Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Is social networking working?

Go down 
+4
alj
RetiredName
alice
Shelagh
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Is social networking working? Empty
PostSubject: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 8:41 am

Facebook is a form of modern madness:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/22/social-networking-cyber-scepticism-twitter

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 8:55 am

As communicaion gets easier, it seems to be valued less.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 am

It's a tool. How useful it is/isn't is in how you use it.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 10:13 am

Get ready for this one - I agree with Chris. Shocked Shocked Shocked

It can be a valuable tool, but misused, it can turn into an invasion of privacy.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 12:20 pm

alj wrote:
Get ready for this one - I agree with Chris. Shocked Shocked Shocked

It can be a valuable tool, but misused, it can turn into an invasion of privacy.

Ann

Actually we agree on more than you think. I just don't express all my thoughts here.
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 1:45 am

It is as already said a tool. I think of it more like a digital notice board.
It seems to be used more for family and friend reunion.
I have been brought in touch with old school friend via FB.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 6:03 am

This article was a lot of hot air. Only this paragraph made sense:

"He also pointed out that the "real world" that many social media critics hark back to never really existed. Before everyone travelled on the bus or train with their heads buried in an iPad or a smart phone, they usually just travelled in silence. "We did not see people spontaneously talking to strangers. They were just keeping to themselves," Kist said."

Bingo. Pre-internet and cellphone, I used to commute a lot, and few on the bus ever talked to each other. We all read books, newspapers, or had earphones plugged in for audio tapes (books on tape, language lessons, music).

True, you go to a Starbucks and everyone's on a laptop. So? They want to get out of the house and still get work done. You want to talk to people, go to a club. No one is plugged into a laptop or headset there.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 6:25 am

Oh, I agree with the statement about bus/train passengers travelling in silence. No change there. The biggest difference, as I see it, is that talking to friends used to be free. We had telephones and we made social calls but not on a daily/hourly basis. I see young people walking along the street with a friend while talking on a mobile phone to another friend. Walking with one friend and paying to talk to another -- this has to be a form of madness.

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 7:44 am

I agree with you, Shelagh.
In personal communication, giving fulll attention to the person you're speaking with is simple courtesy.
It's a lot like someone shaking your hand and looking elsewhere. They make you feel unimportant or insignificant. Why bother talking if you are so uninterested in the person you're pretending to speak with?

Yes, commincation has been facilitated with technology, but there is much that has been lost. Visiting a friend instead of sending an email has more value.
Having a phone stuck to your head, giving little attention to who you are speaking with and even less attention to your surroundings is another loss.
Having a head stuck in a book or newspaper while traveling on public transportation was a method of killing time. Much of it was habit as well as wanting to fit in. Opportunities are lost when we are not aware of our surroundings. Technology is not the solution to that problem. Being aware of who we are, where we are, is a personal matter and choice.

Simply my opinion. I like this forum that technology provided, however I can hit the shut-down key when I choose and give attention to what's happening in the present moment.
Sometimes my wife insists on it. Is social networking working? 971369
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:35 am

It is downright rude. Unless there is an emergency, I see no reason to interrupt one conversation to take another one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 am

I waited a long time before I got a cell phone, and then, I had it just for emergencies. That was before I discovered smart phones. Now my iphone is my only phone, and it's an older model refurbished one, and I only subscribe to the basic package. I rarely text, and when I do, it's to answer something sent to me that seems important.

But my iphone is my organizer, shopping list, dictionary (even English to Spanish these days Is social networking working? 925501 ), cookbook, book reader, game player, youtube, etc.

Occasionally, (this is true) I talk to other people over it. I've never been a telephone person, and still am not. What is most annoying to me is that bluetooth thing.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 am

Quote :
It is downright rude. Unless there is an emergency, I see no reason to interrupt one conversation to take another one.

When did call waiting appear, in the late '70's? I always thought that was rude, but clearly most people thought otherwise. What we're seeing now is just another form of it.

On PBS's "Digital Nation" series they interview college students who discuss taking phone calls while talking to others. The consensus was that they all understand it, and are tolerant of it. It wasn't perceived as rude.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 9:58 am

Rude or not, it's still paying to talk to someone when there are other people around to talk to for free. Madness.

Btw, no one should ever believe that what they have to say is important enough to pay to say it.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 10:23 am

Another rude thing that people using cell phones fail to acknowledge is that their conversations are annoying to others. Receiving calls in restuarants is just one example. At one time, and it may still be true, people would have other call them at a specific time so they could take the call feel important. Lots of insecure people still play those games.

Several years ago, my wife and I were on vacation in the Alps. During the complimentary breakfast buffet, a lady at the next table got a call. She talked loudly annoying everyone. When she finished, I said loud enough for her to hear, "I think I'll go and get my cigar and have that with my coffee." The woman gave me a dirty look. I got up and went to the toilet. When I returned the couple had departed. I figured, if she was polluting the air with noise, I would threaten to pollute her air space with smoke. I don't smoke cigars, however at that time we both smoked cigarettes. Would have loved to blow smoke in her direction.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Quote :
Facebook is a form of modern madness:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/22/social-networking-cyber-scepticism-twitter
What do you think?

living next to an old age home, and still haunted by those memories of his mother surrounded by a bunch of lone silent old folk parked forgottenly in front of a droning television, the goblin's attitude remains one that normal socializing ill serves the old here, saying "...and perhaps facebook is not the answer either, since facebook too is very dependent of visuals such as ones looks and status, etc., so just give me forumland, let me hide my age and looks for their superficial irrelevance to our communication now...", in fact, since the goblin was the only one in the bistro this wet dull gray morning, he had asked the owner to turn off the pop music for once, whereupon a silence reminiscent of a library had taken over from there then, yet within this silence his mind eagerly raced across those written words typed upon the open slot once more, saying "...so why shout when you can talk, and why talk when you can write it down, and why just write when you can readily communicate it across forumland, yet I can still shout where need be, but do I really need to shout where you can hear my voice clearly through these words you read of me..."

Is social networking working? Massive-Attack%E2%80%99s-Saturday-Comes-Slow-by-Adam-Broomberg-and-Oliver-Chanarin-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is social networking working?   Is social networking working? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is social networking working?
Page 1 of 1