans still wouldn't be picking it. "
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:08 pm

IOW, your answer to why tomatoes were affordable 40 years ago was because people didn't have high-falutin expectations. Ok. You still didn't answer what horrible price tomatoes would cost now if you weren't able to hire illegals to work your farm for sub-minimum wage. Which you're making clear is a common practice for you.

Oh well.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:13 pm

I just looked at LC's listing. Perhaps LC is simply baiting and not posting real beliefs. The rest of us are putting our hearts on our sleeves and revealing a lot about who we really are (I gave my whole resume) and how we think and feel. LC is very careful to reveal nothing but rather to state opinions that seem to lack a factual understanding and often create a rush to point out the falacy of what LC states - on many subjects. I've made my comments for the night and am glad to be in the company of people who value each other and also value those with whom we share this wonderful life. Nite....

Last edited by dkchristi on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm

DK, why do you think someone who posts stuff opposite of what others post is baiting?

And by my "listing" I assume you mean my profile. We've been around this bend before -I don't see a need to post personal info about myself to the world. What benefit do I get from that?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Rhetorical question: Why are people allegedly so willing to pay more taxes so that others can have comprehensive healthcare, but not willing to pay more for tomatoes so that others can have a living wage?
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Thanks Dk.

LC, I do not have the money to hire anyone. I do all this work by my own self. If I could hire someone, I would hire a Mexican worker because they work. they do not whine, they do more than any white, black or any other color person does. If I pay a person, I pay premium wages for the work done.

PS. What does IOW mean.

Love,.Betty
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:30 pm

Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 950944 Betty

Last edited by Alice on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:33 pm

LC wrote:
Rhetorical question: Why are people allegedly so willing to pay more taxes so that others can have comprehensive healthcare, but not willing to pay more for tomatoes so that others can have a living wage?

Who cares? You don't! If we bother to answer it will be wrong. Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 798629 Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 798629 Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 798629

We will leave it for you to rectify.

Last edited by Alice on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:35 pm

Betty: IOW= In other words

I have no experience quantifying the relative work habits of different races. I have hired steady housecleaning help for the past 20 years, they've been all races, and good/poor work wasn't more prevalent in any. Same with home handywork. I also have students of all races and can't generalize who works harder or is smarter.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:36 pm

Alice -I said it was rhetorical, lol
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:40 pm

LC,

Glad you can afford hired help. I hope they have health insurance.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Dear LC,

My God! You have had slaves!? You do not even know what race they were? You are rich.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:47 pm

Alice wrote:
LC,

Are you inplying that cleaning my house is a health hazard? Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 798629
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 6:53 pm

LC wrote:
Alice wrote:
LC,

Are you inplying that cleaning my house is a health hazard? Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 798629

No! I hadn't thought that far-- worried they might bring flue to your house if they were not innoculated. lol!
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Laughing LC, I have lived in houses that I should have had health insurance to go to bed. I do not think insurance covers stuff like rats and large centipedes. I do hope you are more compassionate than these post suggest. Everyone has some glimmer of humanity. If we knew your real name, perhaps we would find that you are the benefactor of lots of little poor kids. I wonder about your huff and puff. To me it sounds like a game you play on this message board to cover up your heart.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 7:02 pm

LC,

I want to know about your childhood?

Who sired you? What was your mother like?
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 7:14 pm

Alice,
I had a dream the other night that LC was Lillian Caldwell.

I have no idea who Lillian Caldwell might be or if there is any reason to suspect that LC is she.

In my dream, Lillian was a radio personality. She did interviews for internet production.

Isn't it amazing how the mind works. Why I would have any dream about our LC is completely out of my grasp, let alone developing a complete persona for her. I have always assumed LC was a she, but now I do not really know that. LC could be either.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 9:01 pm

Betty,

You are funny. Lillian Caldwell? A radio personality?

LC, who knows who will dream about you tonight.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 7:58 am

LC,

I hope you are still wth us and your health insurance is in place.

I do want to know more about you. you are definitely one of a kind.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Alice, Betty, Carol -I am not that interesting, certainly not enough to dream about! I'm also not a benefactor to little kids. lol.

PM me if you're online!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Social Networks and the spread of false information   Social Networks and the spread of false information - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Social Networks and the spread of false information
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next